Author Topic: Rides  (Read 5699 times)

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
Rides
« on: December 01, 2009, 11:10:04 PM »
I figured I would post here first. The people on this forum actually do stuff. I can't tell you how refreshing that is. Here are my bona fides.

1962 Chevy C-20 with a 2006 Triumph Bonneville in the bed.

Oh yeah, the Chevy has a 700R4 but still has the 4-11 setup in the back and the Bonnie is an 865 with vacuum carbs. When I finish the truck I'll get some nice sliders (cable controlled carburetors to eliminate throttle lag) instead.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 11:12:21 PM by Aaron Burr »

Offline bkg

Re: Rides
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 12:22:22 PM »
My 89 4Runner. Only thing that is stock is the transmission, rear axle housing/shafts, steeringbox and body panels... and most of the interior.

Rear disks and hydraulic assist waiting to go in. Looking for a 3.4 or 4.7 i-Force to replace the 2nd 3.0.

Mostly sits in my garage - this is from two years ago. :(

Pic of my IS300. Right after buddy's wife backed into it... in my driveway.  :hammer:

No pics of the Tundra. It mostly just sits in the driveway. And no pics of my JD CUT.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 12:24:03 PM by bkg »

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 04:36:23 PM »
That's a clean looking truck. But I'm not sure what you mean about the hydraulic assist. I figured I'd get them because I've got drums all the way around. I didn't know the assist was necessary on disks. Interesting. Also, not that my two cents is worth anything, but if you can swing the 4.7(!!!) I would recommend that. Mostly because you apparently have a grudge against 3.0's. Or vice versa.

My truck needs some love. The main pulley is out of whack and keeps wobbling the power steering pump and dumping power steering fluid all over the place. Turns out the guy before me put washers behind the pulley because it wouldn't seat right onto the harmonic balancer. It needs to go on the lathe. Wish I had one.

Needs a bigger fan for the radiator, maybe a 165 thermostat to replace the 185. Number 7 plug is pretty fouled and the 283 seems underpowered so it's most likely a ring....maybe a valve guide but I doubt it.

Previously mentioned 4-11 needs to go, I hope I can find an 8 lug....3-25? Something more sporty anyway.
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUnugonLSJg&feature=related[/youtube]

What it boils down to is that my truck is headed in this direction, just not so low.
[youtube=425,350][/youtube]
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 04:39:14 PM by Aaron Burr »

Offline bkg

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 05:07:39 PM »
That's a clean looking truck. But I'm not sure what you mean about the hydraulic assist. I figured I'd get them because I've got drums all the way around. I didn't know the assist was necessary on disks. Interesting. Also, not that my two cents is worth anything, but if you can swing the 4.7(!!!) I would recommend that. Mostly because you apparently have a grudge against 3.0's. Or vice versa.

3.0 wasn't Toyota's best attempt. Many problems, very underpowered and a gas-hog. I'd like to do the 4.7 as well, but it's definitely more $$ than the 3.4. Found a very nice T100 for $1800. Probably part it and make ~3K. Just need to go get it. 4.7's are a bit more spendy. And using the '05+ VVT-i is a lot more work than the previous non-VVT-i engine... and the earlier V8 can support the SuperCharger.  :cheersmate:

8-lug 3.25? That might be tough. I think 3.73 or 3.54 might be doable. Should be able to swap the 4.10's as well, but you'll need a different carrier.

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 05:50:09 PM »
Super Charger? I thought you had a nice rock crawling, low speed, super torque beast for well, rock crawling. And/or hunting.

I just want to go fast on pavement.

But I know what you mean about stuff being spendy...and not exactly necessary. Most people thought I was nuts for cramming the 700R4 in instead of a 350/400 turbo tranny. I figured the extra dough wouldn't matter in the long run and I'd have a better, more dependable ride.

Also, I'm mildly surprised that you aren't building a FJ-40 given your apparent familiarity with Toyota's. Mrs. Burr has a 91 MR-2 (non turbo) but that's the limit of my knowledge of Japanese cars. Lamentably, I know too much about Jap bikes.

Anyway, 3-73 is doable. I met a cranky old bastard today that has everything necessary. Except he's a cranky old bastard and I think he's pissed off at me for having a baby seat on the bench seat. And he thinks he won't be able to make a lot of dough off me. (He's right.)

