Author Topic: New England Patriots 2012 Season Thread  (Read 24129 times)

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
Re: New England Patriots 2012 Season Thread
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2012, 03:55:44 PM »
Joe Montana is 4-0 in Superbowls as is Terry Bradshaw. Last I checked, Brady is 3-2. I'd hold your talk about Brady being "greatest". Peyton Manning has better numbers than Tom Brady. A Superbowl isn't a singular award.
Every one you mentioned is either HOF, or will be first ballot HOF. That said It'd be hard to beat Joe Montana, although his replacement Steve Young was no slouch.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2012, 05:28:56 PM »
I'd like to buy you son a beer, or two, or three!!!!!  :cheersmate:

I'm an Ole Miss fan and have followed Eli for over a decade. I made the Giants my 2nd team after he arrived there but Ole Miss and the Giants seem to have had a connection with one another dating back to the Chuck Conerly days. I'm a Saints fan first though.

The Pats seem to also love our little running backs.

BTW, that means 3 championships were quarterbacked by 2 Ole Miss QBs.  :-)

He knows his Giants and he likes beer. We think Eli will be a HOF quarterback.
Think we stole Steve Weatherford from The Saints? He has been sending em. Think he won the contest last night.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
Joe Montana is 4-0 in Superbowls as is Terry Bradshaw. Last I checked, Brady is 3-2. I'd hold your talk about Brady being "greatest". Peyton Manning has better numbers than Tom Brady. A Superbowl isn't a singular award.

:rofl:

Joe Montana had Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott, Deon Sanders....   All pro tight end.  All pro wide receiver.  HOF tight end.  HOF wide receiver.   HOF running back.   GREAT, amazingly fantastic players.

Terry Bradshaw had Franco Harris - an extremely powerful running game, and Lynn Swann. 

Brady had who again?   That's right.   

Next.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2012, 05:46:43 PM »
Sorry I had to let my son respond to your Eli hatred. Here it is. Hold on!

The "what if" this and "what if" that mentality spreads like wildfire. If Steve Smith doesn't drop a pass early in the game, resulting in an interception, the Giants go in for a score then and don't need the miraculous comeback, led by their now two-time Super Bowl MVP. If David Tyree, who saves himself at a later point on his helmet catch, doesn't run the wrong route on that final drive, your "what if" scenario doesn't happen either.

Playing the "what if" card is really pointless when it comes to these kind of debates. What if a UFO hovered over the stadium and anally probed Tom Brady? What if Bill Belichick hadn't been caught cheating and was filming the Giants' practices the week prior?

The focus is on what was. And in Super Bowl XLII, what was, was Eli Manning leading his team down the field in crunch time, connecting with Plaxico Burress for the game-winning score ... defeating the then undefeated New England Patriots.

Bottom line? That's cold hard facts, baby. And nothing that can be disputed.

Moving on, in Super Bowl XLVI, Eli did outplay Peyton in comparison to his previous Super Bowl appearance. Moreover, I'm not saying Eli is a better player than Peyton historically, but I am saying he's a more clutch quarterback than Peyton ... and the numbers back that up.

First, let's take a look at the 2001 regular season and the numbers.

On 88.5% of his dropbacks (minimum 100 dropbacks), Manning escaped pressure - giving him the highest escape rate in the NFL.

Eli was under pressure 220 times, more than any other QB in the league by 15 pressures. He led the NFL in completion percentage under those pressures.

And the records set by Eli in 2011? Where to begin?
Most 4th quarter touchdowns in a single season (15) in NFL history. Most passing yards in a single postseason (1,219) in NFL history. Most road playoff wins (7) in NFL history. And the 6th most passing yards (4,933) in a single season in NFL history.

The last one, by the way, is more yards than Peyton has ever thrown for.

Finally, Super Bowl XLVI and MVP #2.

Manning starts the games with the most completions (9) in NFL history, and ends the day 30 of 40 for no turnovers.

Oh, and lest we not forget that throw to Mario Manningham on the last drive. Words can't do it justice...just watch the tape. It is one of the greatest throws by any quarterback in recent memory.

