Author Topic: NFL FA begins (Philly grabs Samuel)  (Read 27110 times)

Offline john c calhoun

Re: NFL FA begins (Philly grabs Samuel)
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2008, 09:39:53 AM »

how many of those other mock draft dumbass's are saying the Pats will pick a cornerback ??   :mental:

I say that the chiefs & rams HAVE NO CHOICE in the matter....they HAVE TO take THE BEST Olinemen available in the draft & that looks to be Brandon Albert/Jake Long..... cause as of right now, it doesn't matter who is playing QB for either of those teams, cause their QB's are getting killed by the pash rush ....and BOTH of their  STUD running backs got knocked by injuries last season...which again suggests their PISSPOOR Olines had alot to do with that...

JCC's mock draft: top 7, cause thats all that matters

1. miami - vernon gholston ...(LT / McGuiness /  D Ware type linebacker that will gang rape QB's.......thats parcels style & jason taylor will be gone next year) plus, the Fins are a division rival of the Pats, who until the combine, had gholston locked up...so Parcels can kick the Pats in the balls while also getting prolly THE BEST big defensive athlete in the draft.... a knuckledragger for sure, but, Parcels will be able to help him learn how to play football in the NFL..

2. st louis- jake long  (rams have 100 mil invested into Jackson & Bolger, gotta protect that)

3. atlanta - matt ryan (need Qb, already has decent oline & ryan looks able)

4. raydas - glenn dorsey (raydas have just resigned 3 decent RB's, so unlikely to grab mcfadden....... their Dline got ganged raped last year  & they released sapp & clemmens, so they are in need of DT ..dorsey is THE BEAST o the draft ...

5 chiefs - brandon albert  (chiefs are a running team, last year they couldn't pass or run.... & brandon albert is a bulldozer who can pass & run block) ...plus herm will want to pick a brotha' & this one can actually help their decent QB's have some time to throw ..

6. jets - chris long ( Jets are dealing robinson, therefore are preparring for a new DT...chris long is a 4-3 DE ONLY, but the Jets will make the mistake of drafting him as an OLB to primarily pass rush, then  when that doesn't work out because his lack of lateral speed will get him owned out in the flats on pass coverage/pitchouts, they'll move him to DT, where he will be undersized in a 3-4 defense...stupid jets) ...but maybe howie will convince his son to hold out & avoid the jets like the plague...

7. Pats- cedric ellis ...if other teams are smart (highly unlikely), the best player left will either be cedric ellis or darren mcfadden ... but he lack of power running/pass protection  at the end of last season was evident (which means the Pats could even go mendenhall, who's built like a mack truck) ........or  the pats may just go ryan clady or somebody else they think will be right for them at the Oline ...

so its up in the air for the Pats if JCC's top players all go before the Pats have a chance to grab them ....but, Cedric Ellis could be a real good fit as an OLB/DE  for them....he's kinda undersized already, but very fast & has got a great football mind.....they could have him lose 10-15 lbs or so & have him play the OLB/DE in a 3-4 by the end of this season.... belichick loves to take undersized star  Dlinemen & turn them into LB's...  & remember, Pete Caroll, USC's headcoach who drafted Ellis, used to coach the Pats ....so, there is a link already....

I don't think it's crazy for the Pat's to grab the best CB in the draft. I agree the front seven matters far more and the Giants put the exclamation point on that fact in the SB. NE knows that as well as anyone and knew so well before the Giants game. A great front seven means you can get by with an average CB group. A killer front seven means you can get by with a below average CB group. The problem is, the Pats have a crap CB group right now. They got a lot of nothing.

The RS mock draft: (because thats all I really have to do right now)  :tongue:

1 - MIA - Chris Long, DE
Long did play the 3-4 at Virginia fwiw. (Vernon tore up the combine but Chris put up better numbers on the field and it's not like he blew off his workouts either) This is the safest pick in the draft for a team that desperatly wants out of the number one spot.

