Author Topic: Nightmare in Green Bay: Favre asks for his unconditional release from Green Bay  (Read 17746 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
the packer's official statement seems to imply that if he comes back, he would be rogers' backup . . . or at least, that is my initial, and admittedly overly anguished, take on it.

The Green Bay Packers are aware of the latest developments regarding Brett Favre.

Brett earned and exercised the right to retire on his terms. We wanted him to return and welcomed him back on more than one occasion.

Brett's press conference and subsequent conversations in the following weeks illustrated his commitment to retirement.

The finality of his decision to retire was accepted by the organization. At that point, the Green Bay Packers made the commitment to move forward with our football team.

As a retired player, Brett has the option to apply for reinstatement with Commissioner Goodell. If that were to occur, he would become an active member of the Green Bay Packers. As always, the Packers will do what's right and in the best interest of the team.

As with all Packers greats, Brett's legacy will always be celebrated by our fans and the organization, regardless of any change in his personal intentions.

Brett and Deanna will always be a part of the Packers family.

Offline Wretched Excess

sigh.

no, it looks like I read it right.

The Packers legend asked the team for his unconditional release on Friday, but the organization has no intention of granting that request, FOXSports.com has learned. If anything, sources say, the team is prepared to welcome Favre back as a backup to Aaron Rodgers.

how . . . . unsettling. :(

Offline ReardenSteel

sigh.

The Packers legend asked the team for his unconditional release on Friday, but the organization has no intention of granting that request, FOXSports.com has learned. If anything, sources say, the team is prepared to welcome Favre back as a backup to Aaron Rodgers.

WTH?

A 12 million dollar backup?  :thatsright:

Put him on a short leash but the man has earned a starting role. At the very very least let them fight it out in camp and earn the spot back. ( I'd wager he wins it) sheesh
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
This is confusing as all hell. On one side, the Pack want to welcome Favre back, on another side it says they've "moved on". Shit, I think it's harder for us hardcore PackerBackers. We went through 6 months of coping and moving on already and reluctantly accepting that the NFL was going to stand for the No Favre League. But now ya got this back and forth between Favre and the Green Bay organization. If ya look on the front page of Packers News]http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage]Packers News, you'll see the cluster**** of mix ups there. I just don't get it.

It'd tear me apart to see Favre not play for the green and gold, but I'd still catch the games he does play to get another sight of such wizardry on the gridiron.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Wretched Excess

Offline Wretched Excess

sigh.

WTH?

Put him on a short leash but the man has earned a starting role. At the very very least let them fight it out in camp and earn the spot back. ( I'd wager he wins it) sheesh

if he shows up in camp, there is no way he doesn't win the job.

he won 13 games, threw for almost 4,200 yards and 28 TDs last year.  it was one of his best statistical years ever, and THAT is really saying something, considering who we are talking about.

Offline ReardenSteel

sigh.

WTH?

he won 13 games, threw for almost 4,200 yards and 28 TDs last year.  it was one of his best statistical years ever, and THAT is really saying something, considering who we are talking about.

No doubt man. I think his completion percentage was way up there too. But anyway, since we are on the record as being in agreement here, let me ask you a different question all together...

... Would you draft Favre as your fantasy football QB if the draft were held today?
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand

Offline Wretched Excess

sigh.

WTH?

No doubt man. I think his completion percentage was way up there too. But anyway, since we are on the record as being in agreement here, let me ask you a different question all together...

... Would you draft Favre as your fantasy football QB if the draft were held today?

considering the fact  that the most likely scenario is that he applies for reinstatement, is accepted, and languishes all season
as aaron roger's backup?  no.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.

sigh.

WTH?

I wouldn't blame the Packers either way.  Fact is, they drafted 2 QB's because of Favre's retirement.  They really do need to move on.  If Favre comes back and decides to stay another couple years, the steal of the draft a couple years ago, Aaron Rogers, will never have gotten a chance.  What if he goes on to great things somewhere else, Chicago, Minnesota, or Detroit?  Brett sealed his own fate by retiring, now he has to play with the hand he dealt himself.  I think the best thing to do is release him, with the condition he not play for a division rival, a la Joe Montana.  Favre gets to play, and the Packers get to move on (they've been held hostage during the offseason long enough).
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Zeus

Favre goes to the Vikings. The Vikings get moved to New Jersey. The Vikings win a Super Bowl.  :evillaugh:

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline ReardenSteel

sigh.

WTH?

I wouldn't blame the Packers either way.  Fact is, they drafted 2 QB's because of Favre's retirement.  They really do need to move on.  If Favre comes back and decides to stay another couple years, the steal of the draft a couple years ago, Aaron Rogers, will never have gotten a chance.  What if he goes on to great things somewhere else, Chicago, Minnesota, or Detroit?  Brett sealed his own fate by retiring, now he has to play with the hand he dealt himself.  I think the best thing to do is release him, with the condition he not play for a division rival, a la Joe Montana.  Favre gets to play, and the Packers get to move on (they've been held hostage during the offseason long enough).

