Author Topic: Mike Piazza Retires after 16 seasons  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Mike Piazza Retires after 16 seasons
« on: May 20, 2008, 04:55:23 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3405188

Mike Piazza is retiring from baseball following a 16-season career in which he became one of the top-hitting catchers in history.

"After discussing my options with my wife, family and agent, I felt it was time to start a new chapter in my life," he said in a statement released Tuesday by his agent, Dan Lozano. "It has been an amazing journey ... So today, I walk away with no regrets.

"I knew this day was coming and over the last two years, I started to make my peace with it. I gave it my all and left everything on the field," he said.

The 39-year-old Piazza batted .275 with eight homers and 44 RBIs as a designated hitter for Oakland last season, became a free agent and did not re-sign. He was not available to discuss his decision, according to Josh Goldberg, a spokesman for Lozano.

Taken by the Los Angeles Dodgers in the 62nd round of the 1988 amateur draft, Piazza became a 12-time All-Star, making the NL team 10 consecutive times starting in 1993.

"He was one of those hitters who could change the game with one swing. He was certainly the greatest-hitting catcher of our time and arguably of all-time," said Atlanta pitcher Tom Glavine, Piazza's former teammate on the New York Mets.

Piazza finished with a .308 career average, 427 home runs and 1,335 RBIs for the Dodgers (1992-98), Florida Marlins (1998), Mets (1998-05), San Diego Padres (2006) and Oakland Athletics (2007).

"It's the end of a Hall of Fame career," Mets manager Willie Randolph said. "It was a privilege to manage him for the short time that I did."

Piazza's 396 homers are easily the most as a catcher, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. Carlton Fisk is second with 351, followed by Johnny Bench (327) and Yogi Berra (306).

See you in Cooperstown, Mike. :cheersmate:
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: Mike Piazza Retires after 16 seasons
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 05:40:37 PM »

he had a great career.  and I still haven't forgiven the dodgers for trading him.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 06:46:31 PM »
I'd be surprised of he doesn't have some sort of degenerative cartilage problem in his knees before it's all said and done. He was a damn-good 2-tool hitter though.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 05:34:47 PM »
He also could call a pretty good game for his pitchers.  He wasn't as aggressive in his pitch calling as, say, Paul LoDuca or Brian Schneider, but he could call a good game.

There's a thread on MetsBlog that concerns SNY possibly hiring Piazza as an analyist.  I agree with that.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 02:32:20 PM »
hard to believe he's been around that long...

adios mike...

you were a good one !!