Author Topic: Power cord/charger for laptop  (Read 4406 times)

Offline Flame

Power cord/charger for laptop
« on: May 09, 2008, 08:22:02 AM »
has died.

Looked for a replacement at Circuit City, they want 89.00.  Is there anywhere you know of to get one cheaper?    Its an HP, if that matters.

Thanks.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
Re: Power cord/charger for laptop
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 08:25:38 AM »
eBay eBay Ooh Ahh

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 09:30:18 AM »
ebay or amazon
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 12:18:20 PM »
Yup...ebay....just bought one for a sony....$20 with shipping....Best Buy would of been $115 plus tax...

Offline SemiSpook

• Contractor Puke
  • Probationary (Probie)
  • Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There a
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 05:51:30 PM »
I'm guessing you've got a Presario (or equivalent) laptop from the past 2 or so years. Yeah, I'm on my third PS right now (second from eBay). I don't know why, but whoever designed this particular PS needs to be shot. There's too much strain on the connector at the computer port, which is what causes the whole thing to fail.

Funny thing is, my wife's iBook G4 has the same issue. If only we had waited for the MagSafe models to come out and not worry about the poor design for her PS, as well.
I would beg to differ with the notion that the current administration is *NOT* the most transparent in history. It certainly is...because you can see right through them.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 05:55:35 PM »
If your laptop is a bit old, check to see if there are any second hand computer stores or even Goodwill stores around.

Worth a few minutes to save 30 or 40 buck, I suppose.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 05:47:22 AM »
Try looking for a universal adapter; I know Targus make them, and you can get a "tip" to suit most common types of laptop computer
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 05:50:00 AM by LC EFA »

Offline SemiSpook

• Contractor Puke
  • Probationary (Probie)
  • Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There a
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 09:11:56 PM »
Problem is that the tip you need from Targus usually ISN'T part of the package.  That's a couple of bucks extra.

Decent quality, but I'm not waiting for however long the part you REALLY need is going to get there, especially if you have no power to charge the battery.
I would beg to differ with the notion that the current administration is *NOT* the most transparent in history. It certainly is...because you can see right through them.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 06:13:18 AM »
This puter I'm on is an HP laptop I got at the Wal Mart black Friday sale a couple years ago. The power plug is a cheap POS where it plugs into the side. I've kept it alive for over 2 1/2  years by wiring a big loop at the base of the wire and attaching it with a twist tie to the plug base at a 90 degree angle. It absorbs shock and keeps the strain off the plug base.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 06:15:42 AM »
Problem is that the tip you need from Targus usually ISN'T part of the package.  That's a couple of bucks extra.

I worked in an retail environment for some time, and Targus (or at least Targus Australia) would happily send out the correct tip free of charge in an overnight bag.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 11:45:11 AM »
Skip over the $12 power cords on eBay...the one I bought in April was helpful in the diagnosis of my non-starting computer, but the power is intermitant, creating a "AC is plugged in" window to pop up and down when plugged in...

So I ordered a new one from a different place....it's actually UL certified! I also picked up a CD/DVD drive for my spare Vaio notebook...saved almost $175 compared to newegg.com

I am done shopping on eBay for a while....at least a day or two....

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 11:46:26 AM »

I worked in an retail environment for some time, and Targus (or at least Targus Australia) would happily send out the correct tip free of charge in an overnight bag.

That is good to know...I lost the tips for the Targus that I bought for my Presario....damn power supply was $125 at Best Buy....

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 06:00:40 PM »
Quote from: RobJohnson
That is good to know...I lost the tips for the Targus that I bought for my Presario....damn power supply was $125 at Best Buy....

Unfortunately they wouldn't replace lost or damaged tips, They would only supply a tip (free) when their "universal" adapter supports a model of laptop but the required tip wasn't included in the packaging.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 03:52:47 AM »
Quote from: RobJohnson

Unfortunately they wouldn't replace lost or damaged tips, They would only supply a tip (free) when their "universal" adapter supports a model of laptop but the required tip wasn't included in the packaging.

hmmmmm.....