Author Topic: Need some help.  (Read 4628 times)

Offline ardentconservative

• Just Off Probation
Need some help.
« on: June 28, 2010, 04:56:30 PM »
The other day I wasn't watching what I was doing and I download something from Microsoft that was called Window's Geniune *******.  That's all of the name I saw before it finished downloading and the screen disappeared.  It was something to do with authenticating the Window's O/S that I was using. 

The O/S I am using is on a new computer I just bought so I am not worried about that but I just don't want any program on my computer that is snooping.

I checked the HD and the Desktop and could not find anything with a name that was like what is stated above.

Does anyone know how to find this program and get it off of the computer.  If it is not on the HD or the Desktop, where could it be hiding.

Any help would be apprecited.

Offline thundley4

Re: Need some help.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 05:08:02 PM »
You might try doing a "System Restore" to a point before you downloaded it.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 05:13:16 PM »
You have downloaded the "Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool" - Check the windows updates listed in control panel / Addremove software / Windows updates section.

It's designed to ensure your copy of windows is correctly licensed and is  something you need to have installed to get updates from microsoft so I'd suggest leaving it in there unless you have a really good reason not to keep it.

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 05:46:31 PM »
  unless you have a really good reason not to keep it.

Well, I don't have anything to hide unless the business I bought the computer from installed a pirated version, which I doubt since they gave me a Windows XP Professional recovery disc with the computer.  

But Windows Update Section does not show up when I open the Add/Delete in Control Panel.  I was getting updates before I downloaded the program and don't want it on my computer. Could you tell me another way to access the Windows Update Section.  Thanks.  

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 04:37:38 PM »
As has been stated here, the "Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool" has been around since about 2005. It is used to validate that your copy of Windows operating system is legit. It is mandatory and if you are not running it at its latest iteration and successful validation level against your OS, you will be disallowed downloading OS patches and security updates. As an extra added bonus, additional "nag" pop-up screens will be added and the OS will shut down AFTER a short period of time.

Of course there are work arounds to this insidious bastard for XP, VISTA, and Windows 7.

Bit Torrent if properly applied may help...

Have an  attorney read the Microsoft EULA to you if you have time. It basically states that if you use *ANY* Microsoft product, you MUST do as they say or Microsoft can kill kittens in YOUR name as a result.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 04:40:49 PM by PatriotGame »
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 12:31:25 PM »
I just can't imagine ANYBODY running a "pirated" version of ANY Micro$oft product.......  :uhsure:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 05:48:49 PM »
I just can't imagine ANYBODY running a "pirated" version of ANY Micro$oft product.......  :uhsure:

Me either Thor, me either :whistling: .  But I was receiving updates before I downloaded the program, and had no problems accessing Microsoft.  Oh, well, I will stumble on this program one of these days and will get rid of it.  Thanks anyways guys.

Now for another topic. I just finished installing a Belkin PCI UBS card and connected my new printer.  A Kodak that scans black and white and color, scans pictures and prints them, has slots for camera cards, and is a color printer.  I really like this printer.  The ink is about 4 times cheaper than HP's and I can print more copies before ording refils.  I have four computer in my home.  One in my wifes sewing room is a Dell with Windows XP and a Canon printer.  Two in our computer room, one with Vista :bawl: :puke: and one with XP, bothwith an HP printer.  The Canon and HP ink cartridges are expensive, and the Kodak is not.  Love this printer.  :heart: :heart:

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 06:24:24 PM »
Windows 7 is a definite improvement over Vista. Hell, for that matter, so is XP !!  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: You may want to consider investigating some of the torrent sites on that issue  ;)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 07:16:09 PM »
Windows 7 is a definite improvement over Vista. Hell, for that matter, so is XP !!  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: You may want to consider investigating some of the torrent sites on that issue  ;)

Thor, IMO, any Windows O/S is better than Vista.  I have used Windows 95, 98, 98SE, XP Home and Professional, and Vista.  IMO,  Vista is a piece of junk, period. 

I am thinking of upgrading to Windows 7, but haven't heard enough about 7 to know if I want to go to the trouble or not.  I logged onto Microsoft.Com one time on my Acer that is running Vista to find some drivers for a computer I was trying to get back online and a window automatically opened asking if I would like to see if my computer was ready for 7.  I almost ran the progam to see.  I really think that it ought to be criminal for MS to put out something as bad as Vista.  That's my opinion.