Oh yeah, if you can actually part out a truck and make money at it...I may have to have my broker call you. That's a skill set right there.

Offline bkg

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 05:59:38 PM »
Never been an FJ40 fan. Always been a mini-truck guy.

I'm in a Toyota club w/ lots of FJ40's... two types of FJ owners; purists and modifiers... but they're a unique croud. Have a chance to buy a very nice 73 with extended wheel base and SOA with 35's... but can't justify buying something that will sit in the driveway and not be used.

parting and making money is easy if you find the right deal. Found someone who wants to buy the box and doors on this T100 already, so that's $1k-$1200 off teh bat. I just want the engine and tranny. :)

Unfortunatley, I don't have the room... and this neighborhood will grab the pitchforks if I leave a carcass sitting outside.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 08:44:08 AM »
Here, here, and (possibly) here.  Still mulling over the idea of an MGB.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 03:01:06 PM »
I feel old. A 280Z is now an antique. My brother used to race a 240 and then a 260. I don't know why. But he's got an actual degree in automotive engineering six cars and no kids so that may explain it.

Just get the MG and worry about all the other B.S. later. They're not going' to be any cheaper tomorrow. Besides, it will complement the Honda quite nicely.

BK, if your making dough off the T100, just spend a hundred bucks on a storage unit....or spend 20 bucks to park it in some meth heads front yard.

I'm eyeballing a 49 Dodge pickup for 1200 so I may be the last guy you want to listen to regarding sensible automotive practices.

Damnation! I just found a 39' Chevy 3/4 ton long bed....this may be a long winter.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 03:18:15 PM »
2006 Nissan Patrol - Stock Standard.

Gets me where I need to go without modification - and carries enough booze, fuel, munitions and gear to keep me entertained when I get there.

I've added a gear cage to the back since that photo was taken.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 05:25:46 PM »
2006 Nissan Patrol - Stock Standard.

Gets me where I need to go without modification - and carries enough booze, fuel, munitions and gear to keep me entertained when I get there.

Awww come on, LC, who are you trying to BS. "Munitions"?!?!?!? I guess if one considers bolt action rifles all that.......  :fuelfire:

Bolt actions have their intended purpose, but .......
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 11:01:59 PM »
Awww come on, LC, who are you trying to BS. "Munitions"?!?!?!? I guess if one considers bolt action rifles all that.......  :fuelfire:

Bolt actions have their intended purpose, but .......

*shrug*

There's hundreds of Mother Natures precious creatures that would disagree with your assessment.

If their brains weren't splattered all over the ground.  :-)

If they let me get my hands on an autoloader then there would probably end up being a target shortage and then I'd have to *pay* to get a "permit" or a "tag" or "hunting license" to go out and exterminate cute and cuddly animals by the herd.

What do tags for game cost over there these days again ?  :-)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 11:16:44 PM »

What do tags for game cost over there these days again ?  :-)

It all depends on what state and whether or not one is a resident of said state. Another thing that matters is WHAT game one may be hunting.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 04:13:43 PM »
Hey ! It's that Aussie guy! You built that cool concrete and wood fence in another thread. You're one of the reasons I decided to register here. I like people who do stuff. I can't stand reading about what some ass master said about some other ass master on the T.V.

Anyway, I see you're also a truck guy. Good on ya. Although I didn't know snorkels came standard on Datsun's. Kinda' makes the boat seem superfluous...

Shootin' Antelope out here is done by lottery. Basically because they're stupid. If it was legal for anyone to shoot them, Arizona would run out of them over the course of a weekend. As you can see, you're welcome to kill pretty much whatever you want. http://www.azgfd.gov/eservices/licenses.shtml

Oh yeah, speaking about trucks. I replaced the antenna today. It involved taking off a piece of body work and about 8 million bolts. If you look up top you can see the lil' section that has the antenna mast and Chevy logo on it. Luckily, all I needed was a Leatherman and a crescent wrench. Which worked out great because that's all I have right now. All my tools are still in storage until we close on this fuggin' new house.

Replacing the oil line from the gauge to the block should be more interesting.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 03:34:43 AM »
Hey ! It's that Aussie guy! You built that cool concrete and wood fence in another thread. You're one of the reasons I decided to register here. I like people who do stuff. I can't stand reading about what some ass master said about some other ass master on the T.V.

I loathe those home improvement shows on the TV.

