Author Topic: ARGH! Winblows 7 is crapping out on me!  (Read 3222 times)

Offline thelaughingman

ARGH! Winblows 7 is crapping out on me!
« on: June 18, 2011, 02:03:15 PM »
It started out with being unable to launch Internet Exploder (and I can't reinstall it because I have to uninstall it first and it doesn't show up on the uninstall programs list) and now I'm getting "ordinal" errors at start up and when I try to use Winblows Live email.  How do I fix this?

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: ARGH! Winblows 7 is crapping out on me!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 02:05:03 PM »
IE is not listed under the Add/Remove Programs list... it's under Windows Components.  Turn it off and reboot your computer and it will uninstall.  You'll have to go back to Add/Remove Windows Components (on the Add/Remove Programs menu) and re-add IE and do another reboot for it to show up again.

If that doesn't fix it, you might try loading the Last Known Good configuration from the F8 menu at startup, running a program like CCleaner, or a partial system restore (OS only).  I'm not that familiar with the Windows 7 system restore feature since the Lenovos we use at work have their own backup utility.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 02:11:29 PM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »
W7 can be restored from "Start", "All Programs", "Accessories", "System Tools", and then "System Restore". All of this can be accomplished right from the GUI. It DOES sound like you've picked up a "bug". I'd also  boot windows into Safe mode w/ networking, (F8) before windows starts to load and run Malwarebytes in the safe mode. You WILL need to be connected to the internet via an ethernet cable because wireless won't work in Safe Mode.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 03:01:16 PM by Thor »
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
Hey, thanks!  Some real answers for once.  I will try those.

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 09:06:49 AM »
Okay, I ended up installing some updates that the computer was suggesting and everything is working fine now.  I'm not sure what all that was about.