So, really? Koolaid? Someone is drinking something, but it's not Koolaid. It's bitter hateraid.

Easy-E is the most dominating clutch quarterback in NFL history and under pressure, and that's not just because I say so ... it's because the numbers say so.
Change 2001 to 2011. That was a typo
And here's a correction to this section:

Manning starts the games with the most consecutive completions (9) in NFL history, and ends the day 30 of 40 with no turnovers.
Chat Conversation End

:sad1:

Ok, just kidding ---  :rofl:

OMG, my sides hurt.   Hateraid.   Good stuff, and good times. 

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2012, 05:48:51 PM »
And I know this is gonna be spun by FL, but here goes:

How'd that pillow fight--whoops, GAME--last night go?  And don't tell me it doesn't count because it's preseason, or that most of the starters sat out, etc....

Giants played their starters, Pats play no one but scrubs (ALL of their starters sat out).   

Spinning a preseason game?   that's just sad Sparky.    tsk. tsk.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2012, 05:21:16 AM »
FL I don't know what kind of writers they have here as I don't read it but you might like it? If you log in once in a while you would be helping my boy reach his goal of being in the 1%!

Patriots101

"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2012, 03:15:08 PM »
:rofl:

Joe Montana had Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott, Deon Sanders....   All pro tight end.  All pro wide receiver.  HOF tight end.  HOF wide receiver.   HOF running back.   GREAT, amazingly fantastic players.

Terry Bradshaw had Franco Harris - an extremely powerful running game, and Lynn Swann. 

Brady had who again?   That's right.   

Next.

Randy Moss, Deion Branch (Super Bowl MVP, IIRC), Wes Welker, Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Corey Dillon, Troy Brown, and of course, let's not forget about Adam Vinateri...m'kay?

And you call yourself a Patriots fan?  Seriously?

Next.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2012, 03:28:06 PM »
Randy Moss, Deion Branch (Super Bowl MVP, IIRC), Wes Welker, Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Corey Dillon, Troy Brown, and of course, let's not forget about Adam Vinateri...m'kay?

And you call yourself a Patriots fan?  Seriously?

Next.

Oh I see.   Aside from Randy Moss who is one of the best, and Vinateri, these players are the equivalent of HOF players mentioned BUT Brady ain't Montana or Bradshaw (and FYI - I have never heard ANYONE ever say Bradshaw is better than Brady before, but whatever).

Jerry Rice is the best wide receiver who ever played the game.   Seriously?  and you call yourself an NFL fan?

Next.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2012, 03:30:17 PM »
FL I don't know what kind of writers they have here as I don't read it but you might like it? If you log in once in a while you would be helping my boy reach his goal of being in the 1%!

Patriots101

? I don't understand.  Is this his blog?

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2012, 03:33:06 PM »

Jerry Rice ain't got nada nothin' on Deion Branch baby.   Word.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2012, 03:34:39 PM »
[dream sequence] Tom Brady has Steel Curtain and Jerry Rice.... 8 superbowls, 8 undefeated seasons.....[/dream sequence]

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2012, 03:41:01 PM »
Oh I see.   Aside from Randy Moss who is one of the best, and Vinateri, these players are the equivalent of HOF players mentioned BUT Brady ain't Montana or Bradshaw (and FYI - I have never heard ANYONE ever say Bradshaw is better than Brady before, but whatever).

Jerry Rice is the best wide receiver who ever played the game.   Seriously?  and you call yourself an NFL fan?

Next.

You're trying to bullshit us into believing the Tom Brady is the only reason the Pats have three rings, and as such, should be immediately canonized for his saintly abilities.

And I'll say it.  Bradshaw WAS better than Brady.  Brady isn't even the best quarterback in the AFC.  He MAY have had more success, but when you drop back and chuck it 40 times a game (actually only a slight exaggeration--Brady's career average is 33.0 attempts per game) because you have zip point shit for running backs (with the exception of Dillon who was on the tail end of his career) and "gonna go veh-ti-cah" like some East Coast version of that dead crusty bastard Al Davis, then yeah, he's good, even HOF material, but by no means is he the best quarterback ever, and I'll go so far as to say he isn't even the best quarterback of his era.

