Author Topic: Water softeners  (Read 4685 times)

Offline Traveshamockery

• Nana to Kyle and Garrett
Re: Water softeners
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2011, 09:57:03 AM »
My husband bought one of the very early Easy Water things.  He swore it worked when I know it didn't.  He would spend several hours each winter scraping off built-up lime from our water-cooled AC unit and it was constantly breaking down because the lime buildup was so bad. 

About six months ago I talked him into buying a water softener and we went cheap at Sam's and that thing has done miracles.  Everything is cleaner, there is no residue left in the shower or in the sinks, and my hair feels better (that's the most important thing, right????). 

And most of all, our AC unit did not break down once this summer.  He hasn't gone out to clean it yet but I will bet you he won't need to spend nearly as much time cleaning it. 

The water in central Texas is bad, bad, bad. 

Offline CG6468

Re: Water softeners
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2011, 11:43:34 AM »
The water in central Texas is bad, bad, bad.

When I worked at Rheem, the tests they did on our well water showed the "...hardest water they ever saw." It's got so much dissolved iron that it's almost like liquid iron.

I also have to remove the anode rod from the water heater because the dissolved compounds of sulfur in our well water will make all of the water - even after softening - smell like "rotten eggs". Hot water is particularly vulnerable to this. Pulling the anode rod from the water heater solves at least 90% of the odor problem in the hot water system.

The anode rod sacrifices itself to prevent rusting out of the water tank. But our water heater - a top of the line Rheem (I'm brand loyal!) is still working fine 6 years after its warranty expired.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town