Author Topic: Twins player hits mother in stands with foul ball  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Twins player hits mother in stands with foul ball
« on: March 31, 2010, 02:56:55 PM »
Minnesota Twins outfielder Denard Span hit a foul ball that struck his mother in the chest in the first inning of Wednesday's spring training game against the New York Yankees.

Wanda Wilson was wearing a Span jersey and sitting with about 20 family members and friends near the third-base dugout. Span, batting leadoff, took a defensive swing against Yankees starter Phil Hughes in the first inning and hit a liner right at her in the box seats.

A stunned Span sprinted from the batters' box to the stands and stayed with his mother while paramedics treated her. The split-squad game was delayed for a few minutes as she was taken to first aid, and the Twins said she was sore but OK.

Span returned to the plate with the count 3-2 and struck out looking on the next pitch. The Twins originally said Span would leave the game, but his mother was sitting in a different seat by the bottom of the first inning and he went to center field.

She was treated by paramedics and back in the stands minutes later, but eventually went to a hospital after being convinced by medical personnel at the stadium.

Span flied out in the second inning, then left in the bottom of the third, telling a team official he wasn't mentally into the game. Span and his mother spent time together after he departed.

LINK
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
Re: Twins player hits mother in stands with foul ball
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 03:15:02 PM »
Can you image the odds against that?

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Twins OF Span hits his own mother with foul ball
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 04:56:23 PM »
His mother is alright, and that's the important thing.

Twins OF Span hits his own mother with foul ball

Updated Mar 31, 2010 5:23 PM ET

TAMPA, Fla. (AP)

Minnesota Twins leadoff man Denard Span hit a hard foul ball that struck his mom in the chest during Wednesday's game. She was treated by paramedics and back in the stands minutes later.

"My mom is feeling ok right now!" Span later posted on his Twitter account.

Wanda Wilson was wearing a Span jersey and sitting with about 20 family members and friends near the third-base dugout. Span took a defensive swing in the first inning and sent a liner into the low box seats, hitting her near the shoulder.

A stunned Span sprinted into the stands and stayed with his mother while she got treatment. The split-squad game against the New York Yankees was delayed for a few minutes as she walked to first aid, and the Twins said she was sore but OK.

"What're the odds of that happening?" Twins pitching coach Rick Anderson said. "I've never seen it before. It's crazy. I'm standing there right next to it and I heard it and it's just, 'Oh no, that didn't sound good.' She's on the ground and I'm saying, 'Please don't be the head or something' because it sounded so ugly."

I can imagine that Span will get some ribbing for nailing his mom . . .

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Minnesota-Twins-OF-Denard-Span-hits-his-own-mother-with-foul-ball-033110?gt1=39002
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 11:23:18 PM »
Can you imagine the guilt that his mom is going to give him
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 12:09:06 AM »
Can you imagine the guilt that his mom is going to give him

Can you imagine the guilt he already feels without anyone guilting him more?

Thank God she's ok....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.