Next.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2012, 03:56:20 PM »
You're trying to bullshit us into believing the Tom Brady is the only reason the Pats have three rings, and as such, should be immediately canonized for his saintly abilities.

And I'll say it.  Bradshaw WAS better than Brady.  Brady isn't even the best quarterback in the AFC.  He MAY have had more success, but when you drop back and chuck it 40 times a game (actually only a slight exaggeration--Brady's career average is 33.0 attempts per game) because you have zip point shit for running backs (with the exception of Dillon who was on the tail end of his career) and "gonna go veh-ti-cah" like some East Coast version of that dead crusty bastard Al Davis, then yeah, he's good, even HOF material, but by no means is he the best quarterback ever, and I'll go so far as to say he isn't even the best quarterback of his era.

Next.

Jeez, if Brady has to drop back and throw the ball 40 times a game because he has no RBs then of course he is no where near as good as Bradshaw who had a HOF, SB MVP RB Franco Harris... of course, of course.... I see that ****ed up twisted logic now!!!

Now that you put it that way....  :whatever:

Brady is HOF.   Besides Vinateri, you are going to have to point out the HOF players on those Pats teams.   Pats defense = steel curtain?   Oh yeah, ab-so-freakin-lutely.    

Pats win without Brady?  no, and HELL no.   I love those Pats teams, but I deal in the world of reality.   You not so much it appears.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2012, 03:58:34 PM »
Brady's offensive line deserves HOF status.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2012, 04:10:11 PM »
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2012, 04:17:35 PM »
Trivia - Who was Montana's backup?  Young.   Montana goes down, do they win?  

I report, you decide.  

As for Tommy, a little NFL history:

Posted: February 2, 2004
Super Bowl XXXVIII MVP: Tom Brady
SuperBowl.com wire reports

HOUSTON (Feb. 1, 2004) -- Two late, winning Super Bowl drives in three seasons. Two Super Bowl MVP awards in three seasons.

Can there be any doubt now that Tom Brady is one of the great quarterbacks in NFL history?

I don't think so.

Great quarterbacks give their best performances in the biggest games, and that was exactly what Brady did. Twice. In Super Bowl XXXVI, he marched the Patriots to the winning points against the St. Louis Rams. In Super Bowl XXXVIII, he marched the Patriots to the winning points against the Carolina Panthers.

Think about how incredible that is. It's the sort of stuff that has elevated players to Pro Football Hall of Fame status. And the kid is only 26 years old.

Yet, once again, Brady was so cool and so poised beyond his years. He was everything a top-notch, championship-level quarterback needs to be.

You could base that opinion on Brady's numbers alone: 32 completions in 48 attempts for 354 yards and three touchdowns. The 32 completions broke a Super Bowl record that Jim Kelly had set at 31 in Super Bowl XXVIII against Dallas.

But Brady's excellence went well beyond numbers. For the second time in three Super Bowls, he came through in the most pressure-filled of situations one can face in football -- or in any sport for that matter.

For one thing, he did not lose his cool after suffering an interception in the end zone that allowed the Panthers to make a stunning, 90-yard scoring march that gave them their first lead of the game -- 22-21 -- with 6:53 left in the fourth quarter.

For another, when the Patriots got a huge break when John Kasay sent a kickoff out of bounds that started them on their 40 with 1:08 remaining, he just tossed completion after completion against one of the NFL's best defenses. The 37-yard drive put them in position to score their 15th consecutive victory, which Adam Vinatieri delivered with his winning 41-yard field goal.

"Who would you rather have running a two-minute drive than Tom Brady?" Patriots offensive coordinator Charlie Weis said. "I'll take him 10 times out of 10 times."

Me, too.

Brady took some big hits, but never went down, giving the Patriots zero sacks for the postseason. He threw touchdowns to a pair of wide receivers, Deion Branch and David Givens, and to linebacker Mike Vrabel. He played like a champion and celebrated like a champion, giving credit, as usual, to everyone but himself.

"To win this, the way we did it, is just incredible," Brady said. "Just a great, all-around game."

