Author Topic: Nightmare in Green Bay: Favre asks for his unconditional release from Green Bay  (Read 17740 times)

Offline john c calhoun

favre's legacy would also be tarnished if he ended up playing for da bears , vikes or lions (all 3 need QB's more than just about anyone in the league too)

I agree on both counts. (Brett's legacy and on QB needs)

However, I think that only on the Vikings would Favre be deadly to the Pack and a true Super Bowl threat. While all three GB rivals badly need QB help, the Vikes are the only team that only needs QB help.

Well the Vikes and maybe the Packers, LOL. There is still a good chance (30-40%?) that Rodgers will come out and totaly suck. GB grabbed Brian Brohm for a reason.

it has to be a similar system.  the WCO isn't always the same WCO offense anymore;  the variations are pretty
extreme.

I would hate to be the packers if he stays in the division.  a pissed off brett favre isn't something you want on
the other sideline.

That's true about the WCO but the Vikes don't need their QB to be superman. With that O-line and AP in the backfield, all the QB has to do is keep the D honest. Givin all day to throw, Brett can do that and more in any WCO.

Holmgren's version of the WCO is as complex as any but a Holmy/Favre reunion would almost be tolerable if it was each guys last year. However, I don't think Favre could beat out Hasselbeck for the job. That and I hate hate hate the idea of Favre anywhere but GB, let alone with "my" Seaahawks. Also, fwiw, Franco Harris, Warren Moon and Jerry Rice all ended great careers with crappy season(s) in Seattle so why not Brett too? (sigh)  :(

Sidenote:
I hate the term "WCO". Unless one means "Walsh Copied Out-the-a$$". Just wanted that on the record.  :-)

exactly why the vikes prolly won't be getting brett favrerer ...

favre has to be the STAR & won't play for anyone that is gonna limit  HIS gameplan...

da bears or  especially the lions would be a better fit for favre in the NORTE division...

but the viqueens are prolly the best team in that division right now & have the best shot at a SB run...

da bears are gonna have alot of guys fresh again & back from injury, but, last year they showed some SERIOUS baffoonery all across the board & I don't think Lovie or most of their players are SMART enough to win a SB...

bottomline is, favre needs to either stand by his decision  to retire from the packers...

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour

just when you think you have found the bottom of while episode . . . . Report: Green Bay Packers Allege Tampering by Minnesota Vikings Over Brett Favre

Offline john c calhoun

just when you think you have found the bottom of while episode . . . . Report: Green Bay Packers Allege Tampering by Minnesota Vikings Over Brett Favre

this means, ain't NO WAY the viqueens will be getting faverer.....

tampering will cost the vikes at least a 1st or 2nd round pick & they still need to BUY favre from the pack...

keep looking brett, the vikes ain't it...

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
You know he'd love to be a Viking. A dud under center right now for the Vikes, a good blindside line in Birk, Hutch and McKinney and a young thoroughbred in the TB position to free up receivers and TEs in the 2nd and 3rd level.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Wretched Excess

You know he'd love to be a Viking. A dud under center right now for the Vikes, a good blindside line in Birk, Hutch and McKinney and a young thoroughbred in the TB position to free up receivers and TEs in the 2nd and 3rd level.

historically, he has sucked out loud in that dome.  and in domes in general, for that matter.

Offline john c calhoun

historically, he has sucked out loud in that dome.  and in domes in general, for that matter.

yep...

and I don't think favres ego would mix well w/ the Vikes headcoach &  being that the Vikes already have their 'STAR' ..... favre has been allowed to do as he pleases in GB & that will not be the case in Minn....

ain't no way favres gut would settle for passing the ball  50% of the time, or less....

he wouldn't be happy....

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion

That Astro-turf at HHM has gone the way of the dodo, though. He would be fine playing on field turf and I'm sure his old joints would hold up on it too.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline john c calhoun

more of a run blocking line....

but you do have a point w/ the TE's.....

favres best weapon back in the SB days was his TE ....

back when I was in high school, I got kicked off the varsity squad because I got caught drinking beer at a party that was deemed 'verboden' by my headcoach.... (ie: soccer not football)

so I tried out for a hotshot 'select' league  in dallas & made the team... because of this, I couldn't play in my normal summer league w/ all my friends that I'd played w/ since the 3rd grade

well, in the cotton cup I had to play all my 'old friends'  & we whooped their ass...

it was THE WORST FEELING in my life.... I quit the select team at the end of the season ...

