Author Topic: My flashdrive  (Read 5201 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
My flashdrive
« on: March 03, 2008, 06:46:43 PM »
My laptop, for some reason, has decided to no longer recognize my flash drive, a Sony MicroVault 1 GB.

I always remove it properly, but tonight, it's just not being accepted.   It won't even show that the flashdrive is  there. 

Any ideas? 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

Re: My flashdrive
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 06:48:57 PM »
My laptop, for some reason, has decided to no longer recognize my flash drive, a Sony MicroVault 1 GB.

I always remove it properly, but tonight, it's just not being accepted.   It won't even show that the flashdrive is  there. 

Any ideas? 
Do you have another computer to check it? What OS are you using?

Also try:
1. Booting with flash drive plugged in.
2. Booting with flash drive unplugged, then plug in.
3. Throw flash drive across room while cursing loudly.

Anything on the drive that is important? (I hope not -- flash drives are notoriously unstable).

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 06:57:39 PM »

Any ideas? 

Also try:

Anything on the drive that is important? (I hope not -- flash drives are notoriously unstable).

Nope.  I'm in my apartment, so my laptop is the only computer available.    I have XP. 

At this rate, I am already at #3.    :censored:   (No need for the other two, just because I am too irritated at this point).   

Yes, there are essays and family pictures on it.     I was trying to save the newest essay to it, so I could work on it between classes tomorrow, but now I won't be able to (laptop has no floppy drive, and I don't have any cd's to use either).

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 07:01:55 PM »

Any ideas? 

Also try:

Nope.  I'm in my apartment, so my laptop is the only computer available.    I have XP. 

At this rate, I am already at #3.    :censored:   (No need for the other two, just because I am too irritated at this point).   

Yes, there are essays and family pictures on it.     I was trying to save the newest essay to it, so I could work on it between classes tomorrow, but now I won't be able to (laptop has no floppy drive, and I don't have any cd's to use either).

Take it to class and see if it can be read by your buddies' computers is the next step.  Try 1 and 2 anyway.  I used to know how to remove the USB drivers -- you might have to do that to force the system to dynamically recreate the entries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 07:11:33 PM »
Okay, I did 1 and 2.  Nothing positive to report, so I'll be at the library early in the morning to see how it does with a computer there.   

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 07:41:51 PM »
Okay, I did 1 and 2.  Nothing positive to report, so I'll be at the library early in the morning to see how it does with a computer there.   

Buena Suerte!!

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 09:38:19 AM »
Update: Sony makes terrible products.  That is all.  And I'm not referring to the laptop, either.  :censored:

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 11:34:54 PM »
Update: Sony makes terrible products.  That is all.  And I'm not referring to the laptop, either.  :censored:

Run it through your dishwasher.
At this point it couldn't hurt. I know when I had a hard drive that failed I would place it in the freezer over night. Then try it one more time the next morning to get the data off to another drive. And yes, this worked many times for both myself and friends.

In the interim you can try USBDeview: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Or use Goggle.
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 03:39:07 PM »

Run it through your dishwasher.
At this point it couldn't hurt. I know when I had a hard drive that failed I would place it in the freezer over night. Then try it one more time the next morning to get the data off to another drive. And yes, this worked many times for both myself and friends.

In the interim you can try USBDeview: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Or use Goggle.

I gave up on it and went out to buy a SanDisk.   

Besides, I don't have a dishwasher in this apartment. 

Offline CG6468

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 10:54:59 AM »
I have an older Lexar and a larger capacity 2-year old LG, neither of which ever game me problems.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town