Author Topic: Another question about my new computer  (Read 2803 times)

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Another question about my new computer
« on: February 08, 2012, 06:13:20 PM »
The computer is running awesome, it didn't run this good when my Aunt had it and she was using Vista, but since we did an install of Windows XP it's been amazing, runs like a brand new computer. Just curious though, I set the computer to go into sleep mode if it isn't used for 30 minutes but for some weird reason it stays on all the time. It's not that big of a deal because I can just shut the computer down when I go to work or go out, but I'm just curious as to why it doesn't go into sleep mode.

Thanks!
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
Re: Another question about my new computer
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 06:22:13 PM »
I'm far from an expert on XP, but somewhere in Control Panel should be a utility related to "Power Options", which may allow you to set a clock on how long the computer sits unused before sleep mode cuts in.......in your case, the default may be set to "never".....set it to wherever you want, and see if that fixes it.

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 06:28:22 PM »
Just went to look, under Power Options this is what it's set to:

Power Schemes:

Set to Home/Office Desk

Setting for Home Office Desk Power Schemes:

Turn off Monitor after 30 minutes

Turn off Hard Disk-Never
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 07:00:06 PM »
I have XP at home and Windows 7 Enterprise at work. 

Control Panel > Power Settings.  There are various presets you can choose from.  The Portable/Laptop default is one hour, but you can customize them.

I would recommend turning off hibernation with XP.  It's unreliable.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 07:11:19 PM »
Chris it's a desktop, so I should set the Turn Off Hard Disk to 30 minutes also? will that shut the computer off though? or will it go into sleep mode?

Offline Rugnuts

• (not a carpet layer)
  • (ಠ ›ಠ)
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 07:15:02 PM »
you can set it to sleep at 30 mins
dont bother with the "turn off monitor" or "turn off hard disk"

after you do the change, go to "start", "power" and select "Restart"

sometimes changes dont take effect until you reboot.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 07:27:35 PM »
That's the problem though, I have the display set to go into sleep mode after 30 minutes yet it doesn't.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 07:30:12 PM »
That's the problem though, I have the display set to go into sleep mode after 30 minutes yet it doesn't.
You need a new computer. :-)

Your monitor might not be set for power standby mode.  Or you can try to reboot.

I have no idea what's up with the Windows 7 laptops we have at work, but rebooting cures a multitude of sins.  Got a problem?  Reboot.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 02:22:19 AM »
I have XP at home and Windows 7 Enterprise at work. 

Control Panel > Power Settings.  There are various presets you can choose from.  The Portable/Laptop default is one hour, but you can customize them.

I would recommend turning off hibernation with XP.  It's unreliable.

I had a HUGE problem with my PCs running XP and sleep mode. I NEVER turn off the hard disks on ANY of my computers, EVER!! The reason why is I would always have to reboot them after they got into sleep mode. Certain video cards/ onboard video also gave me problems with XP. The PC wouldn't wake up the monitor after it went to sleep.  That said, I LOVE Windows 7!!  Everything works as advertised, so far!! If the PC could handle Vista, I would urge you to migrate to Windows 7!! The migration is pretty easy, although you will have to find drivers, etc for a few things and reinstall programs. I NEVER recommend doing an "upgrade"!! A clean, fresh install is by far the best way to go. It WILL save anything on the existing OS under C:\windows.old, including documents.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson