Author Topic: As we all suspected: Proglofyte worship of ACA is only ceremonial  (Read 1542 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
orleans (25,455 posts)

obamacare still not affordable for everyone

family of 3, had to leave the house they rented and stayed with a friend for several months (essentially they were homeless), public aid renewal didn't get renewed because all their paperwork was lost in boxes in storage, mom has myriad of health issues, dad drives uber, son lost fast food job because they finally managed to get their own apartment forty five minutes from where the kid worked and he doesn't have a drivers license (and of course has no car) and mom can't drive. they were behind on apartment rent and got an eviction notice already. hopefully they will be able to scrape the rent money together. so...no public aid, no insurance

they tried to apply for obamacare.

$2,000 per month!

vsrazdem (21 posts)
2. I know what you mean.

Take home net pay is 2400 monthly. Mortgage and utilities come to 1800 a month. I tried to sign up for Obama-care and it was going to be 1000 a month for me. I started a new job in July and was told I would be eligible for insurance in November. I work at home, and have sent them 3 emails to sign up for the insurance and hear crickets, so have no insurance. There is no way I can afford 1000 a month. Thank God can sign up for Medicare in September. PS: No tax break for me either. With the new tax plan I will pay about 25 more a year, which I could care less about if it was going for something worthwhile, and not the 1%.

TlalocW (11,358 posts)
3. It's never been affordable for me

Paying the penalty costs about the same as one month of healthcare for me.

TlalocW

Puzzledtraveller (5,765 posts)
7. I am Medicaid caseworker in Ky

Prior to shifting our exchange to Healthcare.gov "we" as in my agency handled all applications. Our system of course would check households against Medicaid income scales then if over it would apply the advanced premium tax credit. Some of these households and individuals would be barely over the income limit for any of the Medicaid programs and we expanded Medicaid, so they would be approved for the tax credit which was various amount depending on several factors. Most of the families and individuals decided not to buy anything, not even the bronze plans with a decent tax credit to help offset their premium cost because they just did not have anything left to spare at all. All my personal opinion and experience so not speaking for anyone but myself but I support universal healthcare. Some say the ACA was the first step in that direction but I never felt that way, and if it was, we are definitely not headed that way now.

NCTraveler (25,061 posts)
17. If the choice is between food, shelter or health insurance...

People are going to go with a bite to eat and a roof over their head.

The push to have healthcare viewed as a right is a righteous fight. This isn’t a choice Americans should have to be making. Anyone, for that matter.

JimBeard (288 posts)
4. Is this in ststes like Texas where the Republican governors refused to accept the extra Medicaid?

pnwmom (87,189 posts)
6. Was it a red state or a blue state? What kind of public aid were they getting that wasn't renewed?

It seems odd that a renewal would require a lot of old paperwork.

I know someone on Medicaid here and she got everything done online.

orleans (25,455 posts)
12. illinois

and i don't know the details or types of aid
i know they had medicaid and now they don't
the mom has breathing problems and uses an inhaler that costs around $300 or more a month (if she used it the way she is supposed to--which she can't afford to do half the time)

pnwmom (87,189 posts)
13. If there's a Catholic Community Services or a Lutheran Community Services

or similar org in their city, I would suggest that they call them and ask for a referral. They can connect a person to needed services regardless of whether the person has a religious affiliation or not.

I'm trying to understand the $2K a month. Maybe they didn't realize that they (on an Uber income and no assets) should qualify for a substantial subsidy.

If the problem is the lack of records, they can call the IRS and ask for a copy of last year's tax return.

Private organizations?!?!

RELIGIOUS private organization?!?!

HERESY!!1!

jpak (33,521 posts)
14. Bullshit

You can get a Bronze plan for $0 premium.

If they are that poor - they qualify for Medicaid - not Obamacare.

try again

NCTraveler (25,061 posts)
15. How long has it been out?

The ACA was never affordable for everyone. The exchange isn’t the best option for a majority. It wasn’t designed to be in its initial stage. It was overall a huge plus and many of its features made life better for millions and harmed few. About twelve million people have policies using the exchange. I hope they can find a different option as there are many available.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100210017477
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Re: As we all suspected: Proglofyte worship of ACA is only ceremonial
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 07:33:27 AM »
Remember when 45 million people would become instantly insured by just passing Obamacare? I do. What happened, primitives?

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 08:58:39 AM »
When  the R tax plan killed off the individual mandate, DU-folk were saying it would kill millions. When DU-folk discuss OhBummer!Care $$ reality they talk of its real-life unaffordability.Their cognitive is so dissonant they can't see their hypocrisy.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 08:58:45 AM »
srazdem (21 posts)
2. I know what you mean.

Take home net pay is 2400 monthly. Mortgage and utilities come to 1800 a month. I tried to sign up for Obama-care and it was going to be 1000 a month for me. I started a new job in July and was told I would be eligible for insurance in November. I work at home, and have sent them 3 emails to sign up for the insurance and hear crickets, so have no insurance. There is no way I can afford 1000 a month. Thank God can sign up for Medicare in September. PS: No tax break for me either. With the new tax plan I will pay about 25 more a year, which I could care less about if it was going for something worthwhile, and not the 1%.

I would be willing to bet that this one pays no federal income tax.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 11:03:50 AM »
I would be willing to bet that this one pays no federal income tax.

Take home pay $1800 a month means annual income of about $25K.  It looks like a family with 2 ids a 25K pays around $70 (essentaly zero)
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 12:08:42 PM »
health insurance still doesn't equal health CARE, a little slight of hand the DUmmies still haven't caught on to.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 03:30:36 PM »
health insurance still doesn't equal health CARE, a little slight of hand the DUmmies still haven't caught on to.

Egg Zactly! obama care is the greatest, until you need to pay for it or you need to use it. :thatsright:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!