Author Topic: Do we have anyone here who is a plumber or has had plumbing problems?  (Read 9773 times)

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: Do we have anyone here who is a plumber or has had plumbing problems?
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2009, 04:16:57 PM »
.is the water table where you are, really low?

Doubtful. They get water from us (No. Cal)
Could be the sewer vent (they go up through the roof) broke loose or was never connected. They'll need to check that.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2009, 04:18:17 PM »
  I was a plumber for over 50 years.
 a couple of questions
 Was the shower not used for a period of time before you moved in
 Did you take the shower head off or check it .. Sniff test
 and that isnt sewer gas probably.

If it's an up stairs shower ANY drain prob would show up in the down stairs ceiling.

No I haven't taken off the shower head because I thought it was coming from the drain.  Why would the shower head make the water smell like sewer gas?  It definitely smells like sewer gas.

I don't know about the shower use question.  The previous owner was in a wheel chair because of ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) and was at a point that his wife couldn't get him upstairs to shower or sleep.  But she would be able to use the shower upstairs.  I can tell that the shower was used but I don't know if at some point she stopped using it and showered down stairs.  

The bathroom is right over the ceiling where I'm typing currently and nothing is wrong with the ceiling.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2009, 04:20:10 PM »
:bows head:  Forgive me for being practical, Your Majesty.  I suppose I learned nothing from that pea under your mattress incident. 

:p

You know me by now and should know that I am a prima donna.   :p

Offline Wayne

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2009, 04:25:00 PM »
  Ok , then again it is probably not a sewer gas prob. As said before take the shower head apart and make sure there isnt mold growing .
  The problem may be because other traps in the house may be dry.  Run water in every fixture in the house for 20 or 30 seconds ..

I have a notion that I hope is wrong but after doing the above run the shower for a while and see if it stinks again and let me know.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2009, 04:26:09 PM »
You had a home inspection, right?

The home inspector should have checked to make sure the plumbing vents were clear and working properly.

Take the shower head off and soak it in a pan of vinegar...could be plugged up.

If your shower is draining properly and just stinks....it probably isn't plugged up.

When we had problems with our septic tank (4th or 5th guy out here was the one that figured out the pump was dead  :banghead:)...when we showered in our bathroom, it backed up into the tub in our bath, the powder room toilet, the dishwasher and on of the kitchen sinks. Not in the laundry room which is also on the main floor or any of the 3 bathrooms upstairs.

We didn't have a smell though.

When we were in the worst of our drought the last couple of years....sometimes the water coming out of the faucets would smell really awful....is the water table where you are, really low?

Yes we had like a 5 hour inspection.  I thought it was never going to end.  We don't have a septic tank.  We have no other problems in any other areas (bathroom sinks, kitchen sink, tubs, showers, toilets, laundry room or dishwasher).  I did use CLR in a ziplock bag and put it over the shower head for about an hour to get off all the crap that was on the shower head.  

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2009, 04:27:12 PM »
 Ok , then again it is probably not a sewer gas prob. As said before take the shower head apart and make sure there isnt mold growing .
  The problem may be because other traps in the house may be dry.  Run water in every fixture in the house for 20 or 30 seconds ..

I have a notion that I hope is wrong but after doing the above run the shower for a while and see if it stinks again and let me know.

Oh God, what is the notion that you hope is wrong?

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2009, 04:43:44 PM »
Yes we had like a 5 hour inspection.  I thought it was never going to end.  We don't have a septic tank.  We have no other problems in any other areas (bathroom sinks, kitchen sink, tubs, showers, toilets, laundry room or dishwasher).  I did use CLR in a ziplock bag and put it over the shower head for about an hour to get off all the crap that was on the shower head.  

Did that make a difference?

Do you have a water filter system? Could be since that bath was an add-on, it wasn't added into it.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2009, 04:46:36 PM »
Did that make a difference?

Do you have a water filter system? Could be since that bath was an add-on, it wasn't added into it.

No, it got the gunk off the shower head though.  I am going to take it off and soak it and see if that helps though.

Yes we have a water softener and filer system but the filter system I believe is only for the kitchen sink. 

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2009, 05:47:05 PM »
No, it got the gunk off the shower head though.  I am going to take it off and soak it and see if that helps though.

Yes we have a water softener and filer system but the filter system I believe is only for the kitchen sink. 

You could shower with one of those tree-shaped pine scented cardboard thingys hanging around your neck.   :drool:

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2009, 06:22:44 PM »
You could shower with one of those tree-shaped pine scented cardboard thingys hanging around your neck.   :drool:

Smexy!  :-*

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2009, 08:00:08 PM »
So I ran water in all of the sinks, tubs and showers. I waited an hour or so then turned the shower on. No smell. It could be just a fluke so I'll see what happens tomorrow.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2009, 08:01:38 AM »
So I ran water in all of the sinks, tubs and showers. I waited an hour or so then turned the shower on. No smell. It could be just a fluke so I'll see what happens tomorrow.

How's the shower this morning?
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2009, 08:23:58 AM »

How's the shower this morning?

I'm almost afraid to say that there was no smell this morning. Knock on wood.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2009, 08:28:47 AM »
I'm almost afraid to say that there was no smell this morning. Knock on wood.

knocked for you!!

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2009, 08:29:25 AM »
I will keep my fingers crossed for you.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Flame

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2009, 09:16:48 AM »
Hope it stays smell-free!

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2009, 12:41:01 PM »
I was going to suggest that your bathroom was probably designed for some handicapped person with such a wide doorway. You verified that. I suspect that the reason there's a small fridge in the bathroom was for storing some sort of medications. Many diabetics need their insulin stored in a fridge. There are also other meds that should be stored in there. They DO make double doors for that doorway. The house I had in Ramsey, MN had such a doorway into one of the rooms.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2009, 01:30:02 PM »
I was going to suggest that your bathroom was probably designed for some handicapped person with such a wide doorway. You verified that. I suspect that the reason there's a small fridge in the bathroom was for storing some sort of medications. Many diabetics need their insulin stored in a fridge. There are also other meds that should be stored in there. They DO make double doors for that doorway. The house I had in Ramsey, MN had such a doorway into one of the rooms.

Actually when they built the add on (which is upstairs and no way to get him upstairs) he wasn't diagnosed yet.  He was diagnosed in 2005, the addition was built in 2001.  But he could have had another medical problem like diabetes before being diagnosed with ALS or maybe she has a medical condition and needed the fridge for medication and that would make sense.  

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2009, 04:29:44 PM »
I did use CLR in a ziplock bag and put it over the shower head for about an hour to get off all the crap that was on the shower head.

Don't crap on your shower head.  :shame:

:tongue:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2009, 02:59:14 AM »
Who ever installed the tile should not quit their day job...unless they are a tile installer....then they should quit their day job.  The tile work is so crappy.

:lmao:

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2009, 10:06:10 AM »
So, it sounds like you had a dry trap?       :evillaugh:

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2009, 02:27:03 PM »
So, it sounds like you had a dry trap?       :evillaugh:

I'd say since we moved into the house that you would be correct.   :p

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2009, 04:13:26 PM »
Awwww........go to the beach and relax.......wait.....gotta be careful which one............... :-)