Author Topic: UGH UGH UGH Help! Please!  (Read 3336 times)

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
UGH UGH UGH Help! Please!
« on: November 03, 2011, 07:49:28 PM »
My main computer where I do billing for our business has an issue again.

This happened a few months ago and it somehow fixed itself, and now it's happening again.

This is my FIL's computer, and I think it's running XPSP3.

I turn the computer on, intel e comes up and F10 and F2, then it goes to a page where it's stuck, it says

SATA Channel 1 Master Disk LBA ATA 100 80GB
underneath that it says
SATA Channel 1 Master Disk HDD S.M.A.R.T. capability....Disabled

and it's stuck there.

When this happened the last time I thought I pressed F11 to get to recovery mode where it would count down and then I was able to get in.

Any idea what the problem is or how to fix it?

I have my billing info backed up, but I need the main computer because the copier is hooked up to it.

Thanks!

"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline DLR Pyro

Re: UGH UGH UGH Help! Please!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 08:00:20 PM »
S.M.A.R.T is a system that monitors your hard drive and (hopefully) lets you know in advance of an upcoming failure.  Looks like it is turned off in your BIOS setting.  Try pressing F10 and see you can find the setting in BIOS for this and enable it.  Another cause might be that your drive has totally failed and will not boot past the BIOS screen.  If this is an HP computer, you should find a diagnostic feature in the storage area that allows you to do self test on the drive to see if it is good or has failed.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 08:13:26 PM »
OK I enabled HDD SMART Capability, rebooting now, damn it didn't work. BTW it's an e-machine.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 08:39:54 PM »
Oh jeez, I lost my temper and right before the page where it got stuck I starting banging the F11 key and it took me to System Recovery?

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 08:47:31 PM »
Damn! it didn't work, when it asked me to restart Windows it got stuck again. :banghead:

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 10:39:47 PM »
do you have a recovery CD?

Police lives matter.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 10:53:34 PM »
do you have a recovery CD?

Nope, no disks. I let it sit for about a half hour, turned it on and it went into recovery mode then rebooted and got stuck again. This really sucks, it's going to be a nightmare to transfer my billing to my Husbands old slow computer because I'm going to have to re-install the drives for the printer and his damn computer is slow enough as it is already. I'll let it sit overnight and if it doesn't work tomorrow I'll have to call a computer tech we use and see if he can do anything. No idea why computer problems bring out my temper, I'm ready to fling this thing out the window!

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 12:59:01 AM »
If you can't get to the OS, I would attempt to boot to a rescue disc.  Windows Recovery doesn't always work and I wouldn't recommend it.  If you have another computer, go to hirens.info and download and burn a copy of Hiren's Boot Disc.  It will let you load Windows XP and recover your data files from your hard disk.

That is the easiest way I can recommend recovering a lost hard drive.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 02:06:31 AM »
I think those e-machines come with the recovery facilities on a partition on the HDD.

If you can set the recovery software off there should be two options - Normal Recovery and Full Recovery.

I'd run through the Full recovery - this should return the machine to the condition it was in when it came out of the box , rather than attempting to do an inplace repair preserving the content of the drive.

You did mention you have backups ... because this will return the machine to factory condition and you'll lose anything you've ever installed or created.

If that doesn't fix the problem - go into the BIOS with F2 or F8 or whatever it is on that machine and hunt through the options until you can do a test on the disk through SMART.  If that comes up with errors it's time for a new drive.

Offline Janice

• This election is about paychecks v. food stamps
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 05:52:19 AM »
There is also another way you might be able to fix it as it could be a corrupt file system or boot files. If you have a Windows XP disk. You boot off the disk and go into the recovery console and fix it from there. Its sort of like DOS. Ive done this a thousand times. Do you have a Windows XP OS disk? Can you boot from the cd? I can walk you through it if you do and help you repair both issues if you wanna try and save the hdd and the data on it. Otherwise the "recovery" as DLR suggested might be the best alternative.
Reagan bankrupted the Soviet Empire ...

Obama is bankrupting the American Republic

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 07:40:45 AM »
Thanks guys, when I get home later I'll try all your suggestions.

LC, the computer when it eventually comes on should be back to what it was when my FIL 1st bought the computer, I was able to get through 2 steps when I was banging F11 and was able to get into it somehow, but now it's stuck in SATA again.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 09:42:04 AM »
Nope, no disks. I let it sit for about a half hour, turned it on and it went into recovery mode then rebooted and got stuck again. This really sucks, it's going to be a nightmare to transfer my billing to my Husbands old slow computer because I'm going to have to re-install the drives for the printer and his damn computer is slow enough as it is already. I'll let it sit overnight and if it doesn't work tomorrow I'll have to call a computer tech we use and see if he can do anything. No idea why computer problems bring out my temper, I'm ready to fling this thing out the window!
If your Husband's computer has a SATA interface, you can try to connect the drive from the eMachine to it as a secondary drive (I would say slave drive, but that would be offensive to some...), and boot his computer off his primary drive,  Then see if you can access your secondary drive to repair any errors, or at the very least, facilitate transferring any files from the eMachines drive to your Husband's computer.

Police lives matter.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 10:19:40 AM »
See if you can get it to start in safe mode and if it will, do a defrag.

Go to My Computer, right click on the hard drive, at the bottom of that window choose Properties then Tools and then Error Checking. Run the error check. If it will do that then try Defrag, it's in the same window.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 10:27:34 AM by Wineslob »
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 11:16:53 AM »
No way to get to Safe Mode. I called a guy who had fixed a laptop for me a few months ago, I brought it over to his house and he's going to totally do a fresh install, I told him that was fine because the only thing worth saving is my client billing info but I have that backed up on a CD so it's not a big deal, he's also going to download the drivers for the printer, and it should be about $40 total so that's not bad at all.

Thanks for your help, it's appreciated.