Author Topic: Reboot disk  (Read 5636 times)

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
Reboot disk
« on: January 25, 2008, 04:25:20 PM »
Is there any way to create a "reboot" disk off of one computer and use it to boot up another computer?
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
Re: Reboot disk
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 01:28:23 PM »
Is there any way to create a "reboot" disk off of one computer and use it to boot up another computer?

Yes there is....  :-)
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 01:30:11 PM »
If the hardware is close enough it should work.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 01:32:58 PM »

If you are using Windows XP:
From My Computer, right click on the Floppy Drive, select "Format".
Check the box for "Create MS-DOS Startup Disk".
Test.

Additionally, you will have to go into your BIOS (CMOS) setup and set the system to enable the floppy drive and seek it during boot. If you want to boot from the floppy you must also set the disk boot order making the floppy drive the first boot device (drive) in the order of boot devices.
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 01:36:27 PM »
People still have floppy drives on their computers?  I unplugged mine a year ago.

If all else fails, do a Google search for "boot disks".  You will find downloadable boot disk packages for free.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 02:47:34 PM »
Never mind all the research I have done has showed me I have to reinstall windows so you either need the recovery disk that was supposed to come with the machine or you have to shell out for a new version of windows.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 05:47:10 PM »
Most Windows XP, 98SE, NT and 2K Original Media is bootable.

You will probably have to set your optical CD drive as the first boot device first.

With XP and 2k , You can either use the recovery console provided there or you proceed part way into the install and it will attempt to detect previous windows installs. If it Detects one , you may be able to (R)epair it from that screen.

This is all possible with out a "Recovery Disk" that windows has created post install or as a part of the prior install.

This is assuming you don't have a HP/Compaq style computer where the stuff needed to reinstall the system is on a "recovery partition" on the HDD.

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 07:41:25 PM »
Most Windows XP, 98SE, NT and 2K Original Media is bootable.

You will probably have to set your optical CD drive as the first boot device first.

With XP and 2k , You can either use the recovery console provided there or you proceed part way into the install and it will attempt to detect previous windows installs. If it Detects one , you may be able to (R)epair it from that screen.

This is all possible with out a "Recovery Disk" that windows has created post install or as a part of the prior install.

This is assuming you don't have a HP/Compaq style computer where the stuff needed to reinstall the system is on a "recovery partition" on the HDD.

My old Compaq had a Repair function installed this machine doesnt even give an option to go into safe mode when you hit F-8.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 04:22:58 PM »
Newer HP / Compaq Machines you activate the recovery partition by pressing F10 a few times at the BIOS splash screen.

Whenever that fails you can also delete the old system partition, then set the recovery partition as active and boot from that. 

I may still have some Win98 boot disk images about somewhere, if your stuck lemme know and I'll hunt through my "stores" for em.