I don't know how favre could put on the uniform of his rivals & play against his old team in that division.,..

if he does, I'd say he's a grade A asshole

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

back when I was in high school, I got kicked off the varsity squad because I got caught drinking beer at a party that was deemed 'verboden' by my headcoach.... (ie: soccer not football)

so I tried out for a hotshot 'select' league  in dallas & made the team... because of this, I couldn't play in my normal summer league w/ all my friends that I'd played w/ since the 3rd grade

well, in the cotton cup I had to play all my 'old friends'  & we whooped their ass...

it was THE WORST FEELING in my life.... I quit the select team at the end of the season ...

I don't know how favre could put on the uniform of his rivals & play against his old team in that division.,..

if he does, I'd say he's a grade A asshole

I don't think GB will cut him loose -- would you?

Anyone old enough to remember the last years of Fred Dryer's career with the Rams?  This will be like that.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline john c calhoun

if he does, I'd say he's a grade A *******

I don't think GB will cut him loose -- would you?

Anyone old enough to remember the last years of Fred Dryer's career with the Rams?  This will be like that.

yes...

I absolutely think GB will trade Favre ...

he's worth a few million dollars to them & as everyday wears on, Favre is being made to look like the 'badguy' here, so GB's brass may save some face  ....

plus, I pretty well sure the brass was fed up w/ Favre 8 years ago, but, favre filled their seats w/ cheezheads, so they put up with it....

now, w/  favre still being a packer, going back on his 'retirment speech', asking for a trade/ & still wanting to play ..........he's worth $$bling$$ & prolly a draft pick or two  ....

bottomline is, if the colts would trade Unitas during the same era the Rams held onto Dryer....I don't see ANY problem w/ GB trading Favre in the era of Montana & Jerry Rice being traded....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8096f34c&template=with-video&confirm=true
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 01:03:07 PM by john c calhoun »

Offline Wretched Excess

Packers coach commits to Rodgers as Favre drama continues

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Even Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy isn't quite sure how the Brett Favre unretirement saga will play out over the next few days. But he does know this much: Favre or no Favre, Aaron Rodgers is his starting quarterback.

In his season-opening news conference at Lambeau Field on Saturday, McCarthy strongly affirmed the team's commitment to Rodgers and reiterated that players and coaches spent the offseason planning to move forward after Favre retired in March.

"Aaron Rodgers is the starting quarterback for the Green Bay Packers," McCarthy said. "That's been stated over and over again. I hope we can finally understand that. That's where we are as an organization and as a head coach of the Green Bay Packers. I don't know how else to answer that question."

I don't see how in the world you do this . . .  maybe they should have given the guy longer to make up his mind.  what a disaster.

Offline john c calhoun

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Even Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy isn't quite sure how the Brett Favre unretirement saga will play out over the next few days. But he does know this much: Favre or no Favre, Aaron Rodgers is his starting quarterback.

In his season-opening news conference at Lambeau Field on Saturday, McCarthy strongly affirmed the team's commitment to Rodgers and reiterated that players and coaches spent the offseason planning to move forward after Favre retired in March.

"Aaron Rodgers is the starting quarterback for the Green Bay Packers," McCarthy said. "That's been stated over and over again. I hope we can finally understand that. That's where we are as an organization and as a head coach of the Green Bay Packers. I don't know how else to answer that question."

I don't see how in the world you do this . . .  maybe they should have given the guy longer to make up his mind.  what a disaster.

longer?

favre has only had about 6 years to think about it...

this isn't the packers fault, its brett favres...

the guy doesn't no when to say when AND he's going back on his WORD....

remember his little retirement address a month ago or so ??

come on WE...favre was great & he's still top notch 'MOST' of  the time...

but in 'clutch' games last season & for MANY seasons these past few years, he's been TERRIBLE...

besides, at best, the guy has 1, MAYBE 2 seasons left at the NFL level...so the pack have no choice but to move on ....best to do it while favre still has value & already turned in his notice

Offline Wretched Excess

longer?

favre has only had about 6 years to think about it...

this isn't the packers fault, its brett favres...

the guy doesn't no when to say when AND he's going back on his WORD....

remember his little retirement address a month ago or so ??

come on WE...favre was great & he's still top notch 'MOST' of  the time...

but in 'clutch' games last season & for MANY seasons these past few years, he's been TERRIBLE...

besides, at best, the guy has 1, MAYBE 2 seasons left at the NFL level...so the pack have no choice but to move on ....best to do it while favre still has value & already turned in his notice

didn't I win this argument two weeks ago? :whatever:

Offline Wretched Excess

the saga continues . . .
Packers president meets with Favre and his agent

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) — Green Bay Packers president Mark Murphy traveled to Mississippi to meet with quarterback Brett Favre and his agent James "Bus" Cook on Wednesday, in an apparent attempt to talk Favre out of reporting to camp later this week.

