Author Topic: How about those Bronco's?  (Read 13797 times)

Offline Kyle Ricky

How about those Bronco's?
« on: September 17, 2012, 11:29:57 PM »
Yeah, sure Manning is the greatest QB in history. He is one of the most over rated QB's in history.

Final score - Denver: 21, Falcons: 27

Passing: P. Manning (DEN) - 241 YDS, 1 TD, 3 INT
Rushing: W. McGahee (DEN) - 22 CAR, 113 YDS, 2 TD

Golden Boy Manning threw three interceptions in the first quarter. I will say because no one else will; Manning has too much hype following him.

Offline BigTex

Re: How about those Bronco's?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 11:35:13 PM »
Broncos 1-1
Steelers 1-1

Cardinals 2-0

Clearly Kevin Kolb is better than Manning and Ben

A 6 point loss on the road hardly the end of the world, the Broncos are used to the 3 and outs of Tebow it will take a few games to get used to the hurry up offense of Manning

If you want to talk overrated, Terry Bradshaw is the most overrated QB in history
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism. -Kenny Powers

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 11:41:48 PM »
Broncos 1-1
Steelers 1-1

Cardinals 2-0

Clearly Kevin Kolb is better than Manning and Ben

A 6 point loss on the road hardly the end of the world, the Broncos are used to the 3 and outs of Tebow it will take a few games to get used to the hurry up offense of Manning

If you want to talk overrated, Terry Bradshaw is the most overrated QB in history

I'm not saying that Ben is the great one this year. I am pointing out that Manning is too overrated.

And, yes, I agree with you on the fact that Terry Bradshaw was overrated as well. Being from the Pittsburgh area I hear about it all the time. Most people around Pittsburgh, who were old enough to remember, say Bradshaw was one of the worst quarter backs in history, it was the team that made him look good. Then those same people are still upset with him over the great fiasco of the 80's.

I don't know why I keep making overrated two words. DOH!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 11:44:25 PM by Kyle Ricky »

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 11:48:33 AM »

Yep, they don't come much worse, do they?   :whatever:
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

John C Calhoun, "Disquisition on Government", 1840

Offline BigTex

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 12:46:50 PM »
Yep, they don't come much worse, do they?   :whatever:

I guess you don't understand what "overrated" means, it doesn't mean they were bad. It means they weren't as good are their reputation.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism. -Kenny Powers

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 01:45:30 PM »
I guess you don't understand what "overrated" means, it doesn't mean they were bad. It means they weren't as good are their reputation.

I am fully aware of what the term means.  Heath Shuler was overrated, Vince Young was horribly overrated, the 2011 Clemson Tigers were grossly overrated.

In the context you are providing, juxtaposed against 4 Super Bowl victories (2 different back to back appearances) and 3 MVP awards (Super Bowls 13/14, 1978 NFL MVP), I don't think your assessment holds much water.
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 01:58:37 PM »
Yeah, sure Manning is the greatest QB in history. He is one of the most over rated QB's in history.

Golden Boy Manning threw three interceptions in the first quarter. I will say because no one else will; Manning has too much hype following him.

McNabb might give him a run for, "most overrated QB".  :-) 
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne

Offline BigTex

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 02:05:55 PM »
I am fully aware of what the term means.  Heath Shuler was overrated, Vince Young was horribly overrated, the 2011 Clemson Tigers were grossly overrated.

In the context you are providing, juxtaposed against 4 Super Bowl victories (2 different back to back appearances) and 3 MVP awards (Super Bowls 13/14, 1978 NFL MVP), I don't think your assessment holds much water.

You are the one whos overrating him. Look at that team. Joe Greene 10 pro bowls, Mike Webster 9 Pro bowls, Franco Harris 9 pro bowls, Jack Lambert, 9 pro bowls, Jack Ham 8 pro bowls, LC Greenwood 6 pro bowls, Mel Blount 5 pro bowls, Donnie Shell 5 pro bowls,  John Stallworth 4 pro bowls, Lynn Swan 3 pro bowls, Terry Bradshaw 3 pro bowls.

Yes Bradshaw won 4 SBs but hes not even close to the best player on the team.

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 02:25:37 PM »
Yes Bradshaw won 4 SBs but hes not even close to the best player on the team.

Never said he was the best, just saying he's not overrated.  The four Super Bowls are a testament to how well he can lead a team, particularly an offense.  The three MVP selections kinda proves the point that his reputation is not that far from what was his real ability.

C.S. Lewis

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 02:26:32 PM »

Yeah, that I can kinda agree with.

C.S. Lewis

Offline BigTex

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 02:35:15 PM »
Never said he was the best, just saying he's not overrated.  The four Super Bowls are a testament to how well he can lead a team, particularly an offense.  The three MVP selections kinda proves the point that his reputation is not that far from what was his real ability.

QB did not have the same importance (as a position or as an automatic team leader) back than as it does today and the MVP doesnt prove hes great Rich Gannon won an MVP.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 02:53:54 PM »

Really?

Manning played college football at the University of Tennessee, leading the Volunteers to the 1997 SEC Championship in his senior season. He was chosen by the Indianapolis Colts with the first overall pick in the 1998 NFL Draft. From 1998 to 2010, he led the Colts to eight, seven AFC South and one AFC East, division championships, two AFC championships, and to a Super Bowl championship (Super Bowl XLI). He has won a record four league most valuable player awards,[1] was the most valuable player of Super Bowl XLI, has been named to eleven Pro Bowls, has eleven 4,000-yard passing seasons (including a record six straight),[2][3] and is the Indianapolis Colts' all-time leader in passing yards (54,828) and touchdown passes (399). In 2009, he was named the best player in the NFL[2][3] and Fox Sports along with Sports Illustrated named him the NFL player of the decade of the 2000s.

He's with a new team, they aren't familiar with his skills nor is he familiar with theirs. They are 1-2 and 2nd in their division.  And already you are bitchin'. If this was the end of the season or next year and the Broncos were suckin' pond water, then you would be justified in bitching.

But to say that Peyton is "overrated" already?

Too soon to make a judgement.

Oh, and yes, I AM a Peyton Manning fan.  :-)

I will agree that Heath was overrated. He got lucky here at UT, but wasn't up to the pro caliber needed to succeed.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 02:57:50 PM »
QB did not have the same importance (as a position or as an automatic team leader) back than as it does today

Where do you think that "importance" started? 

and the MVP doesnt prove hes great Rich Gannon won an MVP.

True, NFL MVP doesn't always equal "great".  You need some championship hardware (4 rings, anyone?) and Super Bowl MVP awards (back to back helps) to help bolster your reputation and legacy.  Rich Gannon's stats are conspicuously absent of either those two things which, I believe, separates Terry Bradshaw from him by a pretty great distance.

C.S. Lewis

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 03:05:05 PM »

Yes, is he ever.

Really?

He's with a new team, they aren't familiar with his skills nor is he familiar with theirs. They are 1-2 and 2nd in their division.  And already you are bitchin'. If this was the end of the season or next year and the Broncos were suckin' pond water, then you would be justified in bitching.

But to say that Peyton is "overrated" already?

Too soon to make a judgement.

Oh, and yes, I AM a Peyton Manning fan.  :-)

I will agree that Heath was overrated. He got lucky here at UT, but wasn't up to the pro caliber needed to succeed.

Doesn't hold water to Ben's record. Manning has too much hype following him.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 03:42:19 PM »

You have got to be joking right????

There are only two (2) QB's that have won back to back MVP's in the Super Bowl. Bart Starr and Bradshaw. Bradshaw is the ONLY QB that has won back to back Super Bowls TWICE (2) in the HISTORY of the game in 1974-75 and 78-79. A feat that will never be repeated IMO.

I know these events are way before your time but I actually watched Bradshaw play many of these games. So, I do not have to rely on replays or some numbnut reporter or newsprint. He was a great player and was certainly not overrated.  .

Offline BigTex

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 03:54:41 PM »
Where do you think that "importance" started?

Not with Bradshaw, he threw 212 TDs and 210 INTs, that would be no where near acceptable for a "great" QB today.

True, NFL MVP doesn't always equal "great".  You need some championship hardware (4 rings, anyone?) and Super Bowl MVP awards (back to back helps) to help bolster your reputation and legacy.  Rich Gannon's stats are conspicuously absent of either those two things which, I believe, separates Terry Bradshaw from him by a pretty great distance.

