Author Topic: DVI Cable and me  (Read 2309 times)

Offline djones520

DVI Cable and me
« on: October 12, 2009, 04:05:25 PM »
Ok, got a new monitor for the wife from a friend.  Uses a DVI (single I think) cable.  Her vid card has a slot for it.

So, we plug it in, turn the PC on, and the screen is pink but otherwise works.  As soon as she gets into Windows, the screen goes to sleep.  So I think maybe it's registering as a 2nd monitoring and isn't set up to show an image.  I grab my monitor (uses an 15HD cable), plug it in, and nothing.

So I unplug the new one, leave mine plugged in and reboot the machine.  Everything works perfectly.  I then plug the DVI cable back in, and bam MY monitor goes to sleep, and the other one still does nothing.

I'm thoroughly stumped.  Any idea's?
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
Re: DVI Cable and me
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 04:13:51 PM »
What outputs does the video card have - DVI / VGA / HDMI / SVIDEO / Component Video ?

I suspect it's a problem with the (new) monitor being unable to support the current refresh or resolution used by windows.

Check the documentation on the monitor to find out what settings it prefers and set the video card to them.

Offline djones520

Re: DVI Cable and me
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 10:06:28 AM »
Not sure what the issue was...  but I changed the DVI to a VGA cable, and it works just fine.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."