Meanwhile, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell took no action on Favre's request for reinstatement Wednesday — giving the sides more time to work out a resolution.

"The commissioner is taking no action today," league officials said in a statement issued by NFL spokesman Greg Aiello. "He wants to give both the Packers and Brett an appropriate amount of time to make decisions, including decisions impacting the team's roster and salary cap. When Brett is reinstated by the commissioner, we will announce it."
The sidelines at Packers practice Wednesday night were buzzing with a question: Did the Packers offer to pay Favre to stay retired?

WTMJ television in Milwaukee reported the team offered Favre several million dollars to stay retired, and the Green Bay Press-Gazette reported on its Web site that the team offered Favre "a substantial salary" to stay away. Both reports cited sources close to Favre.

More

Offline Wretched Excess

ryan grant holding out is actually a bigger problem for green bay right now than the favre saga.

Packers RB Grant misses workouts, seeks new contract

Offline john c calhoun

ryan grant holding out is actually a bigger problem for green bay right now than the favre saga.

I disagree...

grant, a number 5 selection for the giants, who really hasn't proven himself , but now wants 'mo money' ...

lets see what ryan grant does WITHOUT defenses keyed up to stopping brett  favres passing game !

any running back can have one great year, especially when their QB sets world   passing records that very same season....coicidence ??

remember, grant couldn't even make the giants for christs sake....

he's good, but, he doesn't deserve the big bucks just yet & if I were the Packers management, I would make him a fair offer, but wouldn't pay him the kings ransom until he's productive for at least 1 more season....

the death of ALL teams, is a QB controversy....

and this controversy ain't just an average one, its involving the legendary brett favre....if the media made such a big a deal about wrex/orton/greasy, imagine what they'll do (& are already doing) with favres story....

talk about a MAJOR distraction for the players & coaches (fans too)...

favre = manny ramirez....

which I'm starting to think = BEOTCH :rotf:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 09:22:50 AM by john c calhoun »

Offline Wretched Excess

I disagree...

grant, a number 5 selection for the giants, who really hasn't proven himself , but now wants 'mo money' ...

lets see what ryan grant does WITHOUT defenses keyed up to stopping brett  favres passing game !

any running back can have one great year, especially when their QB sets world   passing records that very same season....coicidence ??

he's good, but, he doesn't deserve the big bucks just yet & if I were the Packers management, I would make him a fair offer, but wouldn't pay him the kings ransom until he's productive for at least 1 more season....

and this controversy ain't just an average one, its involving the legendary brett favre....if the media made such a big a deal about wrex/orton/greasy, imagine what they'll do (& are already doing) with favres story....

I read most of your post.  I stopped when you got more than a light year off anything resembling the point,
and had drug in the 1,000th irrelevant factoid.  :-).  I have developed, over the course of reading your posts
for years, a specialized JCC filter. :tongue:

I watched every single snap of every single packer game for the past, oh, three years, for sure.  and I probably haven't
missed three games since God invented satellite television.

ryan grant gained a thousand yards on very few carries, in what was a very pass-oriented offense, especially early in
the season.  he averaged over 5 yards per carry, and THAT is a big deal, PERIOD. 

and, if you read my post, you will notice I didn't touch on what he may or may not deserve in terms of compensation, I
merely pointed out that he was holding out, and that his holdout was a bigger deal that the favre drama.  it's a foregone
conclusion that favre won't be back, so his ultimate disposition impacts the team very little.

and I can assure you that the difference between 8-8 and 13-3 was ryan grant, irrespective of who would have been QB.

Offline john c calhoun

I disagree...