2 - STL - Jake Long, OT
Smart move. Top guy on the board and a position of great need for the Rams. Michigan student can learn fron the Buckeye master. (Orlando Pace)

3 - ATL - Glenn Dorsey, DT
Why not? They need everything and Jake is off the board. They have multiple picks in round two and can pull a Cleveland Browns type move. (shoot for Brohm in the bottom of the first/top of the second round)

4 - OAK - Darren McFadden, RB
Yeah it's not the smartest move. Hey! It's not the smartest organization. Raiders are all flash and no go. Lots of talent at o-line later anyway and Al Davis gets what he wants so screw em.

5 - KC - Matt Ryan, QB
They need it. It's not the best class but Ryan sits at the top of it anyway. He will never be Brady or Manning but he could be a Hasselbeck type in a few years.

6 - NYJ - Vernon Gholston, DE/OLB
Won't miss a chance to stick Belichek in the eye with this one. It's a need. They like their Buckeye picks from the last few years. Guy is a stud in a need pos.

7 - NE - Ryan Clady, OT
Elite pass rushers are gone. Pats know how to win and will add a really good guy where it counts. Will not be embarassed again up front on the O-line. Unlike most NFL franchises, the learning curve in NE is sharp. They make adjustments better than anyone. (so hard not to pick a CB just to cheese JCC off)
 :lmao:

#9 - CIN - Sedrick Ellis, DT
Big big need. Solid guy. Will not fall farther than this for sure. Nuff said. (#8 BAL needs a CB, or a QB)

#25 - SEA - James Hardy, WR
Why? Hackett signed a new deal in CAR, Engram is 35 and Branch has ACL issues. TE is a bigger need but I don't grade any of em as round one material this year. Other WR's like Sweed, Kelly and Jackson I assume are gone. (Kentwan Balmer DT and Brenden Albert OG also assumed gone) Hardy is the big and smart target that Hass has missed since Jurevicius was around. (they finish the top three rounds adding a G or OT and TE or DT depending on best player available.

I've got your cheez  :lmao:

there are NO elite cornerbacks in college .... that especially  deserve a first round pick.... thats the rule... reason being, the Pats especially can take a 4th round pick like assante samuel & make him look Elite &/or partially turn him into one... just watch & see how good the Pats 2ndary is this year....between meriweather, harrison, sanders,  hobbs, williams, jackson , ventrone & a 2nd round or up pick in the draft, they will look like allstars thanks to their front 7 gang raping the QB & proper coaching ... (don't forget the new rules for defense helping them  too)

will the iggles & cowboys be dumb enough to blow their first round pick on a CB  ...answer: YES ...& to make matters worse, the iggles already sold their future everything away by paying samuel 60million bucks...

if these mock drafters get anything right, it will be the cowboys & iggles blowing their picks on cornerbacks & /or THE WRONG players....

I'll tell you right now, that felix the cat guy from arkansas will be another reggie bush (minus the fanfare) he's far too scat back to make it in the NFL.... ...if the boys pick felix as their lightning back to compliment barber, they won't be any better off than they were last year as far as rushing....they'd be far better off taking mendenhall or stewart or someone we've never heard of like the giants did so well these past couple years...

on another note....I wouldn't be surprised to see the Raydas take Chris Long & the Jets take Glenn Dorsey.... thats actually a better fit being that chris long is a 4-3 DE & Dorsey  is big enough to handle playing DT in a 3-4 ....god I hope not, cause that would help the Jets D bigtime !!

the Jets ain't taking mcfadden....they just paid all that loot for T Jones & they also just bought Chapman from the Fins.... but I hope you're right & they do take mcfadden over dorsey or long  :naughty:

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2008, 10:25:08 AM »

there are NO elite cornerbacks in college .... that especially  deserve a first round pick.... thats the rule... reason being, the Pats especially can take a 4th round pick like assante samuel & make him look Elite &/or partially turn him into one... just watch & see how good the Pats 2ndary is this year....between meriweather, harrison, sanders,  hobbs, williams, jackson , ventrone & a 2nd round or up pick in the draft, they will look like allstars thanks to their front 7 gang raping the QB & proper coaching ... (don't forget the new rules for defense helping them  too)

will the iggles & cowboys be dumb enough to blow their first round pick on a CB  ...answer: YES ...& to make matters worse, the iggles already sold their future everything away by paying samuel 60million bucks...

if these mock drafters get anything right, it will be the cowboys & iggles blowing their picks on cornerbacks & /or THE WRONG players....

