Author Topic: Why Windows 8 Fails  (Read 4708 times)

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
Why Windows 8 Fails
« on: January 17, 2013, 11:41:58 AM »
20 some minutes long but he lays out his case pretty well and in a way that is easy to follow. The short summary would be: Windows 8, less user friendly than DOS.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WTYet-qf1jo[/youtube]
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Why Windows 8 Fails
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 01:09:41 PM »
I picked up a copy the other week but have not had time to install it.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 01:19:59 PM »
Just ordered a new laptop from Dell for me missus.  No option for it to come with anything other than Win8.  Looks like one of the first things I'll be doing will be replacing it with Win7 Professional.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 01:24:35 PM »
Just ordered a new laptop from Dell for me missus.  No option for it to come with anything other than Win8.  Looks like one of the first things I'll be doing will be replacing it with Win7 Professional.
Check with MS... http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9230815/Microsoft_will_allow_downgrades_from_Windows_8_to_Windows_7_Vista
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 02:23:25 PM »
I'm finally starting to get the hang of it. I downloaded "Classic Shell" so it's more like W7. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/127450/how-to-log-into-the-desktop-add-a-start-menu-and-disable-hot-corners-in-windows-8/
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline Firekrakka

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 11:02:36 PM »
We have a new Toshiba laptop with Win8. The first thing I noticed was lack of start menu so I downloaded "Start8" from Stardock. I'm really glad I did. :)

Getting older is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Offline Teri

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 09:02:22 AM »
I'm just happy that I didn't have to switch to Chrome to post.  The hub said there's some kind of browser war going on, so on some sites Windows 8 works just fine and on others, you have to switch to chrome to get your space bar to work.

He said once you get Windows 8 configured, everything works just fine...  I depend on him because I'm not as puter savy as some are. 

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 10:29:51 AM »
I heard that Windows has the Star Trek curse but with even numbers.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 11:49:57 PM »
I heard that Windows has the Star Trek curse but with even numbers.

HEHE no all Windoze are bad..DOS 6.22 was ok...but i digress...
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 12:47:19 AM »
Rumor on the interweb is that Windows 8 has a very high incidence of cracking laptop and desktop screens. The complaints from customers said the result was actually quite creepy. Among the many cuss words used when the screens cracked was the most used swear word "ass".
Guess what that makes it ?
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 07:18:33 AM »
School gave me an Appple MacBook Air which i'm loving! I had to re-learn everything from Windows. It looks like Windows 8 is a poorer version of OSX.

This Apple is the first laptop where I can use the mousepad and not wish for a separate mouse. There's a click, there are different actions if you use one or two or three fingers, and the interface is really easy.

It looks like Windows forgot that.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 11:08:24 AM »
School gave me an Appple MacBook Air which i'm loving! I had to re-learn everything from Windows. It looks like Windows 8 is a poorer version of OSX.

This Apple is the first laptop where I can use the mousepad and not wish for a separate mouse. There's a click, there are different actions if you use one or two or three fingers, and the interface is really easy.

It looks like Windows forgot that.
You almost described my current laptop situation to a "t".
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 06:38:23 PM »
I have no Idea why windows 8 fails....other than it is a Redmond product.....but the thing that gets me is every time I buy a laptop I have to pay the windows tax. I go home screenshot the device manager then wipe the drive and install a superior OS. No mater who I buy it from I have to buy the hardware with that Gates tripe on it.....
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 08:59:10 AM »
I'm running Windows 8.1 at the moment. The "new" start button is nothing
but a tacked on joke to stop people complaining about it. Some of the things
it let's you access are things the average user shouldn't be aloud to open.

Other wise Windows 8.1 is really nice. They've made a lot of little improvements
and refined what Windows 8 was.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 09:06:00 AM »
I guess I haven't received an update yet... I don't have a Start button on my desktop.

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 09:19:53 AM »
I guess I haven't received an update yet... I don't have a Start button on my desktop.

It's a Beta/Preview version at the moment. You can download it from MS or go to their website are update from the App Store.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2013, 08:19:42 AM »
I'm running Windows 8.1 at the moment. The "new" start button is nothing
but a tacked on joke to stop people complaining about it. Some of the things
it let's you access are things the average user shouldn't be aloud to open.

Other wise Windows 8.1 is really nice. They've made a lot of little improvements
and refined what Windows 8 was.

So what you are saying it is nothing more than a polish?