Author Topic: Good News for Win XP users.  (Read 5366 times)

Offline thundley4

Good News for Win XP users.
« on: June 25, 2008, 09:38:57 AM »
Microsoft will continue supporting XP through 2014.  I have 3 computers with XP and one with Vista.  I've seriously considered "upgrading" the Vista machine to XP.  With this continued support, I may do so.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=208800494

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Good News for Win XP users.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 10:44:29 AM »
By 2014 computers could be obsolete.  It could be we all have a blob of protoplasma on our desks sending single to our mind's eye.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 11:56:31 AM »
But we will still call it a computer. 

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 02:08:28 AM »
By 2014 computers could be obsolete.  It could be we all have a blob of protoplasma on our desks sending single to our mind's eye.

What you don't have one of those now like the rest of us?
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 10:14:17 AM »

What you don't have one of those now like the rest of us?

Yes. It is quite comfortable.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Bluesuiter-Retired

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 11:30:25 AM »
When its time to trade in my new computer, I'll be taking the hard drive out of it and having a computer nerd install it in the replacement.

One computer, which hardly gets any use in the house, has VISTA.  I want absolutely nothing to do with VISTA.
America - Love It, or LEAVE

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 12:13:44 PM »
When its time to trade in my new computer, I'll be taking the hard drive out of it and having a computer nerd install it in the replacement.

One computer, which hardly gets any use in the house, has VISTA.  I want absolutely nothing to do with VISTA.

Have I posted this for you before?
[youtube=425,350]jOh6Nh8w6f8[/youtube]
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 02:08:14 PM »
Funny how all of this "bloatware" came from a guy that said that no computer should need more than 64 K of RAM!!!

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 04:00:20 PM »
Did anybody else catch the news this weekend that the little pencil-neck shit "retired" from MicroSoft last Friday?  Just in time for Vista to REALLY start ****ing up and the (no)help desk calls to start flooding in.

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
  • Yes, everything you heard about me is true
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 12:02:46 AM »
Funny how all of this "bloatware" came from a guy that said that no computer should need more than 64 K of RAM!!!

If you check it was actually Steve Jobs that said that not Bill Gates.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" - George Orwell

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 12:11:51 AM »
And as far as Vista is concerned if you start with a clean system with minimum hardware requirements met Vista is a rock solid OS. If you start with a system rife with spyware and virii, IOW the average home user system, yeah youll have problems.

Ive been using Vista since it was very early beta and had virtually no problems with it. But then unlike the average user I dont click every infected email that comes my way. I do all of the Windows updates and run an anti virus program and have no problems.

Geez, I cant even remember the last time I had a virus.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" - George Orwell

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 03:45:01 AM »
Quote from: DarkHalo
And as far as Vista is concerned if you start with a clean system with minimum hardware requirements met Vista is a rock solid OS. If you start with a system rife with spyware and virii, IOW the average home user system, yeah youll have problems.

I have this little rule that basically states "Thou should never upgradeth a microsoft product, always do a clean install".

Upgrading any microsoft product , especially something integral like the OS is a recipe for disaster. Clean install and most common problems mysteriously disappear.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 06:34:53 AM »

Ive been using Vista since it was very early beta and had virtually no problems with it. But then unlike the average user I dont click every infected email that comes my way. I do all of the Windows updates and run an anti virus program and have no problems.

Geez, I cant even remember the last time I had a virus.
Mine was a brand new install on slightly old but servicable HW -- and Vista still sucks.  But I haven't had a virus on my home PC ever.  That is from good computing practices (and my wife is even more paranoid than I am -- good for her!).

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 08:01:33 AM »
Yeah, I think Gil Bates said that no one would need more than 2 megs of hard disk space?
Oh, here it is:
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/b/billgates379657.html
"640K ought to be enough for anybody".
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 12:41:21 AM »
Yeah, I think Gil Bates said that no one would need more than 2 megs of hard disk space?
Oh, here it is:
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/b/billgates379657.html
"640K ought to be enough for anybody".

It was Steve Jobs of Apple that said that not Bill Gates. People get it wrong all the time.