Author Topic: A Tim Tebow question  (Read 14706 times)

Offline ChuckJ

A Tim Tebow question
« on: November 23, 2011, 03:14:18 PM »
As a Georgian I was naturally not a big Tebow fan when he was at Florida. Since he's been in the NFL I've been kind of on the fence. After reading yet another sports reporter essentially putting him down I checked his stats against Michael Vick's stats when he came into the NFL. When you compare their first year stats it looks like Tebow's stats are actually better than Vick's. So why was their reception into the NFL so different?

I remember Vick's first few years in the NFL. He was viewed by most as the greatest thing on earth from the time he first set foot on an NFL field until the dog fighting deal. Tebow, on the other hand, has been ridiculed by most since he first took the field in the NFL.

When I say "by most" I'm talking about the sports press and the NFL alleged powers-that-be.

I'm not saying the Tebow is an NFL great. He's still far from it. I just wonder why there's a complete separation in regards to how the two players are viewed.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline catsmtrods

Re: A Tim Tebow question
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 03:45:19 PM »
It's that he is a devout Christian. They ridicule him for thanking Jesus for his success. If he were a criminal he'd be the greatest thing since sliced bread.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 06:12:52 PM »
It's that he is a devout Christian. They ridicule him for thanking Jesus for his success. If he were a criminal he'd be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I guess the way he chooses to celebrate is not to their liking. These detractors would rather see players jump up and down like a caged monkey. These same liberal jerks have not criticized Albert Pujols when he points to the sky after scoring or getting a hit.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 06:16:10 PM »
I guess the way he chooses to celebrate is not to their liking. These detractors would rather see players jump up and down like a caged monkey. These same liberal jerks have not criticized Albert Pujols when he points to the sky after scoring or getting a hit.

Don't bet on that.  If they knew he was conservative, they might.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 11:28:25 AM »
As a Georgian I was naturally not a big Tebow fan when he was at Florida. Since he's been in the NFL I've been kind of on the fence. After reading yet another sports reporter essentially putting him down I checked his stats against Michael Vick's stats when he came into the NFL. When you compare their first year stats it looks like Tebow's stats are actually better than Vick's. So why was their reception into the NFL so different?

I remember Vick's first few years in the NFL. He was viewed by most as the greatest thing on earth from the time he first set foot on an NFL field until the dog fighting deal. Tebow, on the other hand, has been ridiculed by most since he first took the field in the NFL.

When I say "by most" I'm talking about the sports press and the NFL alleged powers-that-be.

I'm not saying the Tebow is an NFL great. He's still far from it. I just wonder why there's a complete separation in regards to how the two players are viewed.

Vick is a pro-style QB that can run. Tebow is a half-back playing QB that performs poorly in the pocket. When he's successful, it's normally from the shotgun and that's unorthodox in the NFL. However, if anyone can make it work, it'll be Tebow.

Also, Vick has a helluva arm on him. Tebow, as big as he is, just doesn't have the arm strength to accurately throw the ball pass 30 yards.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 11:31:09 AM by Rebel »
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 11:36:12 AM »
Vick is a pro-style QB that can run. Tebow is a half-back playing QB that performs poorly in the pocket. When he's successful, it's normally from the shotgun.

I can agree with that, but I remember Vick first few years in Atlanta. I think when comparing Vick's first couple of years to Tebow's first couple of years it would be more accurate to say that Vick was (remember I'm talking about his start in the NFL) a pro-style QB that could run but didn't pass very well. Tebow is a half-back playing QB who can't pass very well.

In essence, their first couple of years were/are very similar. Both could run. Neither had much success throwing. So I'm still left wondering why the two received such different receptions from the press. As a matter of fact, I think if you compare losing the ball (int & fumbles) Tebow actually has better stats than Vick had in his first couple of Atlanta years.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 11:43:01 AM »
I can agree with that, but I remember Vick first few years in Atlanta. I think when comparing Vick's first couple of years to Tebow's first couple of years it would be more accurate to say that Vick was (remember I'm talking about his start in the NFL) a pro-style QB that could run but didn't pass very well. Tebow is a half-back playing QB who can't pass very well.

In essence, their first couple of years were/are very similar. Both could run. Neither had much success throwing. So I'm still left wondering why the two received such different receptions from the press. As a matter of fact, I think if you compare losing the ball (int & fumbles) Tebow actually has better stats than Vick had in his first couple of Atlanta years.

He took Atlanta to the playoffs a few years as well when Atlanta wasn't known as a typical good team, like my Saints. Last time was with the Crystal Chandelier and an 80 year old backup. Then again, it could have something to do with the media wanting to shed the notion that the QB position is a white person's position. If that's the case, they need to saddle their wagons to Scam. I didn't think he was that good but, after watching him at Carolina, he's damn good, even though they haven't been that successful.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 06:08:48 PM »
He took Atlanta to the playoffs a few years as well when Atlanta wasn't known as a typical good team, like my Saints. Last time was with the Crystal Chandelier and an 80 year old backup. Then again, it could have something to do with the media wanting to shed the notion that the QB position is a white person's position. If that's the case, they need to saddle their wagons to Scam. I didn't think he was that good but, after watching him at Carolina, he's damn good, even though they haven't been that successful.

Newton has impressed me also. He's doing MUCH better than I figured he would. My wife can't stand him. She says he seems too arrogant to her.
With Vick, I never really liked him in Atlanta. I never viewed him as a passer. I was actually surprised last year with his performance in Philly.

I just think if I had to pick between Vick of 2001/2002 or Tebow that I'd pick Tebow every time simply because he seems to be more of a team player. I do honestly wonder if his race has played a role in the hard time he's getting since a white heterosexual Christian male seems to be the bane of the politically correct world.

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 07:47:57 PM »
I've personally seen very little detracters from this "Messiah" and a hell of a lot of praise. Way more than there should be for this running back. I say that, because he's like another NFL player I knew:

http://www.nfl.com/player/kordellstewart/2503142/profile

His overall rating should read about the same when he's done in the NFL too. Oh noooo though, he insists he's a QB. Instead of actually doing something in the running game, he insists he's a field general. I heartily disagree. Eric Decker, and Co. make him look good. The game a couple weeks ago was MaGahee's through, and through. Had a 100+ ground game with two TDs. The reason I hate him is because he supposedly "wins" when the game is on the line, they're down at the goal line, and he squeaks one itty bitty TD in from like...the two yard line. BULL!

He's going to be either nothing special, or someone like Ray Lewis, or DeMarcus Ware is going to end his career. Period.

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
I've personally seen very little detracters from this "Messiah" and a hell of a lot of praise. Way more than there should be for this running back. I say that, because he's like another NFL player I knew:

http://www.nfl.com/player/kordellstewart/2503142/profile

His overall rating should read about the same when he's done in the NFL too. Oh noooo though, he insists he's a QB. Instead of actually doing something in the running game, he insists he's a field general. I heartily disagree. Eric Decker, and Co. make him look good. The game a couple weeks ago was MaGahee's through, and through. Had a 100+ ground game with two TDs. The reason I hate him is because he supposedly "wins" when the game is on the line, they're down at the goal line, and he squeaks one itty bitty TD in from like...the two yard line. BULL!

He's going to be either nothing special, or someone like Ray Lewis, or DeMarcus Ware is going to end his career. Period.

You don't understand Tebow. He's a natural competitor that will NEVER give up. He's also a born leader. I'm not a Tebow fanatic, but the guy wins. It's what he does. The other guys you talked about will give up when they're down. Tebow doesn't give up. Period. When he lost to my Rebels he said he wouldn't lose another game. He didn't lose another game. His style is unorthodox as hell, but he gets the job done, either by his RB's, TE's, and WR's, or by himself. It's hard to stop a 6'3", 240 LB QB when he decides to run. ...and he's not a fatass. That 240 pounds is all muscle. I've seen him run THROUGH a Florida State defensive back.

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 08:44:50 PM »
No, no, no, he's no JaMarcus Russell by any means. I just don't like him, don't think he's fit for the position he plays, and there's no changing my mind on this one.  :tongue:

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 11:35:15 PM »
No, no, no, he's no JaMarcus Russell by any means. I just don't like him, don't think he's fit for the position he plays, and there's no changing my mind on this one.  :tongue:

Thank goodness he is no J. Russell who was a dud at QB for the Raiders. The fans and the Denver players like him and that is what counts.....not some atheist or some yo yo sports writer. As far as being fit for the position, the owner and the coaches will determine that, not you.   

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 12:09:19 AM »
Hey, I'm just a football fan. I determine who makes the cut, and who doesn't in my own mind. That's all.

I have a feeling though that Elway is going to be disappointed in the long run.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 08:28:29 AM »
Rev, I don't think that Elway's going to be disappointed.  As has been stated by a lot of us in this thread, all Tebow does is win.  It may not be pretty, or flashy, but wins by being pretty or flashy count just as much as wins by plowing ahead and breaking through the obstacles.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 02:12:46 PM »
Tis true, and I'm not disputing that. I just don't like the guy. Everyone has someone that rubs them the wrong way. Tebow has since I watched him off, and on before he got drafted.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 10:15:55 AM »
Tis true, and I'm not disputing that. I just don't like the guy. Everyone has someone that rubs them the wrong way. Tebow has since I watched him off, and on before he got drafted.

And now he's 5-1. :???: :thatsright: :fuelfire:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 10:43:58 AM »
The Broncos make the playoffs and Tebow irritates Revolution for another week.  :lmao:
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 02:35:49 PM »
The Broncos make the playoffs and Tebow irritates Revolution for another week.  :lmao:

H5   :cheersmate: :lmao: :yahoo:

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 07:52:59 PM »
And now he's 5-1. :???: :thatsright: :fuelfire:

****!

The Broncos make the playoffs and Tebow irritates Revolution for another week

I like the Broncos, but I just can't bring myself to like Tebow. (except when he says "Thank you to my Lord, and Savior Jesus Christ" and gets all the media people all wee wee'd up. That's awesome) They may make the playoffs, but I feel that's unlikely.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 03:21:26 PM »
...and then he was 6-1.

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2011, 09:47:04 PM »

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2011, 10:34:31 AM »
Denver and Tebow has made a believer out of a bunch of folks. The kid is getting better every game and lest not forget he is a rookie. They will make the playoffs; Tebow instills confidence and he is a winner.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2011, 12:14:50 PM »
He had a QB rating of 149.3 yesterday. How sick is that when the highest you can go is 158.3? Didn't get to watch the game here in the Augusta market, but he was making some damn good passes looking at the replays.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13200/tim-tebow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passer_rating

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2011, 01:49:13 PM »
All he does is . . . just win.

Chase her.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2011, 01:52:53 PM »
All he does is . . . just win.

Wait until he loses, which is all but guaranteed to happen at least once or twice. All the Tebow haters will come out in droves screaming, "See! I told you he sucked!"