Author Topic: Florida Principal, Athletic Director Could Go to Jail for Prayer Before Lunch at  (Read 2777 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Florida Principal, Athletic Director Could Go to Jail for Prayer Before Lunch at School

principal and an athletic director in Florida could be charged with crimes and spend six months in jail after they prayed before a meal at a school event, the Washington Times reported.

Pace High School Principal Frank Lay and athletic director Robert Freeman will go on trial in federal district court Sept. 17. They're accused of violating the conditions of a lawsuit settlement reached last year with the American Civil Liberties Union, according to the Times.

Local pastors and some students and teachers are outraged that Lay and Freeman face criminal charges, and they have protested during graduation ceremonies, the newspaper said.

"I have been defending religious freedom issues for 22 years, and I've never had to defend somebody who has been charged criminally for praying," said Mathew Staver, founder and chairman of Liberty Counsel, the Christian-based legal group that is defending the two school officials.

But an ACLU official said the Santa Rosa County School District has been guilty of "flagrant" First Amendment violations for years, the Times reported.

"The defendants all admitted wrongdoing," said Daniel Mach, ACLU's director of litigation for its freedom of religion program. "For example, the Pace High School teachers handbook asks teachers to 'embrace every opportunity to inculcate, by precept and example, the practice of every Christian virtue.'"

MORE

The ACLU again demands freedom from religion.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

AFAIK, the US Constitution only prohibits the federal government from establishing a "state religion". There is no prohibition of states or local government agencies promoting a given religion.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
AFAIK, the US Constitution only prohibits the federal government from establishing a "state religion". There is no prohibition of states or local government agencies promoting a given religion.
Liberals think that a school board = congress.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline MrsSmith

guilty of "flagrant" First Amendment violations for years

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

Not one word about praying...it's possible they violated a court order, or an agreement with the ACLU, but they didn't violate the First Amendment.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Great more Anti-American Commu-Nazis Lovers Union stupidity. America needs a military strong man like in Chile and South Korea.  :bird:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Sam Adams

Yeah, the states had constitutions promoting a religion, even after the US Constitution was ratified. Of course, things have changed, but I think you are right.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Yeah, the states had constitutions promoting a religion, even after the US Constitution was ratified. Of course, things have changed, but I think you are right.

As a kid I was taught that when visiting a church of different faith from my own to sit in the back watch and if I cared to join in to do so.

If not then to sit quietly respectfully and when service is over to shake the hand of the Celebrant and thank them.

So whats so hard about that, if a meeting were to be held in a church that handles snakes, I may leave early or not depends on just how wild it gets.

At a business meeting, I have no problem with saying thank you for the food we are about to eat in any religion.

At work when I see someone bow their head and mumble a thanks to what ever God they are thanking, I cannot help but smile and feel that these people are trustworthy, grateful and good folks.