I would say the fact that they drafted 2 QB's says a lot more about Rodgers than it does about Favre. Brian Brohm, a second round pick, was brought in to compete with Rodgers right away, not to groom for the future. Rodgers may well have fallen in that draft for good reason. (I don't "know" that but who does?) As to the division rivals do you think Favre could be worse than any of those starting QB's, LOL? Fact is, Brertt Favre will be the best QB in GB if the team gets out of his way. Brett is not Joe Montana or Rice or E. Smith even if he has, sadly, gone diva.

- Ayn Rand

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain

sigh.

WTH?

I would say the fact that they drafted 2 QB's says a lot more about Rodgers than it does about Favre. Brian Brohm, a second round pick, was brought in to compete with Rodgers right away, not to groom for the future. Rodgers may well have fallen in that draft for good reason. (I don't "know" that but who does?) As to the division rivals do you think Favre could be worse than any of those starting QB's, LOL? Fact is, Brertt Favre will be the best QB in GB if the team gets out of his way. Brett is not Joe Montana or Rice or E. Smith even if he has, sadly, gone diva.
Do you think they would have drafted those QB's if Favre hadn't retired?  I don't think they could have passed on Brohm, who I thought was the best QB in the draft, but whoever the other one was wouldn't have been drafted.  If Favre does come back and get his starting job back, this is the last year of Rodgers contract, I think.  What are the odds of him re signing if that is the case?  Brett is 39 years old, his last two seasons were horrible and I don't see that team catching lightning in a bottle twice.  Which Favre would we see, last years great season, the two horrible ones before, or somewhere in the middle?

I don't think there is a wrong answer for Green Bay.  I also don't think there is a right answer.  Brett has put the organization in a bad, bad position.

If I quit my job today, and they move on and hire someone else for my position, even if that person isn't as good at my job as I am, should I be able to walk back in and take my job back?
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Wretched Excess

Favre to Fox News: Packers should let me play elsewhere .

uh, oh.  things start to get personal in the second part of this interview.  if there isn't some gigantic :kumbaya: moment in the next few days, there is no way he is going back.  that smell in the air is lighter fluid being applied to brett's bridges back to green bay.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12

uh, oh.  things start to get personal in the second part of this interview.  if there isn't some gigantic :kumbaya: moment in the next few days, there is no way he is going back.  that smell in the air is lighter fluid being applied to brett's bridges back to green bay.

And that sound that sounds like linen ripping is the battalion eight going overhead to make sure those bridges are gone . . .
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain

What alot of athletes and fans tend to forget is that these ballplayers are employees.  Brett Favre was an employee of the Green Bay Packers.  He retired, they made the moves that were in their best interest to carry on the business.  He is not entitled to anything from them, short of a ceremony retiring his jersey.  The organization needs to do what's best for the future of their franchise.  

Offline Wretched Excess

What alot of athletes and fans tend to forget is that these ballplayers are employees.  Brett Favre was an employee of the Green Bay Packers.  He retired, they made the moves that were in their best interest to carry on the business.  He is not entitled to anything from them, short of a ceremony retiring his jersey.  The organization needs to do what's best for the future of their franchise. 

well, i haven't forgotten it, i just don't think it's particularly enlightening to attempt to make sense of this sort of
situation using strictly an employee/employer perspective.  it's a great deal more complicated than that.

Offline Wretched Excess

And that sound that sounds like linen ripping is the battalion eight going overhead to make sure those bridges are gone . . .

yeah, it done got personal now.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain

What alot of athletes and fans tend to forget is that these ballplayers are employees.  Brett Favre was an employee of the Green Bay Packers.  He retired, they made the moves that were in their best interest to carry on the business.  He is not entitled to anything from them, short of a ceremony retiring his jersey.  The organization needs to do what's best for the future of their franchise. 

well, i haven't forgotten it, i just don't think it's particularly enlightening to attempt to make sense of this sort of
situation using strictly an employee/employer perspective.  it's a great deal more complicated than that.

I would be more inclined to feel for Favre, who I've always liked, if we hadn't played the "Am I retiring game" for the last couple of offseasons.

On edit:  I wasn't saying you forgot.  I'm was talking about 49% on ESPN SportsNation saying they should just release him to go play wherever he wants.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 10:37:22 AM by Rebel Yell »

Offline Wretched Excess

I would be more inclined to feel for Favre, who I've always liked, if we hadn't played the "Am I retiring game" for the last couple of offseasons.

I'm certainly on the "bring him come back" side of the argument, but it's because I think green bay would be a much
better team with him, drama queen antics notwithstanding.  of course, that sort of prognostication is immune to
being proved logically, so it's pretty much a crap shoot.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain

I'm certainly on the "bring him come back" side of the argument, but it's because I think green bay would be a much
better team with him, drama queen antics notwithstanding.  of course, that sort of prognostication is immune to

If I thought they could make a legitimate run to the Super Bowl, which I don't, I'd say bring him back.  If he's gonna come back and lead them to a 10-6 season and an early playoff exit, which is what I see, why not go ahead with Aaron Rodgers/Brian Brohm.  Why cost yourself your "QB of the future" for one more mediocre season?  If they leave Aaron riding shotgun again, especially after getting to hold the keys, he'll be playing somewhere else next season.  Then what?  It would be nice to Favre give it one more go, but they could possibly be setting the team back a couple years by doing so.

As I said earlier in this thread.  There's no wrong answer for the Packers, but unfortunately, there's no right answer either.

Offline Wretched Excess

green bay may actually have a bigger problem than whatever may happen with favre . . . their RB ryan grant is holding
out.  the key difference in GB being 13-3 and being 8-8, and 4-12, for that matter, was ryan grant.

I think that sort of difference in performance level would be true regardless of who is QB.

Offline Wretched Excess

If I thought they could make a legitimate run to the Super Bowl, which I don't, I'd say bring him back.  If he's gonna come back and lead them to a 10-6 season and an early playoff exit, which is what I see, why not go ahead with Aaron Rodgers/Brian Brohm.  Why cost yourself your "QB of the future" for one more mediocre season?  If they leave Aaron riding shotgun again, especially after getting to hold the keys, he'll be playing somewhere else next season.  Then what?  It would be nice to Favre give it one more go, but they could possibly be setting the team back a couple years by doing so.

As I said earlier in this thread.  There's no wrong answer for the Packers, but unfortunately, there's no right answer either.

well, I am personally of the opinion that there is no such thing as a "QB of the future" until he has proven that he is
the "QB of the present".  rodgers has completed 35 passes in his career.  the only thing that can really be said about
his NFL credentials is that he looked pretty good in a fill in role for a half against dallas.  that's really not too much to hang
your hat on.

his contract is up at the end of next season, true, but his best chance at stepping into an instant starter role is still
going to be with GB at that point.  as for going to another team . . . how much demand is there for a QB with 35
career completions, and would be starting over in a brand new system?

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain

well, I am personally of the opinion that there is no such thing as a "QB of the future" until he has proven that he is
the "QB of the present".  rodgers has completed 35 passes in his career.  the only thing that can really be said about
his NFL credentials is that he looked pretty good in a fill in role for a half against dallas.  that's really not too much to hang
your hat on.

his contract is up at the end of next season, true, but his best chance at stepping into an instant starter role is still
going to be with GB at that point.  as for going to another team . . . how much demand is there for a QB with 35
career completions, and would be starting over in a brand new system?

Unless Chicago, Minnesota and Detroit all fill there need, there could be demand in Green Bays own division.

Offline ReardenSteel

Do you think they would have drafted those QB's if Favre hadn't retired?  I don't think they could have passed on Brohm, who I thought was the best QB in the draft, but whoever the other one was wouldn't have been drafted.  If Favre does come back and get his starting job back, this is the last year of Rodgers contract, I think.  What are the odds of him re signing if that is the case?  Brett is 39 years old, his last two seasons were horrible and I don't see that team catching lightning in a bottle twice.  Which Favre would we see, last years great season, the two horrible ones before, or somewhere in the middle?

I don't think there is a wrong answer for Green Bay.  I also don't think there is a right answer.  Brett has put the organization in a bad, bad position.

If I quit my job today, and they move on and hire someone else for my position, even if that person isn't as good at my job as I am, should I be able to walk back in and take my job back?

That is pretty darn as dead on as a statement can be, lol.  :cheersmate:

Of course they would not have grabbed two QB's in the draft if Brett didn't do the retirement two step. But what that showed was a tremendous lack of faith in Rodgers to do the job. I agree Favre really stuck it to management with his goofyness but the team has not comported themselves to greatly either.

IMHO, Favre is/would be the best QB the Packers can put on the field this year. I don't see why GB can't make another strong run at the super bowl. The NFC is a little weaker than the AFC and the Packers division is one of the weakest in the NFL. Green Bay (Brett excepted) is a young, talented and improving team. I think it's worth the risk of loosing Rodgers even if Brett played just one year over finishing his contract. (2 years, I think)

However, all that said it looks like the team really will "move on" from the Favre era. I think it's a mistake but it is their right to do it for sure. Favre does have the leverage to go to any other team he wants to (and who want him) so I expect him to use it in the comming days/weeks.

- Ayn Rand

Offline Wretched Excess

another day, another twist in the "brett favre retirement" or not saga.  even more ill will simmering beneath the surface in this one: Favre has no definite plans to apply for reinstatement