But Brady deserves all of the credit he can get. He can be mentioned in the same sentence as some of the all-time greats, including his boyhood idol, Joe Montana.

And give credit to Panthers quarterback Jake Delhomme, who also passed for 300 yards. In fact, it was only the second time in Super Bowl history both quarterbacks amassed 300 yards. The first time was Montana and Dan Marino in Super Bowl XIX.

Conventional wisdom suggested this game would be dominated by defense, and in the beginning it was. When the Patriots scored the game's first touchdown, with 3:05 left in the second quarter, it marked the latest first score in Super Bowl history.

After the first quarter, Delhomme had completed 1 of 6 passes for 1 yard. After five series, the Panthers had zero net yards of total offense. After the game's first 20 plays, the Panthers had minus-7 yards in total offense.

But just when it seemed as if the Patriots had built an impenetrable wall in front of Carolina, Delhomme got hot. The Patriots ended up allowing three offensive touchdowns of 33 or more yards, including an 85-yard touchdown pass from Delhomme to Muhsin Muhammad that was the longest play from scrimmage in Super Bowl history.

Then Brady got a little hotter. And with the Super Bowl on the line for the second time in three years, he gave the Patriots the clutch work they needed.

"Tom's going to be mentioned with the better quarterbacks playing now and in the past," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said. "You can't deny his production. He's a winner. He does what he needs to do to help the team win, and he does it as well as anybody."

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/history/mvp/sbxxxviii

Another clutch performance by Tom Brady appeared worthy of a third MVP award for the quarterback, but voters may have been swayed by the weight of history. Branch led all receivers with 11 receptions for 133 yards. His 11th catch in the third quarter tied him with Jerry Rice and Dan Ross for the most receptions in a single Super Bowl. It also gave him a combined 21 receptions in two Super Bowls, setting another record.

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/history/mvp/sbxxxix

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2012, 04:18:25 PM »
Right now, Deion Branch ain't got shit.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000056962/article/deion-branch-brian-hoyer-cut-by-new-england-patriots

Branch is NOT, and never has been, in the same league as Jerry Rice.   

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2012, 04:20:02 PM »
Brady's offensive line deserves HOF status.

Light, Mankins.  

The change over has been tremendous.   I love all those guys don't get me wrong.   However you have to give Brady his due.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2012, 05:32:15 PM »
? I don't understand.  Is this his blog?

He is COO of sportsmedia101.com  He started his blog Giants101.com and is franchising the 101.com name and managing the writers of the others. Something like that? You know the brains skip a generation and he's the smart one! He is working very hard trying to make it big. They have some investors looking now. also if anyone fancy's their self a sportswriter and their team don't have a 101 blog yet its open.

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2012, 05:56:09 PM »
He is COO of sportsmedia101.com  He started his blog Giants101.com and is franchising the 101.com name and managing the writers of the others. Something like that? You know the brains skip a generation and he's the smart one! He is working very hard trying to make it big. They have some investors looking now. also if anyone fancy's their self a sportswriter and their team don't have a 101 blog yet its open.

Ah ok.   Good for him!

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2012, 06:23:52 PM »
And how did they do without Brady in 2008, pray tell?

11-5, IIRC?

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2012, 06:25:11 PM »
And how did they do without Brady in 2008, pray tell?

11-5, IIRC?

Dude, they didn't even make the playoffs.   

Next.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2012, 06:28:41 PM »
I will say while Josh McDaniels was a fail as a head coach, he is a great QB coach - as evidenced with what he was able to do with Cassel.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2012, 06:30:57 PM »
Dude, they didn't even make the playoffs.   

Next.

On the SECOND tiebreaker.  And again, whose fault is that?

Of course, you conveniently forget that the following year they finish 10-6, but make the playoffs.  Seems to me they also finished 10-6 in 2005 and made the playoffs then...oh, who was it they lost to, who could that have possibly been???

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2012, 06:31:53 PM »
I will say while Josh McDaniels was a fail as a head coach, he is a great QB coach - as evidenced with what he was able to do with Cassel.

Seems to me Cassel did better still in KC--IIRC, he didn't make the Pro Bowl as a member of the Pats.