I'll tell you right now, that felix the cat guy from arkansas will be another reggie bush (minus the fanfare) he's far too scat back to make it in the NFL.... ...if the boys pick felix as their lightning back to compliment barber, they won't be any better off than they were last year as far as rushing....they'd be far better off taking mendenhall or stewart or someone we've never heard of like the giants did so well these past couple years...

on another note....I wouldn't be surprised to see the Raydas take Chris Long & the Jets take Glenn Dorsey.... thats actually a better fit being that chris long is a 4-3 DE & Dorsey  is big enough to handle playing DT in a 3-4 ....god I hope not, cause that would help the Jets D bigtime !!

the Jets ain't taking mcfadden....they just paid all that loot for T Jones & they also just bought Chapman from the Fins.... but I hope you're right & they do take mcfadden over dorsey or long  :naughty:

You can hold all yer darn horses there buddy.  :p

- I didn't have the Jets pick McFadden "over" Dorsey or Long. Those cats were gone baby gone in my mock, and so was, btw, McFadden.

- I think Harrison is calling it quits for the Pats and Meriweather is awsome against the run but you can pass on him all day. NE lost two starters back there and that's not so easy to deal with.

- Felix Jones as Reggie part deux would be good for the Boys. Jones is a great return guy (28.21 yards per) and comes at a fraction of the cost that Bush did. Barber will be "the man" still. (and fwiw, Barber was only half of a dynamic duo himself with L. Maroney in Minnesota) + "Thunder" and "lightning" in Dallas would be a lot better on paper than Seattle's "has been" and "never was".  :(

- I agree taking Mendenhall or Stewart are both better options than Felix but do you see them both lasting to #22 and sliding by iffy running teams like HOU, ARI, DET and CHI?

- Every mock has 3-5 CB's going in round one and every recent actual draft has seen the same (or more). Now it does not always work out great but these teams are not letting morons make those calls. (except the Raiders)  :-)

"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2008, 11:01:11 AM »

- I didn't have the Jets pick McFadden "over" Dorsey or Long. Those cats were gone baby gone in my mock, and so was, btw, McFadden.

- I think Harrison is calling it quits for the Pats and Meriweather is awsome against the run but you can pass on him all day. NE lost two starters back there and that's not so easy to deal with.

- Felix Jones as Reggie part deux would be good for the Boys. Jones is a great return guy (28.21 yards per) and comes at a fraction of the cost that Bush did. Barber will be "the man" still. (and fwiw, Barber was only half of a dynamic duo himself with L. Maroney in Minnesota) + "Thunder" and "lightning" in Dallas would be a lot better on paper than Seattle's "has been" and "never was".  :(

- I agree taking Mendenhall or Stewart are both better options than Felix but do you see them both lasting to #22 and sliding by iffy running teams like HOU, ARI, DET and CHI?

- Every mock has 3-5 CB's going in round one and every recent actual draft has seen the same (or more). Now it does not always work out great but these teams are not letting morons make those calls. (except the Raiders)  :-)

and the 49ers, Bears, Lions, Bengals, Iggles,  Vikings, Falcons  etc.etc.etc.  :hyper:

the cowboys already have a good return guy ...but they don't have a solid #2  RB, nor do they have a bonified 3-4 Nose Tackle....what they already have is 2 decent CB's....

by the way, the Pats didn't lose two starting CB's...just one & that was Samuel...both randal gay & eugene wilson were 2nd teamers....& in Wilsons' case, he was in the doghouse  anyway & randal gay was hurt as much as he was healthy...

good riddance...

