Author Topic: Internet Question  (Read 9489 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: Internet Question
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2008, 06:42:40 PM »

comcast rocks.  I UPLOAD at T1 speed.  I have actually hit 15mb/sec on downloads.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2008, 10:04:46 AM »
We had the same issue Mia. Our ISP was useless though because they said they could see a good signal and connectivity from their end. And, when we took the router (went through three!) out of the loop, we could connect with no problems. ISP sent a tech out here twice and of course it worked beautifully for him!!! Then it would die within days so we kept replacing the router.

I found out indvertently that the ISP was onsite tweaking something on our complex (I live in a condo, not a house) and after weeks of back and forth, we got permission to install a small hub directly into the access panel in our unit. Our initial issue was that every room in this condo is pre-wired for cable/internet but they will only activate one port at a time (ISP rules, our cable/internet service is part of our homeowner's dues -we're held hostage). I raised ten kinds of heck until they approved the hub. Now I can plug in as many machines as I want.

Bottom line: be prepared to fight your ISP. They told us that they "don't troubleshoot hardware and since we could make one port work, they wouldn't help us". Your situation is probably a lot different since you are in a house. Can you do without a router?

I'd greatly prefer to have the router.  If not, then the laptop will have to always be setup in the guest room, b/c that's where the internet cable is.  There's all kinds of issues with the wiring of this house.  *sigh*

Plus, once the bf is back for good, that's where his desktop computer & Xbox is set up and then I just use the wireless to connect my laptop to the internet.  Plus, there's no tv in there, so it would just suck overall.  LOL

I tried to plug directly into the modem Saturday night but and there's a connection, BUT it won't "acquire an address" so there's "limited to no connectivity."  I unplugged everything for like 5 minutes and then just plugged in the modem before I tried to connect to it.  Sigh.  Then yesterday I just didn't want to mess with it.  I'll see what I can get going tonight and if it's the same result then I'll call TWC tomorrow. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2008, 11:30:49 PM »
So did you get it fixed?

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2008, 01:48:36 PM »
So did you get it fixed?

Okay, I spent about 45 minutes on the phone with TWC last night.  Well, 30 minutes of that was on hold at least. 

Anywho, they said everything looks good on their end, blah blah blah but it still wasn't working.  Then suddenly 10 minutes after I get off the phone with them it starts working again.   :mental: 

This morning when I turned on my computer it wouldn't connect to any sites again for like 10 minutes.  I'm hooked straight into the modem and not using the wireless router.  I'm scare to try and hook in the router for fear that I won't have internet access again. 

I wonder if their modem isn't buggered up or something wrong with the cable line.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."