Anyway, I see you're also a truck guy. Good on ya. Although I didn't know snorkels came standard on Datsun's. Kinda' makes the boat seem superfluous...

Well full disclosure - the snorkel was fitted at the dealer before the vehicle went on the road along with the bullbar at the front. They're not technically part of the base package but I got one with "all the fruit".

Shootin' Antelope out here is done by lottery. Basically because they're stupid. If it was legal for anyone to shoot them, Arizona would run out of them over the course of a weekend. As you can see, you're welcome to kill pretty much whatever you want. http://www.azgfd.gov/eservices/licenses.shtml

Antelope , we don't have any of , but there's lots of feral game about. Some places have even started a bounty on cats, dogs and pigs.  It's not much but will pay for ammo and a few brews.

Donkeys , camels , horses and buffalo are apparently very common but that's a couple days drive from where I live so I've never gone over to have a look.

Because I shoot exclusively on private property - there's no permit system and you're encouraged by the landowner to get as many feral critters as you can. Native animals are generally protected but arrangements can be made to harvest the kangeroo in some situations.

Oh yeah, speaking about trucks. I replaced the antenna today. It involved taking off a piece of body work and about 8 million bolts. If you look up top you can see the lil' section that has the antenna mast and Chevy logo on it. Luckily, all I needed was a Leatherman and a crescent wrench. Which worked out great because that's all I have right now. All my tools are still in storage until we close on this fuggin' new house.

Replacing the oil line from the gauge to the block should be more interesting.

The two tasks I hate the most when it comes to working on vehicles is electrical wiring and plumbing. More major mechanical stuff like suspension and drive-line repairs are fun in comparison.

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 03:13:43 PM »
Hmmm. I figured you lived in Queensland. I spent a summer back in 88' getting my ass kicked down in Victoria and N.S.W. I only got up to Brizzy once. Also, it was winter in Oz so being able to go skiing in Cooma made up for a lot. But it's a great country full of tasty animals. I thought the big fence was supposed to keep all the dogs out in the Great Sandy though. I'm surprised to hear you have them. But if whacking them secures only enough funds to keep you supplied with Black Swan and Remington shells, it sounds like a perfectly balanced ecological system.

But yeah, the guy before me didn't do much right with the wiring. The antenna is just temporary until I get satellite radio.  If you like big projects though, you'll love the timing chain and sprocket replacement job I have coming up. I'll take pictures of that one. After that it's a ring job and then I can start work on swapping out the back end, replacing the bed, installing new shocks and brakes and pretty much finishing the rubber and trim. Hopefully I'll have my tools by then because as much as I love a challenge, I just don't see myself using the pliers tool on my leatherman to yank out the harmonic balancer.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 06:29:58 PM »
If you like big projects though, you'll love the timing chain and sprocket replacement job I have coming up. I'll take pictures of that one.

I will need to replace the timing chain and gears on my Datsun when I swap the cylinder head some time next year (I can keep putting oil in it until then).  It will be a first for me.
But I know what you mean about stuff being spendy...and not exactly necessary. Most people thought I was nuts for cramming the 700R4 in instead of a 350/400 turbo tranny. I figured the extra dough wouldn't matter in the long run and I'd have a better, more dependable ride.

You'd probably make your money back in fuel economy with the 700R4.  I think I'd shoot myself if I was doomed to driving a 3-speed slushbox.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 06:32:20 PM by Chris »
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 08:26:50 PM »
I may make up some money now that I had the carb rebuilt and had a intake valve gasket replaced. Turns out the timing is spot on and the valves were o.k. Fuggin' burnt out carb running too rich. Sheesh. I figured the carb had been looked at when the guy before me switched over to H.E.I. Just goes to show ya'....never trust anybody.

So now I'm going for the frame off restoration. I figure I'll just keep going once I replace the pully and power steering box....and replace the fan on the radiator with a shroud and stock fan...thermostat...Damn. I've started already.

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
Chris' Mis' Miracle.
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 12:22:36 AM »
Chalk this one up for Best Christmas Ever. A definite contender. And I'm not even talking about the serious firepower I received this year from the ol' man.

No, what I'm talking about is my truck. See, I decided to take the truck out to Cali to visit the family for Christmas. On the way down the throttle return cable snapped. I didn't know it had snapped of course, because I was toolin' down the road doin' 75. I thought a rock had hit the truck. Nope.