I think THE reason the giants got as far as they did, was because of Brandon Jacobs BLOCKING ability, more so than rushing... ...will felix jones be able to block a 250lb blitzing LB &/or help block osi, tuck & strahan ?? ...answer ... HELL NO ...

felix jones will be an obviously, one dimensional player & that is a scat back  ...D's will know either he's running the ball & or receiving in the flat... ..

and I'd say the Pats would take the big man from Virginia over Ryan Clady (if he's still around) ..

god help matt ryan in KC if your mock draft comes true ...herm edwards dumbass will ruin his career...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 11:39:22 AM by john c calhoun »

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2008, 12:03:59 PM »

and the 49ers, Bears, Lions, Bengals, Iggles,  Vikings, Falcons  etc.etc.etc.   :hyper:

the cowboys already have a good return guy ...but they don't have a solid #2  RB, nor do they have a bonified 3-4 Nose Tackle....what they already have is 2 decent CB's....

by the way, the Pats didn't lose two starting CB's...just one & that was Samuel...both randal gay & eugene wilson were 2nd teamers....& in Wilsons' case, he was in the doghouse  anyway & randal gay was hurt as much as he was healthy...

good riddance...

I think THE reason the giants got as far as they did, was because of Brandon Jacobs BLOCKING ability, more so than rushing... ...will felix jones be able to block a 250lb blitzing LB &/or help block osi, tuck & strahan ?? ...answer ... HELL NO ...

felix jones will be an obviously, one dimensional player & that is a scat back  ...D's will know either he's running the ball & or receiving in the flat... ..

and I'd say the Pats would take the big man from Virginia over Ryan Clady (if he's still around) ..

god help matt ryan in KC if your mock draft comes true ...herm edwards dumbass will ruin his career...

Heh heh, OK, fair enough but the Vikings are just a QB away and the Bears had it pretty figured out not to long ago and can still get it put back together again. I can't defend the 9ers post Walsh or my beloved bungles at all really. The Lions and Falcons are lost causes though the Eagles seem to be an above average team in a way above average conference.

Now, if your trying to convince me that NE will be great next year, well, I'm convinced. The Phins and Jets are just gosh-awful and the Bills won all of 3 games last year vs teams not named the Phins and/or Jets, lol. The Pats are going to roll again.

RB is nice and deep this year with draft worthy guys but I don't think any of them will block like Brandon Jacobs.

As to our mocks, they probley both get blown up by trades or what not. I humbly sugest though that your mock suffers just a bit more from "if he's still around" disease than mine does.
 :uhsure:
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2008, 12:57:51 PM »

and the 49ers, Bears, Lions, Bengals, Iggles,  Vikings, Falcons  etc.etc.etc.   :hyper:

good riddance...

Heh heh, OK, fair enough but the Vikings are just a QB away and the Bears had it pretty figured out not to long ago and can still get it put back together again. I can't defend the 9ers post Walsh or my beloved bungles at all really. The Lions and Falcons are lost causes though the Eagles seem to be an above average team in a way above average conference.

Now, if your trying to convince me that NE will be great next year, well, I'm convinced. The Phins and Jets are just gosh-awful and the Bills won all of 3 games last year vs teams not named the Phins and/or Jets, lol. The Pats are going to roll again.

RB is nice and deep this year with draft worthy guys but I don't think any of them will block like Brandon Jacobs.

As to our mocks, they probley both get blown up by trades or what not. I humbly sugest though that your mock suffers just a bit more from "if he's still around" disease than mine does.
 :uhsure:

yeah, mine suffers  from 'WTF' syndrome awright :lmao: ....

as to the bills & jets ....you forget the jets were in the playoffs at least 3 times these past 5-6 years & until last year, had been contenders for the past 10 years...

and you watch out for the Bills this year....they have a good QB & their D (cept against the Pats), is pretty darn good considering how many players they lost last season...

and I just laugh when you say the vikings & bares are just a QB away from greatness... :hyper: .... yeah, thats all eh ?? ....its they might as well be missing all other positions too, since finding a QB that can get er done is THE hardest problem to solve ...

many of the best bears players all got drafted by dick jaurons days &/or early during lovies takeover when the bears had like 2 first rounders  & multiple high picks (cause they sucked so bad everyyear) ...

lovies & angelos picks these past two-three years have been monumental blunders (cept for olsen, but once again, that was EASY) ..

