Author Topic: 2030, start of a solar minimum cycle...  (Read 12125 times)

Offline DumbAss Tanker

2030, start of a solar minimum cycle...
« on: July 19, 2015, 04:18:35 PM »
Any of you seen this?

Diminishing solar activity may bring new Ice Age by 2030
The arrival of intense cold similar to the one that raged during the “Little Ice Age”, which froze the world during the 17th century and in the beginning of the 18th century, is expected in the years 2030—2040. These conclusions were presented by Professor V. Zharkova (Northumbria University) during the National Astronomy Meeting in Llandudno in Wales by the international group of scientists, which also includes Dr Helen Popova of the Skobeltsyn Institute of Nuclear Physics and of the Faculty of Physics of the Lomonosov Moscow State University, Professor Simon Shepherd of Bradford University and Dr Sergei Zharkov of Hull University.
http://astronomynow.com/2015/07/17/diminishing-solar-activity-may-bring-new-ice-age-by-2030/

Legitimate solar scientists, using real data and pretty sophisticated modelling which actually has a track record for successful prediction, believe there will be a drastic ten-year drop in solar output between 2030 and 2040, the result of an unfortunate combinations of several long-term solar activity cycles coming together in a transitory but very not-good way.

While the solar minimum will last ten years, the drastic cold spell would last for about 30 or more under their model, since the Sun isn't going to be exactly punching in for any overtime for the following two decades, which is about when the situation will come back close to the situation in which we have all lived.

Personally, I'll probably be close to cashing in my chips at that point.  You younger guys might want to check this out.

:(
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Firekin4

• Probationary (Probie)
Re: 2030, start of a solar minimum cycle...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 01:00:53 PM »
Woot I'll be 35. xD Plenty of produce stockpiled by then.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 10:40:57 PM »
To combat this we must put our dumping of Co2 into the atmosphere into top gear.
Even though that won't cause glow bull warming to counter the coming ice age, it would be a lot of fun.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 03:27:59 PM »
To combat this we must put our dumping of Co2 into the atmosphere into top gear.
Even though that won't cause glow bull warming to counter the coming ice age, it would be a lot of fun.

Word coming out today that an Aussie climate scientist has tracked down two major errors in the modelling, one of which boils down to the effect of CO2 emissions on warming have been overestimated by as much as an order of magnitude.  So, yeah, probably not much effect even if we burn coal like crazy now.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 05:42:10 PM »
I bought this book a few months back and it has lots of interesting food for thought about solar cycles and their effects on our weather.

Dark Winter: How the Sun Is Causing a 30-Year Cold Spell by John L. Casey.  It's sold on, among many other sites, amazon.com, which is, outside of conservativecave and my credit union website and mail, my daily go to place lately. :)
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 05:46:06 PM »
Any of you seen this?

Legitimate solar scientists, using real data and pretty sophisticated modelling which actually has a track record for successful prediction, believe there will be a drastic ten-year drop in solar output between 2030 and 2040, the result of an unfortunate combinations of several long-term solar activity cycles coming together in a transitory but very not-good way.

While the solar minimum will last ten years, the drastic cold spell would last for about 30 or more under their model, since the Sun isn't going to be exactly punching in for any overtime for the following two decades, which is about when the situation will come back close to the situation in which we have all lived.

Personally, I'll probably be close to cashing in my chips at that point.  You younger guys might want to check this out.

:(

DAT, I will be over 70 by 2030.  By then, living in sunny Arizona will be a blessing for my bones.  Right now, half the year is brutally hot, although for some strange reason (El Nino) we had a mild spring and fairly temperate summer, for this place anyway!
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 01:50:26 PM »
Word coming out today that an Aussie climate scientist has tracked down two major errors in the modelling, one of which boils down to the effect of CO2 emissions on warming have been overestimated by as much as an order of magnitude.  So, yeah, probably not much effect even if we burn coal like crazy now.

I posted an article about that very subject.
It's in the global warming board.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.