Author Topic: I need opinions, advice...  (Read 14629 times)

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Re: I need opinions, advice...
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2013, 11:05:53 AM »
Know anything about refurbished stuff?

Good, bad, so-so, don't even think about it?

I don't see why not, as long as it comes with a warranty.

BTW, this might be a good time to set up those email notifications to your phone.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 11:34:40 AM »
 :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

to all of you for your help!!!

I was here at my desk a little while ago, got a chirp... it was a report from the company I've been trying to snag reports from and....

I GOT IT!!!!

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

EK....went through my settings on my phone again, and they are all set right as far as I can tell, but still not getting the notifications without doing an almost constant refresh. I think I'm probably going to have to take it to Verizon and have them figure it out. Cause the way it looks, my email should just drop into phone too.

Might have to set up a google account just for stuff to come directly from my email. Right now the google account I have, is for when I don't want to give out my "real" email and I don't even know how to get into it.  :whistling:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Dori

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 12:00:06 PM »
I have a basic kindle... still in the box since last Dec..  :thatsright:

Here is a video on how to access e-mail instantly on your iphone.

You can access e-mail with your kindle.  There is probably an app for it and video on how to get it to give you an instant notification.
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 12:16:34 PM »

Here is a video on how to access e-mail instantly on your iphone.

You can access e-mail with your kindle.  There is probably an app for it and video on how to get it to give you an instant notification.

Dori

Thanks, but I don't have an iphone. I have a Razr from Verizon.

I will check into the kindle access, but I think mine is just for reading books. It's a very basic one.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Dori

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 12:37:15 PM »
Dori

Thanks, but I don't have an iphone. I have a Razr from Verizon.

I will check into the kindle access, but I think mine is just for reading books. It's a very basic one.

If it's new and still in the box, maybe Amazon would upgrade it to a kindle fire.
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2013, 05:08:58 PM »
If it's new and still in the box, maybe Amazon would upgrade it to a kindle fire.

It was my 60th birthday present from my best friend... I think I'll keep it.  :wink:

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2013, 09:11:36 AM »
Thanks again for everyone's help!!!

I ended up with 5 reports yesterday!!!!!  :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2013, 09:21:44 AM »
Thanks again for everyone's help!!!

I ended up with 5 reports yesterday!!!!!  :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
So I take it everything worked out?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2013, 09:36:17 AM »
It was my 60th birthday present from my best friend... I think I'll keep it.  :wink:

You have a friend?  :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:  :tongue:  :wink:  :-*
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2013, 09:41:46 AM »
You have a friend?  :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:  :tongue:  :wink:  :-*

only a couple.  :-)

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2013, 09:46:38 AM »
So I take it everything worked out?

Yes, as far as my PC is concerned. It's working wonderfully....just got another as I started to type this!!!  :yahoo:

Haven't figured out the phone yet. Will probably go out to Verizon on Saturday and see what they can do to my phone.

Still need opinions on a tablet to replace my laptop and do what I need/want.

I'm loving this chirp!! just got another...  :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:  These are from the company I have so much trouble getting!

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2013, 09:51:52 AM »
I hate the chirp. :rofl:

Lotus Notes comes with an instant messaging feature called Sametime.  I wish I could get work credit for all the time I spend on the damn thing.  It's either dinging or bonking at me.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2013, 09:54:44 AM »
It's actually kind of like an elevator ding. But chirp sounds better than ding...  :-)  I don't think there is a way for it to make a different sound.

Also the tab at the top of the screen blinks.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2013, 10:23:51 AM »
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2013, 10:24:18 AM »
It's actually kind of like an elevator ding. But chirp sounds better than ding...  :-)  I don't think there is a way for it to make a different sound.

Also the tab at the top of the screen blinks.

And speaking of Tabs Debk, I have been looking at these lately, the price looks around what you were talking about. I have used Tiger for years but there are all sorts of discounters on the Web once you decide your size and price range.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8196266&csid=_61

Recently saw one IRL while at BJ's ( local big box discount store similar to Sam's or Costco) and played with it a bit.   I have been using a lot of Samsung stuff lately and, knock on wood, have had good luck with their stuff so far.

You will want to check to see what the best version of Android software is available with whatever you buy. I suspect many people will give you a 'good deal' on stuff with outdated or crappier versions. Most high school kids are probability well versed in the various versions and their limitations and you will still need your current WIFI set-up to use WIFI at home.
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2013, 10:50:03 AM »
And speaking of Tabs Debk, I have been looking at these lately, the price looks around what you were talking about. I have used Tiger for years but there are all sorts of discounters on the Web once you decide your size and price range.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8196266&csid=_61

Recently saw one IRL while at BJ's ( local big box discount store similar to Sam's or Costco) and played with it a bit.   I have been using a lot of Samsung stuff lately and, knock on wood, have had good luck with their stuff so far.

You will want to check to see what the best version of Android software is available with whatever you buy. I suspect many people will give you a 'good deal' on stuff with outdated or crappier versions. Most high school kids are probability well versed in the various versions and their limitations and you will still need your current WIFI set-up to use WIFI at home.

We don't have BJ's down here, but have both Sam's & Costco. I have only been looking at Sam's online, and it seems like BestBuy has better deals.

I want it for primarily for checking emails, accepting reports (not doing them on it) and general web surfing and not replace my laptop. I can't do reports when I am out of town anyway, so there isn't really a reason to replace my laptop.

Dumb as it sounds, I want something I can stick in my purse or even just carry around the house, that will chirp when an email comes in and I can accept the report wherever I am instead of being tethered to my desk. The offers come in to my email at all hours now, with some of the new companies I've recently picked up, not just between 9am to 6pm. I missed 2 the other night that came in after midnight!

Samsung has a new tab that seems to be getting a lot of advertising.  I get lost when it starts talking about Jelly Bean and there's another one... lollipop? Some of this stuff may not be compatible with the companies'. I tried to accept one yesterday from my phone it couldn't. It said it worked with Microsoft 5 or 6...huh? I was able to get it from my PC though..

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2013, 09:47:15 AM »
http://www.bensoutlet.com/t/features/watch often has tables on sale as well as their sister site, http://1saleaday.com

I don't see where a tablet will be any better for you than a laptop. Tablets often have problems with Word documents & printing. I'd suggest you stay with a laptop. You'll be better of in the long run. The good thing about a tablet is that they are less weight & very portable. That said, with you already having a smart phone, you'd just be spending extra $$$ on another piece of electronics. 
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2013, 08:28:01 AM »
http://www.bensoutlet.com/t/features/watch often has tables on sale as well as their sister site, http://1saleaday.com

I don't see where a tablet will be any better for you than a laptop. Tablets often have problems with Word documents & printing. I'd suggest you stay with a laptop. You'll be better of in the long run. The good thing about a tablet is that they are less weight & very portable. That said, with you already having a smart phone, you'd just be spending extra $$$ on another piece of electronics

Now really, if one applied logic and common sense to every impulse purchase just where would that leave the folk who work in sales and marketing?  What are you some kinda commie bastard with a five year acquisition plan for major purchases.  I thought so.   :rotf:  Next you will be after handbag and shoes purchasers won't ya!! :lmao: :lmao:

(Hey Thor, how you been doing? Haven't seen ya around much).

FWIW I still have a land line and my cell phone is a DUMB flip type prepaid that is off way more than on.   I think it is called "The Geezer". :whistling:

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2013, 12:41:45 PM »

I don't see where a tablet will be any better for you than a laptop. Tablets often have problems with Word documents & printing. I'd suggest you stay with a laptop. You'll be better of in the long run. The good thing about a tablet is that they are less weight & very portable. That said, with you already having a smart phone, you'd just be spending extra $$$ on another piece of electronics. 

Won't be using it for printing and will only need it to read Word, not work in Word.

Again I want to thank y'all for your help in figuring out my "delay" issue... I can't begin to tell you what a difference it has made in getting offers before someone else does! Right now, I have 9 outstanding orders, and I've already completed 2 others today!  :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:  Lost 2 today, only because I had done reports on them in the last 6 months for the same company, and can't do a repeat within the 6mos.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2013, 07:27:55 PM »
Now really, if one applied logic and common sense to every impulse purchase just where would that leave the folk who work in sales and marketing?  What are you some kinda commie bastard with a five year acquisition plan for major purchases.  I thought so.   :rotf:  Next you will be after handbag and shoes purchasers won't ya!! :lmao: :lmao:

(Hey Thor, how you been doing? Haven't seen ya around much).

FWIW I still have a land line and my cell phone is a DUMB flip type prepaid that is off way more than on.   I think it is called "The Geezer". :whistling:

:-)  Yep, I tend to over-analyze things. I guess that has to do with working within OPTAR budgets & stuff.

I've been doing better. Walking is hard to get restarted. Something really killed my legs when I got sick last March. Everything else is good, though.  Now, my missions are to get back to being able to walk with a cane & find a woman who actually wants to be around me 24/7. I THOUGHT I had found one, but that didn't work out.  :( OFW....
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2013, 03:31:37 PM »

:-)  Yep, I tend to over-analyze things. I guess that has to do with working within OPTAR budgets & stuff.

I've been doing better. Walking is hard to get restarted. Something really killed my legs when I got sick last March. Everything else is good, though.  Now, my missions are to get back to being able to walk with a cane & find a woman who actually wants to be around me 24/7. I THOUGHT I had found one, but that didn't work out.  :( OFW....

Ah then, OFW can also be Overseas Filipino Workers.  :tongue:    A good friend of mine always said if he lost his mate he was heading to Manila to do some shopping (he went first actually).  Use to be all he would talk about whenever we pulled the cork on a bottle of good Scotch, he had been stationed at Subic Bay.  I still miss him more than I miss good Scotch.   

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2013, 02:06:14 PM »
Ah then, OFW can also be Overseas Filipino Workers.  :tongue:    A good friend of mine always said if he lost his mate he was heading to Manila to do some shopping (he went first actually).  Use to be all he would talk about whenever we pulled the cork on a bottle of good Scotch, he had been stationed at Subic Bay.  I still miss him more than I miss good Scotch.   

LOL!! I've spent a good amount of time at Cubi Pt./Subic Bay/ Olongapo. ;)

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2013, 03:51:05 PM »
LOL!! I've spent a good amount of time at Cubi Pt./Subic Bay/ Olongapo. ;)

A Filipino nurse ( well maybe just a Filipino niece in a nurses uniform ) might be nice to have around.  Kind of a lend lease thing.   ;)   Well, maybe more like Craig's List thing. :naughty:

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2013, 04:59:44 PM »
A Filipino nurse ( well maybe just a Filipino niece in a nurses uniform ) might be nice to have around.  Kind of a lend lease thing.   ;)   Well, maybe more like Craig's List thing. :naughty:

LBRBFMs.........   :drunksailor:

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2013, 06:21:50 PM »
Deb even the basic Kindle has Wi-Fi. It can be used for email but I think you would have to use gmail, yahoo, Hotmail, etc.

The Kindle has an internet browser.