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2008, 01:48:53 PM »

as to the bills & jets ....you forget the jets were in the playoffs at least 3 times these past 5-6 years & until last year, had been contenders for the past 10 years...

and you watch out for the Bills this year....they have a good QB & their D (cept against the Pats), is pretty darn good considering how many players they lost last season...

and I just laugh when you say the vikings & bares are just a QB away from greatness... :hyper: .... yeah, thats all eh ?? ....its they might as well be missing all other positions too, since finding a QB that can get er done is THE hardest problem to solve ...

many of the best bears players all got drafted by dick jaurons days &/or early during lovies takeover when the bears had like 2 first rounders  & multiple high picks (cause they sucked so bad everyyear) ...

lovies & angelos picks these past two-three years have been monumental blunders (cept for olsen, but once again, that was EASY) ..

Sure it's hard to find QB's but they do emerge from time to time. (like the Brown's Anderson) (look how long it took old Rich Gannon to figure it out) Just saying. It's not the same as "needing everything else". A team with a great QB and almost nothing else would look like crap. OK, I'll say it... would look like the Bengals.  :(

Yeah the Jets were good. So was Shaun Alexander. "Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place." And I'll believe in the Bills when they win outside the div. and do better than 4-4 at home.

- Ayn Rand

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2008, 02:59:35 PM »

Sure it's hard to find QB's but they do emerge from time to time. (like the Brown's Anderson) (look how long it took old Rich Gannon to figure it out) Just saying. It's not the same as "needing everything else". A team with a great QB and almost nothing else would look like crap. OK, I'll say it... would look like the Bengals.  :(

Yeah the Jets were good. So was Shaun Alexander. "Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place." And I'll believe in the Bills when they win outside the div. and do better than 4-4 at home.

the Bares have had ONE superbowl contending QB since the 1940's.... so I'd say its a bit more than 'a few good qb's floating around' ....its about an organization not knowing how to pick QB's, realizing they are a priority & have been since face masks were added to the game ... & then not knowing how to groom or support them properly....

but this is an interesting development ...

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/story?id=09000d5d807a21bc&template=without-video&confirm=true

Pats just grabbed an excellent LB from the JETS ....victor hobson  :naughty:..... :hyper:

so the likelyhood of the Pats getting gholston now must be slim to none... & it could mean the JETS are making room for gholston ?? ...(cept that they aren't the same position)

so the Pats LB's are looking like this next year:

Vrabel, Bruschi, Thomas, Slaughter, Hobson....definitly more speed & considering Seau was 39, more youth now too :-) ... ....

I'm sticking w/ Sedrick Ellis or Brandon Albert as the Pats pick......

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2008, 05:13:45 PM »

the Bares have had ONE superbowl contending QB since the 1940's.... so I'd say its a bit more than 'a few good qb's floating around' ....its about an organization not knowing how to pick QB's, realizing they are a priority & have been since face masks were added to the game ... & then not knowing how to groom or support them properly....

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/story?id=09000d5d807a21bc&template=without-video&confirm=true

Pats just grabbed an excellent LB from the JETS ....victor hobson  :naughty:..... :hyper:so the likelyhood of the Pats getting gholston now must be slim to none... & it could mean the JETS are making room for gholston ?? ...(cept that they aren't the same position)

Vrabel, Bruschi, Thomas, Slaughter, Hobson....definitly more speed & considering Seau was 39, more youth now too :-) ... ....

Sweet.

John I really like reading your posts here in the NFL thread.

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2008, 08:05:37 PM »
I seriously doubt we'll be taking a cornerback in the first round.  But then, the Eagles never did draft well, so who knows.

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2008, 09:02:21 AM »
I seriously doubt we'll be taking a cornerback in the first round.  But then, the Eagles never did draft well, so who knows.

I would hope not, but, the rumor is they will .,...

still don't know how you guys will stop the run or pressure QB's  w/out blitzing, but thats ok :uhsure:

but I say the iggles will pick a WR w/ their first round pick....