I just ended up lifting my foot under the pedal to ease off and took my foot away to rev up. Who knew cruise control could be that easy? Once with the family, it was easy enough to stretch out the spring and hook it around the carb. Works better than the cable.

But that wasn't all. Look up at the engine shot. On the left side of the picture, up top, you can see two fat hoses running into the fire wall. Those are radiator hoses going to the heater in the cab. One of my brothers and I tightened the clamps on the hoses because the feeder hose on top was dripping for some reason.

Skip to today when I'm driving back. I'm less than 1o miles away from my family when vapor starts pouring out of the interior vents and the engine temps starts heading into the 220 area. Wow!

By the time I get to the nearest parking lot coolant is pouring out the heater onto the floor, and out the cab. @%$#&!!! Pop the hood and check the hoses. Look under the heater in the cab. Ah. There's a little radiator in the heater unit that supply's heat to the cab. It failed. Looks like I'm S.O.L. So I call up Colonel Granpa' and he's coming over to pick up Mrs. and Aaron Jr. Burr while I figure out where the nearest service station is.

Suddenly, I'm standing in the shade. This GIANT with a hessian mustache and greasy ball cap is checking out the mini waterfall coming out of my cab. He says about 10 words to me and he's gone. I call my brother and leave a message. He's over in Orange County and has the tools I forgot to bring with me, even though I had no idea how to connect the different size hoses and bypass the heater with out the necessary part. Right before Colonel Granpa's black sedan pulls up, the Giant reappears with a hose adapter. And coolant. Wow.

Two minutes later the hoses are connected and routed up by the battery and away from the header pipes.

"How much do I owe you?"

"Nothin', just next time you see someone in trouble, pass it along."

"That's funny, that's what I always say."

I introduce the Gentle Giant to Colonel Granpa'. And he offers his thanks. The Gentle Giant points at the Jesus/fish logo on his truck.

"Don't thank me, thank Him."

Colonel Granpa' invited the Gentle Giant to Church. I have a new friend for life.

Oh, and the truck, since christened Tommy, never went over 200 degrees for the rest of the 100 mph trip.

It was a fuggin' Chris' Mis' Miracle I tells' ya.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2009, 07:48:17 AM »
Very cool story. :II:

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2009, 05:20:19 PM »
It's also a very true story. I have a bunch of his business cards. I'd post his info but don't know the etiquette regarding something like that. I just figured he might get some business thrown his way.

How's the M.G.B. search going? Turns out my brother has one he might be willing to sell. He's in Reno and I don't know where you are so I don't know if that helps or not.

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2010, 04:30:50 PM »
Anyway.

I'm building Aaron Jr. a little soap box racer. Once escrow closes on the new place, I'm hoping to finish it. I was planning on covering the forward body with sheet metal. Straight tin snips is all I could think of to cut the metal. (I guess I'll use some high number sheet metal like they use for air conditions and whatnot.)

Question. How do I make a 90 degree turn while cutting? I want the metal to fit snugly over the front axle. Ideas?

Ah. The shape I want is a rectangle so the front axle can move. I tried it once and ended up bending the metal.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 04:48:46 PM by Aaron Burr »

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 08:30:40 PM »
Really? Nobody? I guess I'll drill holes at the corners so it will be easier to make the turn. Maybe the metal wont bend so much. I just hate that ripple that shows up when you bend it back.

Meh.

I'll post a pic when it's done.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 05:03:22 AM »
Really? Nobody? I guess I'll drill holes at the corners so it will be easier to make the turn. Maybe the metal wont bend so much. I just hate that ripple that shows up when you bend it back.

Meh.

I'll post a pic when it's done.

The only way I know to make straight cuts in sheet metal is with a sheer cutter, but that wouldn't work for cutting notches.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 10:46:04 AM »
When are you putting rimzzzzz on it?

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 03:45:57 PM »
Those wheels have bearings in them for maximum speedability. I don't think they make spinners that small. But the steering is supplied by a cable from one side of the axle, through the steering column and over to the other side. So I'll need holes for the cable to pass through as well. But I know I've seen someone make a 90 degree cut, I just can't remember what funky tool they used.

But it gets worse. Look at this crazy pattern that I came up with to wrap the front end.

It's like trying to wrap an orange with a piece of construction paper.