Gannon didnt have a team of HOFers to carry him to the SBs like Bradshaw did. Im not saying Gannon is better than Bradshaw or that Bradshaw wasnt a good QB but hes not the GOAT you think he is. Here is exactly what I mean by overrated, the NFL network ranked Bradshaw the 50th best player of all-time, the "fans" ranked him 22nd. I think Bradshaw is a lot closer to the 50th best player than the 22nd. Therefore I think he is overrated.

Offline BigTex

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 03:56:36 PM »
You have got to be joking right????

There are only two (2) QB's that have won back to back MVP's in the Super Bowl. Bart Starr and Bradshaw. Bradshaw is the ONLY QB that has won back to back Super Bowls TWICE (2) in the HISTORY of the game in 1974-75 and 78-79. A feat that will never be repeated IMO.

I know these events are way before your time but I actually watched Bradshaw play many of these games. So, I do not have to rely on replays or some numbnut reporter or newsprint. He was a great player and was certainly not overrated.  .

So the best QBs of all time are Starr and Bradshaw?

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 03:59:53 PM »
The best QB of all time sure as heck isn't Manning. He isn't even close to being the best.

Offline BigTex

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 04:03:04 PM »
The best QB of all time sure as heck isn't Manning. He isn't even close to being the best.

Were would you rank him? would he make the top 10?

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 04:04:12 PM »
Were would you rank him? would he make the top 10?

Nope. Maybe the top 20.

Offline BigTex

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 04:05:14 PM »
Nope. Maybe the top 20.

Really you think there have been 20 better QBs than Manning? Id love to see that list

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2012, 04:18:08 PM »
Really you think there have been 20 better QBs than Manning? Id love to see that list

Top 5:

1) Joe Montanna
2) John Elway
3) Dan Marino
4) Steve Young
5) Tom Brady

Honorable mention: (Still better than Manning)

In no particular order

Terry Bradshaw
Kurt Warner
Warren Moon
Jim Kelly
Troy Aikman
Brett Favre

Offline BigTex

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2012, 04:26:31 PM »
Top 5:

1) Joe Montanna
2) John Elway
3) Dan Marino
4) Steve Young
5) Tom Brady

Honorable mention: (Still better than Manning)

In no particular order

Terry Bradshaw
Kurt Warner
Warren Moon
Jim Kelly
Troy Aikman
Brett Favre

No Unitas? and Theres no way any of your honorable mentions other than Favre is better then Manning

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2012, 04:40:02 PM »
No Unitas? and Theres no way any of your honorable mentions other than Favre is better then Manning

I forgot about Unitas. You can also add Bob Griese, Roman Gabriel, Norm Van Brocklin, Sonny Jurgensen, and Y.A Tittle in there as well they are/were all better than Manning.

My point is that Manning has way too much hype, when you look at all the greats before him. He doesn't compare. The only reason why he is getting so much press and ass kissing is because he is a major cash cow for the NFL. If he wasn't breing so much money in for them, they wouldn't even look at him.

And looking at he some of the greats from the past. They weren't paid nearly as much as the players are today. Back then it was for the love of the game. Today is for the money. A person getting an NFL contract is like winning the lottery. Of course most of them end up going broke because they have no sense of management or responsibility.

Offline BigTex

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2012, 04:56:36 PM »
I forgot about Unitas. You can also add Bob Griese, Roman Gabriel, Norm Van Brocklin, Sonny Jurgensen, and Y.A Tittle in there as well they are/were all better than Manning.

My point is that Manning has way too much hype, when you look at all the greats before him. He doesn't compare. The only reason why he is getting so much press and ass kissing is because he is a major cash cow for the NFL. If he wasn't breing so much money in for them, they wouldn't even look at him.

Thats laughable, he compares favorably to most the greats before him. Hes got 4 MVPs, 5 all-pro's, 11 pro bowls, 3rd all time in Yards, TDs and completions, 2nd all time in game winning drives., 4th all-time in wins as a starting QB (he will be 2nd by the end of the year). Even as a big cowboy fan I know hes better than Aikman and Staubach