Author Topic: problem  (Read 11926 times)

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Re: problem
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 07:26:08 PM »
I hadn't nadined it yet; I had the impression it might be some piece of big equipment.

But I'll keep you up to date.

Keep this in mind while thinking about a usb hub.

http://www.kb.indiana.edu/data/aout.html

Many computer manufacturers do not clearly mark USB port versions. Use the Device Manager to determine if your computer has USB 1.1, 2.0, or 3.0 ports:

Open the Device Manager.

In the Device Manager window, click the + (plus sign) next to Universal Serial Bus controllers. You will see a list of the USB ports installed on your computer.

If your USB port name contains "Universal Host", your port is version 1.1.
If the port name contains both "Universal Host" and "Enhanced Host", your port is version 2.0.
If the port name contains "USB 3.0", your port is version 3.0.

Match the hub to your version of usb and you will maximize what is otherwise a slow connection.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2013, 07:57:10 PM »
I remember when USB was released, one of the specifications is that a single USB controller can address 127 different devices. 

One of those interesting facts that will probably never be utilized.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2013, 08:10:04 PM »
I remember when USB was released, one of the specifications is that a single USB controller can address 127 different devices. 

One of those interesting facts that will probably never be utilized.

But there is a limit on how many can be piggybacked I believe.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2013, 08:11:05 PM »
But there is a limit on how many can be piggybacked I believe.
You're limited by the number of physical connections that can be made but the controller itself will handle 127 individual devices.  I think SCSI is the same way.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline samspade

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 08:38:51 PM »
Let me see if I can help.  When yoiur computer powers up, it goes into POST mode which basically searches for equipment like the hard drive, keyboard, etc. now if you have a usb card or such installed it does not detect.  Your keyboard and mouse has to be plugged into your primary ports so that the computer will recognise them. Usually a computer will beep and a screen will pop up telling you the the computer can not find the device.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2013, 08:45:44 PM »
You're limited by the number of physical connections that can be made but the controller itself will handle 127 individual devices.  I think SCSI is the same way.

I thought there was a smaller limit on how many USB devices could be connected serially.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2013, 08:47:04 PM »
I thought there was a smaller limit on how many USB devices could be connected serially.
Oh, that's different.

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2013, 09:05:41 PM »
This is the USB hub I picked up at Walmart for about 2-3 bucks. Plugs into one USB port in the back of the PC and gives four out. My USB ports are 2.0.

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline thundley4

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2013, 09:13:03 PM »
This is the USB hub I picked up at Walmart for about 2-3 bucks. Plugs into one USB port in the back of the PC and gives four out. My USB ports are 2.0.

A side note about USB hubs and other devices.  Even thought they might be labeled USB 2.0 or 3.0, I think they are all back compatible with USB 1.0 .

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2013, 06:09:28 PM »
Okay, I'm back from the computer place in the big city.

Rather than taking this tower in to get the USB ports on the back replaced--I'll do that next week--I instead took in the old computer, to see if something could be done with it, as I'd been told it was probably something very minor.

The guy didn't even run a diagnostics test on it; he opened the case, saw something, pointed it out to me, and said "no good," not worth repairing.

He told me what it was, but damn, I wasn't "grasping" very well at all.

There's three pins, posts, stakes, whatever, inside that have cone-type tops.

Or rather, they're supposed to be cone-type tops.

Over time, these cone-type tops flattened down.

He was able to get into the computer, though (I hadn't been), and retrieve thousands of photographs, transferring them to a compact disc.   I told him to junk the computer.  It cost $20 total.

I'm happy; I got the photographs yanked out of there.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2013, 09:59:15 AM »
Sounds like you need a new motherboard. Bummer.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2013, 10:35:26 AM »
The guy didn't even run a diagnostics test on it; he opened the case, saw something, pointed it out to me, and said "no good," not worth repairing.

He told me what it was, but damn, I wasn't "grasping" very well at all.

Frank, I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I really need to unload. Make an offer...

I told him to junk the computer.

...and he'll get a couple of hundred on the parts.

I'm happy; I got the photographs yanked out of there.

Well, at least ya got something.......

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2013, 05:54:20 PM »
Frank, I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I really need to unload. Make an offer...

Oh now, the guy's wholly ethical.

And I got what I wanted.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2013, 06:59:58 PM »

You may not know it but Frank doesn't buy newer computers or spend much money money on them.  He doesn't need or want all the frills, bells and whistles that most of us want.

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2013, 08:38:43 PM »
What I'm saying is that it sounds to me like Frank "got took"..........or at a minimum could have done better with a second opinion.

Over time, these cone-type tops flattened down.

That just doesn't sound right. I have absolutely no idea what kind of pin, inside a case that Frank couldn't open, has a cone type top that flattens out over time. I build my own PCs, bare bones from the case and power supply out, and I've never spent more than $500 for the components to put one together. Everything is off-the-shelf.

For my wife on the other hand, everything on the other side of the screen is pure magic.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2013, 10:21:31 PM »
What I'm saying is that it sounds to me like Frank "got took"..........or at a minimum could have done better with a second opinion.

That just doesn't sound right. I have absolutely no idea what kind of pin, inside a case that Frank couldn't open, has a cone type top that flattens out over time. I build my own PCs, bare bones from the case and power supply out, and I've never spent more than $500 for the components to put one together. Everything is off-the-shelf.

For my wife on the other hand, everything on the other side of the screen is pure magic.

Oh now, marv, sir, the guy's a good guy.  I've been dealing with him for 12 years now.

He's highly reminiscent of a 1950s Popular Mechanics fan, and wears a plastic pocket protector on his shirt.

If the old computer was going to need a lot of work, I didn't care; it cost so little when I first got it, and I got so much use out of it, that if he'd charged me to dispose of it, I still would've come out ahead.

As for the three pins, stakes, stumps, posts, whatever, he showed me the ones on the old computer, and then opened another computer to show me how they're supposed to be.  He told me their name, damn it, but I wasn't grasping it.

<<<gets tired of asking people to repeat themselves.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline samspade

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2013, 02:49:34 AM »
Oh now, marv, sir, the guy's a good guy.  I've been dealing with him for 12 years now.

He's highly reminiscent of a 1950s Popular Mechanics fan, and wears a plastic pocket protector on his shirt.

If the old computer was going to need a lot of work, I didn't care; it cost so little when I first got it, and I got so much use out of it, that if he'd charged me to dispose of it, I still would've come out ahead.

As for the three pins, stakes, stumps, posts, whatever, he showed me the ones on the old computer, and then opened another computer to show me how they're supposed to be.  He told me their name, damn it, but I wasn't grasping it.

<<<gets tired of asking people to repeat themselves.
The only thing that comes to mind with the three pins is that computers have jumpers in them that you can use to clear the CMOS.  The CMOS stores the current con figuration of the computer and if  the computer acts up then one can use these pins to clear the problem by taking what looks like a little plastic sleeve and moving it from the two pins up to the pin on top using the middle pin and then reversing it back to the original position.  This clears the memory and set the computer back to default.  Earlier I had mentioned that perhaps the problem was that when the keyboard plugs were changed , the plug (USB) was put in a card and not the main computer port and so the keyboard was not recognized.  I have personal experience with this and once I plugged the keyboard in one of the original usb slots the keyboard was recognized.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2013, 12:15:07 AM »
fan power pins are sometime 3 pins, of which normally only two are used unless they're controlling the CPU fan.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson