Author Topic: I have a problem  (Read 6418 times)

Offline jinxmchue

I have a problem
« on: October 22, 2008, 12:24:07 PM »
As some of you may or may not know, not too long ago, Christian singer Ray Boltz "came out" as a gay man (abandoning his family, shacking up with his gay lover and joining a liberal, homosexual sin-ignoring church).  Before this, I really enjoyed his music, but now I can't bring myself to listen to any of it.  "Watch the Lamb" used to be one of my favorite songs, especially around Easter, but I can't enjoy it anymore.  Is this wrong?  Can I reconcile these things?  Can I still enjoy his past music despite his present condition?

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: I have a problem
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 12:57:58 PM »
All sins are equal in the eyes of God.

Listening to that song now is a distraction from it's original purpose.  For you it is no longer a part of praise or worship.  IMO, time to ditch the song, not because the singer "came out".

My favorite hymn is How Great Thou Art.  It was also my mother's favorite. When I hear it, I get a lump in my throat, not because of the meaning of the words in the song, but because she passed away 13 1/2 years ago.  For me, that song changed and listening to it now is painful even though it's still my favorite.

Make sense?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 01:07:55 PM »
While I agree with lug that if it is distracting for you then ditch it, I'd also point out that it was recorded when he was still putting up a brave fight against this temptation for himself. Something obviously happened to weaken his resolve in the last few years, but it doesn't change the beautiful things he created during the years he entrusted those things difficult for him into God's hands, nor does it negate them. God was using him as a tool to bring others to Him and you know what, maybe He still will in the years to come. Lot's of people stumble along the journey. Again, if it is distracting you from worship, the let it go.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 01:26:08 PM »
Thanks, guys.  Your counsel has helped tremendously.  I did some praying and thinking and felt God moving me to give up the songs.  They're not what's important and I should put my trust and faith in Christ alone.  The messages behind the songs are important, but they come from God and His Word, not Ray Boltz.  The messages existed long before Ray Boltz, they exist now despite Ray Boltz and they will continue to exist long after Ray Boltz is gone from this world.

And it's kind of weird that at nearly the same time I learned about Boltz embracing homosexuality, our sponsorship of a child in India that began at one of his concerts came to an end.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 04:44:45 AM »
What is up with the lame ass cartoons you and stelz (whatever his name is) are posting?   Surely there is better material out there for you to troll threads with?

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 05:03:54 AM »
What is up with the lame ass cartoons you and stelz (whatever his name is) are posting?   Surely there is better material out there for you to troll threads with?

The infection has been removed.

Let me know if I missed anything.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 05:29:16 AM »
Ya know, I used to like John Mellenhead's music until I heard one of his song's and it says "GD baby".  That is just one word I won't tolerate hearing and I won't listen to any of his music now.  He just ruined his career with me.  I know it matters to him :hyper: but maybe there are other's. :lmao:

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 02:59:25 PM »
I was asked a young man: does God write all songs and dole them out to individual people or did he simply invent music and leave the rest to us?

This young man was something of the fatalist sort (which is why I asked) and replied that since God had created all things he must have also created all songs.

"Even the stuff by Eminem?" I queried.

The issue isn't the song; it's you and I do not mean that in any harsh terms.

Does God author every separate episode of contemporary Christian worship or does he invent worship and leave the details the rest to you?

If it is a distraction, then don't be distracted. If it isn't--even if in some future time--then don't sweat where the song came from?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 03:00:47 PM »
jinx,

God puts treasure in earthen vessels. It's the treasure that's important, not the person.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 04:07:28 PM »
Wow.  How did a 3 year old thread get resurrected?

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 04:11:21 PM »

KC
The limp-dick trolls that were here this week (HellaJeff and his buddies) started spamming the forum around 4-5am today.  This thread was one of them. 

LC EFA was around and cleaned up the mess for us.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 04:21:38 PM »
The limp-dick trolls that were here this week (HellaJeff and his buddies) started spamming the forum around 4-5am today.  This thread was one of them. 

LC EFA was around and cleaned up the mess for us.

Ahhh makes sense now.  I was suprised when I saw Jinx name.  Been awhile.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 04:30:30 PM »

KC

:lmao:  I didn't even notice that!

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline unbiased

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 10:26:23 AM »
I am a christian and do not agree with homosexuality, but to say you can't listen to a song because the singer is gay makes no sense to me. God says homosexuality is a sin, but so is pre-marital sex. Is someone going to tell me that they won't listen to a song by someone who had pre-marital sex? Seems a little silly.

As far as the question of "Does God write the songs?" The answer is simple. No. Barry Manillow does!!  O-)
Once you have wrestled, everything else in life is easy.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 12:19:37 PM »
As far as the question of "Does God write the songs?" The answer is simple. No. Barry Manillow does!!  O-)

Barry Manilow is god!
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 02:33:14 PM »
Barry Manilow is god!

Nope.

God is love

Love is Blind

Ray Charles is Blind

Ergo...
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies