Author Topic: OK, I have a question for you guys in reference to walls  (Read 10911 times)

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
OK, I have a question for you guys in reference to walls
« on: February 15, 2011, 10:39:39 AM »
The people who owned the house before us re-did the bedroom, they wallpapered all the walls, we lived with it for a few years then wanted to change it. Hubby tried to remove the wallpaper but it seemed like the walls might come down with it, also hubby said it's a pain in the butt to remove the wallpaper, so we basically painted over it and we added wainscoting to the bottom half of the wall . Now there are seams of wallpaper that are coming off in a few places. Hubby doesn't want to remove the wallpaper at all for the reasons stated above, he thought he heard there was a product out that is like paneling but it's covered it all different types of wallpaper? has anyone ever heard of this at all? we thought we'd put something like this over the walls.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Janice

• This election is about paychecks v. food stamps
Re: OK, I have a question for you guys in reference to walls
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 11:14:03 AM »
We have had to do a lot of work on our house over the years. I know there is "paneling" with pictures that make it resemble a wood product.

As far as painting over wallpaper you should (or should have if you didnt) use something like TSP (tri-sodium phosphate) on the wallpaper before you paint. It sets up a stipple so that it (the pant) resists peeling off. Tsp (available in paint stores and most hardware stores as well as Lowes and Home Depot) is good for taking off wallpaper too. You buy and use a little hand held thing called a cricket to make gazillions of small perforations, then spray or wipe on the tsp to eat the glue off behind the wallpaper. Both the tsp and the cricket are very cheap.

Back to the paneling ... there may be some pressboard with wallpaper designs on it if I remember correctly.

Another possibility is using cheesecloth and/or sponges and making your own "wallpaper" design.
Reagan bankrupted the Soviet Empire ...

Obama is bankrupting the American Republic

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
Just do what I did......turn all the walls and ceiling into mirrors.   :naughty:

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 12:16:45 PM »
There is a steamer (rental?) you can use that will remove the wallpaper. After that you would have to re texture the walls.

I hate paneling and wallpaper.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 12:19:23 PM »
There is a steamer (rental?) you can use that will remove the wallpaper. After that you would have to re texture the walls.

I hate paneling and wallpaper.

Agreed. There will NEVER be another time when I have to deal with wallpaper. (And I learned to never say never years ago......)
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 12:33:55 PM »
I have wallpaper in one room, the bathroom, on one wall.  I am going to replace the drywall instead of removing the wallpaper.  Heck, the wall is 40+ years old, time for a replacement!

It will be cheaper and easier and calmer to replace the wall rather than deal with the wallpaper.  Plus, I am getting rid of the soffit on that wall, and it will tear the wall up immensely.  I am sure of it.  :whatever:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Doc

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic transit gloria mundi
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 01:52:47 PM »
I have wallpaper in one room, the bathroom, on one wall.  I am going to replace the drywall instead of removing the wallpaper.  Heck, the wall is 40+ years old, time for a replacement!

It will be cheaper and easier and calmer to replace the wall rather than deal with the wallpaper.  Plus, I am getting rid of the soffit on that wall, and it will tear the wall up immensely.  I am sure of it.  :whatever:

Wallpaper WILL come off, even if it has been painted over......it may take some time (and a little mess), but it will come off.

The most stubborn wallpaper removal job I've encountered was in a 50 y/o house that we remodelled.  I ended up mixing fabric softener with water, and sponging it on the walls every few hours for a couple of days. Eventually the water mixture will penetrate the surface and release the paste holding it to the wall, and when that happens it basically just falls off. Stubborn spots come off with another soaking, and scraping with a three-inch putty knife.  You can also mix up the hot water and fabric softener in an old spray bottle (like Windex), and spray it on rather than sponging.

You can accelerate the process by renting a "steamer", which is a device that mixes similar chemicals and applies it as steam to penetrate quickly.

Either of these methods are a hell of a lot less expensive than hanging new drywall over it........

doc
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 02:00:17 PM by TVDOC »

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 02:01:19 PM »
Wallpaper WILL come off, even if it has been painted over......it may take some time (and a little mess), but it will come off.

The most stubborn wallpaper removal job I've encountered was in a 50 y/o house that we remodelled.  I ended up mixing fabric softener with water, and sponging it on the walls every few hours for a couple of days.  Eventually the water mixture will penetrate the surface and release the paste holding it to the wall, and when that happens it basically just falls off.  Stubborn spots come off with another soaking, and scraping with a three-inch putty knife.

You can accelerate the process by renting a "steamer", which is a device that mixes similar chemicals and applies it as steam to penetrate quickly.

Either of these methods are a hell of a lot less expensive than hanging new drywall over it........

doc

Truthfully, I will have to replace the drywall.  I just got lucky that it was the same wall that had the wallpaper.  There are some electrical issues that need to be resolved, and some insulation issues.  Fortunately, I only have to buy the supplies. 

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 02:10:48 PM »
The people who owned the house before us re-did the bedroom, they wallpapered all the walls, we lived with it for a few years then wanted to change it. Hubby tried to remove the wallpaper but it seemed like the walls might come down with it, also hubby said it's a pain in the butt to remove the wallpaper, so we basically painted over it and we added wainscoting to the bottom half of the wall . Now there are seams of wallpaper that are coming off in a few places. Hubby doesn't want to remove the wallpaper at all for the reasons stated above, he thought he heard there was a product out that is like paneling but it's covered it all different types of wallpaper? has anyone ever heard of this at all? we thought we'd put something like this over the walls.

Check out DIY or HGTV's websites. I remember seeing a show on one of them, last fall, that was about a house that was being - I think they only did one room. Anyhow...the thing I remember was that there decades of layers of wallpaper. Instead of removing it, they applied some sort of sealer - might be what Janice is talking about - that sealed the wallpaper, so that the wall could be painted, and the seams would not curl.

Since both Lowe's and HomeDepot are their big advertisers, I would think they would have the stuff.

I remember thinking I wish it would have been around when I ruined several walls in my old house because the walls had not been primed before they were wallpapered.  :censored:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Janice

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 03:44:11 PM »
Thanks for all the info everyone!

Hubby is adamant about not removing the wallpaper, he said it's a pain in the butt job to do, and he's concerned about the walls, and he would have to do it alone because I'm allergic to I guess the wallpaper glue and broke out in head to toe hives the 2 times I touched it so no way could I help him with it. I'll show him all the links and hopefully we can find something that we can use. I'm really excited he wants to do the room over because that means I have an excuse to go out and buy a new quilt and a comforter set and new pillows LOL.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 04:47:45 PM »
To hell with removing wallpaper! Its easier to put up new sheetrock.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 04:51:04 PM »

:cheersmate:

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 07:19:03 PM »

That wouldn't be such a bad idea, then we can paint it the way we want, although I did see some nice things at the links people provided.

Offline Janice

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 07:51:45 PM »
The only bad thing about the drywall is the demo/cleanup and that you'd have to tape and finish it when its done. (Assuming you want a smooth finish)

But it is kind of a neat learning experience and it it relatively cheap.

:popcorn:

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 09:13:37 PM »
The only problem with the drywall is that we have wainscoting on the bottom half.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 03:31:35 PM »
Not really. You can buy 3/8 or 1/4 inch drywall made for skinning over a not so nice wall. Your wainscoating should have a chair rail around the top that will take up the difference between the top and bottom.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 06:50:20 PM »
Not really. You can buy 3/8 or 1/4 inch drywall made for skinning over a not so nice wall. Your wainscoating should have a chair rail around the top that will take up the difference between the top and bottom.

Yes we have the chair rail. I'll mention that to hubby.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 07:14:34 PM »

My drywall was hung sideways, so I have seams where I shouldn't.  Which is why I am rehanging most of it.  That, and the wallpaper, and the poor patch jobs over molly bolts and the occasional fist-hole.   :whatever:

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 12:27:14 PM »
occasional fist-hole

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 01:34:48 PM »

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........

Previous homeowner had anger issues?????  I dunno.