Author Topic: High School Track Team Disqualified When Runner Gestures Thanks to God  (Read 3551 times)

Offline Dori

High School Track Team Disqualified When Runner Gestures Thanks to God

The Columbus High School Mighty Cardinals had won the 4x100-meter relay--by seven yards, no less--and had a shot at the state championship. That was until Junior sprinter Derrick Hayes pointed to the sky.  Hayes's father, K.C., said that his son made a gesture of thanks to God, but raising a hand to the sky is considered excessive celebration according to the state scholastic rules. And with that, the team was disqualified
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline CG6468

It's a good thing my kids are grown up; I'D GO BATSHIT CRAZY DEALING THIS!!!!  :rant:
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
OMG! They better strip the KC Chiefs of their Super Bowl IV championship...

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline A7X_foREVer

This pisses me off to no end
Voting for Obama for a second term would be like the captain of the Titanic backing into the iceberg again

Offline drazor1

• Probationary (Probie)
  • Prayer at Valley Forge
When it comes down to it, if the opposing team members, their parents, and the coach, don't come out and defend this kid, meaning that they come clean and publicly admit that the winner's gesture didn't offend them and that they deserve the win, then they should also be ashamed.  This is a real teaching moment for the kids on the opposing team from their parents and coach.  They cannot be satisfied with a default win over this issue.  I would certainly not be happy to advance in the standings based on the fact that a kid thanked God for his talent and his victory.  It's pathetic.  That opposing team should do the right thing and acknowledge the real winning team's achievements.  It would be a real Christian thing to do...
"I heard bullets whistle past my head and let me tell you, there was something charming in the sound…"  George Washington
(Written in a letter to his brother, August, after his first taste of battle, after a 21-year-old Washington single-handedly set into motion the events that would begin the French and Indian War)

Offline CG6468

Our nation is a thing of the past.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Lacarnut

Our nation is a thing of the past.

Afraid you might be correct. God is bad. The country is getting down in the gutter with left wing ideology such as legalization of drugs, prostitution, abortions, etc. We will pay a price for godliness.   

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
The libs have made so many aspects of our society into a Lewis Carroll plot.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Stupid.  :mental:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Stupid.  :mental:

I wonder just how much money was riding on the opposing team to win ?

Offline Lacarnut

Where do you come up with such stupidity? I have heard of betting on college football but never on H.S. track.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies

What does this have to do with gambling??????????  :???: :wtf2: :mental:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Where do you come up with such stupidity? I have heard of betting on college football but never on H.S. track.

You be surprised at the small towns in the South that have so little entertainment they live for H.S sports.    Only place I ever lived that the majority of the town turned out for a girls basketball game.

Some weekends they had to cancel the dog or cock fights as everyone was out rooting for a soft ball game, little league.

Small towns where most everyone has lived a generation or 2 next door to their neighbors, most everyone has a horse in the race be it son, daughter, nephew, niece, grand child or family's of best friends.

Any kind of competitions brings out the money be it cockroach racing, to frog jumping.

I suggest you Lacarnut  get out a bit more to see the other side of life.

Then there are the businesses that sponsor's the H.S. GAMES, they want to advertise they are proud sponsors of the H.S  winners in a Spelling Bee or Chess Club, the Swim team or field hockey teams.

The recruiters for the professional sports teams start at Freshman level H.S. and keep an eye on the potential college players for years.

There is money to be made in sports one way or another.    Never know when a recruiter will pick up a 15 year old track runner for possible future Olympic endorsements.