Not sure how to do the torrent thing, but I will investigate

Offline thundley4

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 07:59:42 PM »
I have used Windows 95, 98, 98SE, XP Home and Professional, and Vista.  IMO,  Vista is a piece of junk, period. 

I noticed that Windows ME is missing from that list.  Vista is better than ME, but not by much.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 10:33:38 PM »
Windows 7 is pretty decent. The bigger problems is that many older programs have to be run in compatibility mode, if they even work at all. The nag screens (approval to run a program) are somewhat annoying. However, they are a safeguard to malware and viruses. Turning off the "approval" nags would kind of defeat their whole purpose, but that could be done.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 10:55:42 PM »
Turning off the user permission prompts was one of the first things I did with Vista, and Windows 7.

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 08:41:12 AM »
I noticed that Windows ME is missing from that list.  Vista is better than ME, but not by much.

thundley, never used ME but if it is worse than Vista, it was a bad O/S.  The only thing that I can say good about Vista is that it will boot up when you turn the computer on. 

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 08:48:19 AM »
Windows 7 is pretty decent. The bigger problems is that many older programs have to be run in compatibility mode, if they even work at all. The nag screens (approval to run a program) are somewhat annoying. However, they are a safeguard to malware and viruses. Turning off the "approval" nags would kind of defeat their whole purpose, but that could be done.

Ok, is upgrading to 7 that hard, or complicated.  I have only changed the O/S on a computer once an that was to go from 95 to 98SE on a computer I had in the late 90's.  But I had an install disk and it pretty much did all the work for me.  Also, then there wasn't all the hassle of conflicts between O/S's and manufacture's installed programs.

When I updated, via Microsoft update, on the Acer with Vista from SP1 to SP2 the computer almost quit working it was so slow.  And I mean slow.  I contacted Microsoft and they walked me through the problem which was some Acer programs that was in conflict with SP2.  When those programs were disabled the computer worked correctly again.  What would be the possibility of 7 having that problem if I were to upgrade from 7 from Vista.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 08:56:34 AM »
Back up any important files or programs, insert the W7 install DVD and run it. It's pretty much plug & play. There might be some device drivers that you'll need to install. In general, they are available on the internet, if you know what you're looking for. I would definitely recommend running the compatibility check before installing W7. I would also grab a copy of Belarc Advisor, (the free download), download it, run it, and print out the results before doing anything, too.

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 09:49:22 PM »
Back up any important files or programs, insert the W7 install DVD and run it. It's pretty much plug & play. There might be some device drivers that you'll need to install. In general, they are available on the internet, if you know what you're looking for. I would definitely recommend running the compatibility check before installing W7. I would also grab a copy of Belarc Advisor, (the free download), download it, run it, and print out the results before doing anything, too.

Ok, thanks Thor.

Now, I know that for you computer heads this is going to sound like a stupid question.  But here goes.  I have 8 sticks of SIMM memory.  I know 4 of them are EDO, and I think I have 2 pegged as 8 MB.  My question, is there any reason to hold on to the SIMM memory, or should I just toss them.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 10:20:31 PM »
Ok, thanks Thor.

Now, I know that for you computer heads this is going to sound like a stupid question.  But here goes.  I have 8 sticks of SIMM memory.  I know 4 of them are EDO, and I think I have 2 pegged as 8 MB.  My question, is there any reason to hold on to the SIMM memory, or should I just toss them.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I think that SIMMs went out before 2000........ You COULD try to sell them on eBay (some folks collect that old stuff)  or do like I do with my defective RAM, use them as Christmas tree decorations.

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 03:31:32 PM »

Thor, I will be using Microsoft's free download from their site, I assume that the free download will work the same as an install disk.

Thanks for the info on the SIMM memory,I knew that they quit using it in desk top computers in the late 90; just wondered if there was any use left for it,  now I am embarrassed, everyone laughing at me.  :thatsright: :thatsright: :tongue: :tongue: :rotf: :rotf:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 03:35:30 PM by ardentconservative »

Offline thundley4

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 06:21:08 PM »
Thor, I will be using Microsoft's free download from their site, I assume that the free download will work the same as an install disk.

Thanks for the info on the SIMM memory,I knew that they quit using it in desk top computers in the late 90; just wondered if there was any use left for it,  now I am embarrassed, everyone laughing at me.  :thatsright: :thatsright: :tongue: :tongue: :rotf: :rotf:

When you do the download, make sure you save it to a CD/DVD.

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 08:06:39 PM »
When you do the download, make sure you save it to a CD/DVD.

Thanks, thundley.