I read most of your post.  I stopped when you got more than a light year off anything resembling the point,
and had drug in the 1,000th irrelevant factoid.  :-).  I have developed, over the course of reading your posts

I watched every single snap of every single packer game for the past, oh, three years, for sure.  and I probably haven't

ryan grant gained a thousand yards on very few carries, in what was a very pass-oriented offense, especially early in
the season.  he averaged over 5 yards per carry, and THAT is a big deal, PERIOD. 

and, if you read my post, you will notice I didn't touch on what he may or may not deserve in terms of compensation, I
merely pointed out that he was holding out, and that his holdout was a bigger deal that the favre drama.  it's a foregone
conclusion that favre won't be back, so his ultimate disposition impacts the team very little.

and I can assure you that the difference between 8-8 and 13-3 was ryan grant, irrespective of who would have been QB.

yes, grant, as do MOST running backs playing for 'pass happy' offenses, have alot of YARDS PER CARRY....

much easier to run against a defense w/ 7 in the box & their pass protect LB's in the game 2 out of 3 downs eh !...

how many yards did grant rush for in the NFC championship, when passing WAS NOT an option ??

michael turner  has more yards per carry than does LT 

so tell us why the chargers traded Michael Turner ? ...

Timmy Smith set Super Bowl records while rushing for the Deadskins back in the late 1980's...

he got a HUGE contract the following season...

what happened to Timmy Smith ??

who the Fluck is timmy smith ??

yeah, there is your answer :lmao:

ryan grant should get offered alot of cash incentives .... basically, rush for what you did last year & we'll pay you a 1 million dollar bonus...

Offline Wretched Excess

I disagree...

yes, grant, as do MOST running backs playing for 'pass happy' offenses, have alot of YARDS PER CARRY....

much easier to run against a defense w/ 7 in the box & their pass protect LB's in the game 2 out of 3 downs eh !...

how many yards did grant rush for in the NFC championship, when passing WAS NOT an option ??

Timmy Smith set Super Bowl records while rushing for the Deadskins back in the late 1980's...

ryan grant should get offered alot of cash incentives .... basically, rush for what you did last year & we'll pay you a 1 million dollar bonus...

<JCC mode>

the rain in spain falls mainly on the plain.

if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

the quick brown fox jumped over the laxy dog.

now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. 

none of this shit has anything to do with the subject of the thread.

I am going to put stuff in "sneer quotes" because it throws off the apparent meaning of otherwise clearly understood phrases.

I am double spacing for no real reason.

oh, here are some smileys that seem to contradict the spirit of my post. :hyper: :beer: :bs:

I am going to close the reply with a controversial phrase that will totally distract you from up my lack of focus;  kiss my ass!

</JCC mode>

you could hardly tell that I actually like JCC, could you? :-)

Offline john c calhoun

I disagree...

<JCC mode>

the rain in spain falls mainly on the plain.

if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

the quick brown fox jumped over the laxy dog.

now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. 

none of this shit has anything to do with the subject of the thread.

I am going to put stuff in "sneer quotes" because it throws off the apparent meaning of otherwise clearly understood phrases.

I am double spacing for no real reason.

oh, here are some smileys that seem to contradict the spirit of my post. :hyper: :beer: :bs:

I am going to close the reply with a controversial phrase that will totally distract you from up my lack of focus;  kiss my ass!

</JCC mode>

« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 10:49:13 AM by john c calhoun »

Offline john c calhoun

I'm focused, you obviously are not since you support wishy washy & washed up brett favres decision to F**K UP his former team...

and since you support the whiney 2nd year running back that wants mo money after only 1 season...

this is good news for my Bears.....

looks as thought the packers don't know which way is up right now, thus leaving da bears poised to WHOOP THE PACKS SORRY ASS'S AGAIN  ...    :evillaugh: :cheersmate:

Offline Wretched Excess

I'm focused, you obviously are not since you support wishy washy & washed up brett favres decision to F**K UP his former team...

and since you support the whiney 2nd year running back that wants mo money after only 1 season...

looks as thought the packers don't know which way is up right now, thus leaving da bears poised to WHOOP THE PACKS SORRY ASS'S AGAIN  ...    :evillaugh: :cheersmate:

my cat's breath smells like cat food.

Offline john c calhoun

my cat's breath smells like cat food.

yes, thats as obvious as the ASS WHOOPING that awaits the pack at soldier field this season :naughty: ...

and its as obvious as the decisions the packs management are making...

Offline Wretched Excess

it looks like the packers are going to cave in, and trade favre to either the bears or the vikings . . . . which is pretty much all he wanted in the first place.

Report: Packers consider sending Favre to division rival

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
I'm getting so sick of hearing about Brett Favre that I look forward to more news on Obama.  I've always liked Brett, but I'm really hoping he falls flat on his face, wherever he lands.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad