Author Topic: Seattle cuts Alexander  (Read 3463 times)

Offline john c calhoun

Seattle cuts Alexander
« on: April 23, 2008, 08:56:26 AM »
2005 MVP is  now a free agent  ....http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d807e8d82&template=with-video&confirm=true

sean alexander gets released by the seahawks...

good fits for alexander ??? .... san diego, DALLAS, KC, Saints ?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 08:57:58 AM by john c calhoun »

Offline ReardenSteel

Re: Seattle cuts Alexander
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 12:01:12 PM »
http://sea.scout.com/2/748707.html
Alexander released the following statement later in the day: We received the news from the Seahawks’ front office today that I have been released. While it really isn’t a surprise, this news marks a major transition in my life. I started my NFL career in Seattle and hoped I could remain with the team through the rest of my days as a player. That said, things change.
I will be playing for another NFL team this fall, and doing everything I can to contribute. I am healthy, energized and looking forward to beginning the next chapter of my NFL career.

I want to thank the Seahawks and Coach Holmgren for all they have done for me and my family over the years. I have nothing but respect and affection for the Seahawks staff, my teammates and the organization. I wish them the best.

I especially want to thank the Seahawks fans. You made me feel proud every time I stepped on the field as a Seahawk. I look forward to hopefully returning to Qwest Field one day to play against the Seahawks, and the daunting task of facing the 12th Man —Seahawks fans are among the best.

Finally, Valerie and I want everyone to know that Seattle is home for us, and it will remain so no matter where I play next. We have made far too many wonderful friends to say goodbye. My family will remain in the Seattle area, and when my days in the NFL do eventually come to an end, I plan to retire here. Our hearts are woven into the fabric of this community, we are blessed to be part of it, and we enjoy contributing to it in every way we can.

Thank you, Seattle. You have become a part of me and you will forever remain in my heart

All class.   :cheersmate:

I'd have liked to have seen him stay under a scaled down (way down) contract but he says he is healthy now and I don't think the o-line improvements are done yet. This seems to be the best move for all though. Thank you Shaun! Godspeed.

(fwiw, I see him landing in Detroit, Cleveland or Cincy in addition to the possible fits you mention JCC) The Browns can afford him even at an inflated price and Cincinnati is closest to "home" for Alexander. All of the above have the need for someone. My guess is that unless someone really believes he still has it, he gets picked up shortly after the draft to a team who missed on "their" rookie RB.

Thanks again "Alex the Great". See you in the "Ring of Honor" back home in Seattle in a few years.
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 12:51:38 PM »
http://sea.scout.com/2/748707.html
Alexander released the following statement later in the day: We received the news from the Seahawks’ front office today that I have been released. While it really isn’t a surprise, this news marks a major transition in my life. I started my NFL career in Seattle and hoped I could remain with the team through the rest of my days as a player. That said, things change.
I will be playing for another NFL team this fall, and doing everything I can to contribute. I am healthy, energized and looking forward to beginning the next chapter of my NFL career.

I want to thank the Seahawks and Coach Holmgren for all they have done for me and my family over the years. I have nothing but respect and affection for the Seahawks staff, my teammates and the organization. I wish them the best.

I especially want to thank the Seahawks fans. You made me feel proud every time I stepped on the field as a Seahawk. I look forward to hopefully returning to Qwest Field one day to play against the Seahawks, and the daunting task of facing the 12th Man —Seahawks fans are among the best.

Finally, Valerie and I want everyone to know that Seattle is home for us, and it will remain so no matter where I play next. We have made far too many wonderful friends to say goodbye. My family will remain in the Seattle area, and when my days in the NFL do eventually come to an end, I plan to retire here. Our hearts are woven into the fabric of this community, we are blessed to be part of it, and we enjoy contributing to it in every way we can.

Thank you, Seattle. You have become a part of me and you will forever remain in my heart

All class.   :cheersmate:

I'd have liked to have seen him stay under a scaled down (way down) contract but he says he is healthy now and I don't think the o-line improvements are done yet. This seems to be the best move for all though. Thank you Shaun! Godspeed.

(fwiw, I see him landing in Detroit, Cleveland or Cincy in addition to the possible fits you mention JCC) The Browns can afford him even at an inflated price and Cincinnati is closest to "home" for Alexander. All of the above have the need for someone. My guess is that unless someone really believes he still has it, he gets picked up shortly after the draft to a team who missed on "their" rookie RB.

Thanks again "Alex the Great". See you in the "Ring of Honor" back home in Seattle in a few years.

thats just it...

alexander ain't got it & guys like bill parcels never thought he had it ...(& JCC)

yeah, he was great behind one of THE greatest blockers to have ever blocked...but he's purely an open field runner ...so who's gonna give him an open field ??? ....

cleveland?? ... yeah, thats a REAL possibility ...

detroit won't...he'll die up there....

cincy ....he'll die there too...

dallas & san diego , along w/ cleveland would be 'best for shaun' ....

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 12:59:06 PM »
2005 MVP is  now a free agent  ....http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d807e8d82&template=with-video&confirm=true

I don't think Alexander's a good fit in Dallas.  He's too old and he's not the right complement to Barber.  We need a speedster.
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 01:04:13 PM »

I don't think Alexander's a good fit in Dallas.  He's too old and he's not the right complement to Barber.  We need a speedster.

alexander  is still fast... his problem is needing BIG HOLES & lots of green to run around...

he's not really that old either... alot of HoF backs would still have 3-4 years left in them if they were in alexanders shoes...

problem w/ alexander, is that he's SOFT ...always has been

that eliminates him changing his style to smashmouth  like corey dillon did when he got old  ...

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 01:13:15 PM »

alexander  is still fast... his problem is needing BIG HOLES & lots of green to run around...

he's not really that old either... alot of HoF backs would still have 3-4 years left in them if they were in alexanders shoes...

that eliminates him changing his style to smashmouth  like corey dillon did when he got old  ...

I think that the Cowboys will focus on picking up an RB this weekend.  I just don't see Alexander as a possibility.
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 01:24:17 PM »

I think that the Cowboys will focus on picking up an RB this weekend.  I just don't see Alexander as a possibility.

if I were JJ, I'd prolly consider taking alexander for one of my 1st or 2nd  rounders.... w/ alexander, you know what you're getting & w/ dallas's offense, you know alexander will have some room to run & he CAN take it to the house....

remember who JJ just traded Jones to as well  ...  ...

still doesn't mean JJ doesn't take a rookie RB like stewart or mendenhall if available.... (more north /south runners than either Barber or Alexander)

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 01:35:26 PM »

Yup. Dallas has two first rounders for gosh sakes.

Alexander is not that soft. The first year without Hutch he was on pace for 1400 yards counting the two games he played on a broken foot before he got taken off the field for 6 games. The next year the o-line took another step backwards and with multiple injuries Shaun's game really went to Hell. (he switches the ball often between hands and uses a weak stiff arm to spin out of tackles and/or fall forwards... impossible to do with a cast on, never mind zero blocking)

He could be productive in Cleveland or San Diego. Maybe in Tenn or GB too. 
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 01:36:39 PM »

if I were JJ, I'd prolly consider taking alexander for one of my 1st or 2nd  rounders.... w/ alexander, you know what you're getting & w/ dallas's offense, you know alexander will have some room to run & he CAN take it to the house....

still doesn't mean JJ doesn't take a rookie RB like stewart or mendenhall if available.... (more north /south runners than either Barber or Alexander)

unless you're the Raiders, there is such a thing as having too many RBs.  I just don't see how they could possibly fit Barber, Alexander, and another high pick into the offense.

BTW, JJ didn't trade Julius.  He let him go as a free agent.

Martin Luther

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 02:10:10 PM »

unless you're the Raiders, there is such a thing as having too many RBs.  I just don't see how they could possibly fit Barber, Alexander, and another high pick into the offense.

BTW, JJ didn't trade Julius.  He let him go as a free agent.

the superbowl champions had 3 bonfified 'starting' running backs... (jacobs, ward, bradshaw)

the runners up had 3  as well (maroney, morris & faulk)

if you plan on really being committed to running the ball & you want your starters to rEALLY work hard, you need to have at least two, but looks like 3 bonified running backs these days...

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 02:35:45 PM »

unless you're the Raiders, there is such a thing as having too many RBs.  I just don't see how they could possibly fit Barber, Alexander, and another high pick into the offense.

the superbowl champions had 3 bonfified 'starting' running backs... (jacobs, ward, bradshaw)

if you plan on really being committed to running the ball & you want your starters to rEALLY work hard, you need to have at least two, but looks like 3 bonified running backs these days...

Some good points there and RB is a "need" in Dallas for sure. Still, I think the Cowboys could do just as well grabbing an RB with one of their first round picks and maybe with a 3rd rounder too. (good backs will go in round three this year)

Outside of RB and O-line though, this draft is really weak. I bet we will see plenty of trades as a result of how slim the pickings are at WR, QB, etc...

- Ayn Rand

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 02:38:33 PM »

Some good points there and RB is a "need" in Dallas for sure. Still, I think the Cowboys could do just as well grabbing an RB with one of their first round picks and maybe with a 3rd rounder too. (good backs will go in round three this year)

Outside of RB and O-line though, this draft is really weak. I bet we will see plenty of trades as a result of how slim the pickings are at WR, QB, etc...

don't forget about 4 reggie whites in the rough (dorsey, long, gholston, ellis)

the cowboys will draft a running back to run & another to play special teams or both...

I still wouldn't be surprised if alexander shows up down there on a peasants salary & 1 year contract...

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 02:56:36 PM »
In response to Rearden's last post, I do think that the Cowboys might draft two RBs this year, but the second on would be in the fifth round or later.

Martin Luther

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 03:02:40 PM »

don't forget about 4 reggie whites in the rough (dorsey, long, gholston, ellis)

the cowboys will draft a running back to run & another to play special teams or both...

I still wouldn't be surprised if alexander shows up down there on a peasants salary & 1 year contract...

I'm not sure if Alexander is too old and to used to winning to only want to be on a team with a shot (Boys/Bolts) or what. That kind of thinking could lead him Dallas way, if they will have him. Or it's off to a Lions type team to "take the money and not run" in a manner of speaking.

I'm not sure there are any Reggie's in waiting in this draft and my main man (and Buckeye) Ghoston, sadly, could dissapear into the black hole of Oakland in a turn of bad draft luck. 
 :thatsright:

- Ayn Rand