Author Topic: Final race for America's Cup after Oracle USA comes from behind  (Read 2600 times)

Offline DLR Pyro

Final race for America's Cup after Oracle USA comes from behind
« on: September 25, 2013, 01:21:44 PM »
After Comeback for the Ages, a Last Dash for America’s Cup

This year's America's Cup is a lesson in hanging in and never giving up.  The Oracle USA boat started with a -2 point deficit after being penalized for an infraction that took place almost a year ago.  Since last Thrusday New Zealand was one win away from taking the cup back home when they lead the series 8-1, but Oracle came back and won 7 consecutive races to even the series up to 8-8 in an event where the first team to win 9 races wins the cup.  Oracle USA has actually won 10 races in the series but due to their 2 point penalty they need to win 11 races to keep the cup in America.  Final race starts in about 2 hours (weather permitting)

The new AC72 design of boats makes the sport of sailboat racing much more exciting that the older monohull designs with boats exceeding sppeds of 50MPH.

Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline DLR Pyro

Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Rick

• Crazy old man
Re: Final race for America's Cup after Oracle USA comes from behind
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 04:38:19 PM »
OK we are bring it home.

Oh those were the days, the cat fleet in Long Beach. Summers after work.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 08:40:24 AM »
There was a Top Gear episode which had James on that boat, racing Jeremy and Richard to the tip of New Zealand (from somewhere further south in NZ).  As all of the Top Gear episodes are (at least the BBC ones, anyway), it was a riot.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 09:15:11 AM »
This year's America's Cup is a lesson in hanging in and never giving up.

I'd say we've had more than just one lately.
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

John C Calhoun, "Disquisition on Government", 1840

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 09:33:02 AM »
Congratulations to the team! YEY WE WON!!!! er they won...hehe  Man 50+ mph speed of that boat is insane. 
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.