I like the addition of the former Pat/Colt, dan klecko to the iggles roster... he's been hired as a FULLBACK, which the iggles have so desperatly needed for years now....but obviously, he can play DT & special teams

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2008, 09:12:37 AM »

Pats just grabbed an excellent LB from the JETS ....victor hobson  :naughty:..... :hyper:so the likelyhood of the Pats getting gholston now must be slim to none... & it could mean the JETS are making room for gholston ?? ...(cept that they aren't the same position)

Sweet.

John I really like reading your posts here in the NFL thread.

yeah, hobson is a good LB....

and it will be interesting to see what happens draft day....

if the Pats can still grab gholston, their LB core is gonna downright SCARY ....

I'll take gholston, but, my gut is telling me the Fins are gonna grab gholston w/ their #1 pick.... gholston has Parcels written all over him ....

McGuiness, Bruschi,  Demarcus Ware were all Parcels draft picks & Lawrence Taylor was obviously Parcels greatest overall LB (he didn't pick him officially, but, he obviously groomed him once he tookoever headcoach)....

so who of this bunch looks the most like LT, McGuiness, D Ware ??? ....

the clear answer is Vernon Gholston & during every Parcels team rebuilding campaign he either picked a stud Defensive lineman or LB first ...(especially OLB) ...

chris long is a 4-3 DE...Parcels doesn't run a 4-3 ..... & chris long cannot play a 3-4 OLB, he's too slow....

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2008, 11:42:23 AM »
more drama unfolds....

in chicago, but of course...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d807a4430&template=with-video&confirm=true

Urlacher  is skipping workouts & wants contract renegotiated ....

could this mean he wants a trade ?? ...

I hope so, cause I'd love to see him get on a competent team LIKE the PATRIOTS :o ...

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2008, 12:07:29 PM »
more drama unfolds....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d807a4430&template=with-video&confirm=true

I hope so, cause I'd love to see him get on a competent team LIKE the PATRIOTS :o ...
If the Pats wuold've kept the camcorders off the opponents sidelines, it would be a done deal.  That second first round pick would have been nice trade bait.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2008, 12:43:57 PM »
more drama unfolds....

If the Pats wuold've kept the camcorders off the opponents sidelines, it would be a done deal.  That second first round pick would have been nice trade bait.

they still have a 7th overall ....

and depending on who gets grabbed first in the draft, I'd say, it would be worth it for the Pats to trade the 7th overall for Urlacher... (depending on his back too) ...

a Pats LB weakness for sometime has been their  MLB's ability to cover mid to deep passing routes....Bruschi has slowed & Urlacher has MASTERED pass coverage in those big gaps up the middle...

I'm thinking that the money they just dished out to briggs, has sealed urlachers fate...

he wants a ring & he damn well knows it ain't happening in Chicago now....

put it this way, if the Pats can't land a 'sure fire' stud like dorsey, gholston, or long...then the urlacher trade would be well worth it.. .... thats assuming the Pats are gonna pick a defender w/ that 7th overall...

then again, buyer beware if Urlacher is being traded after spinal surgery.....so we'll see :popcorn:

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2008, 03:35:19 PM »
more drama unfolds....

and depending on who gets grabbed first in the draft, I'd say, it would be worth it for the Pats to trade the 7th overall for Urlacher... (depending on his back too) ...

a Pats LB weakness for sometime has been their  MLB's ability to cover mid to deep passing routes....Bruschi has slowed & Urlacher has MASTERED pass coverage in those big gaps up the middle...

I'm thinking that the money they just dished out to briggs, has sealed urlachers fate...

put it this way, if the Pats can't land a 'sure fire' stud like dorsey, gholston, or long...then the urlacher trade would be well worth it.. .... thats assuming the Pats are gonna pick a defender w/ that 7th overall...

then again, buyer beware if Urlacher is being traded after spinal surgery.....so we'll see :popcorn:
If Urlacher is healthy, I don't know that I'd trade him for a 7th overall and a late 2nd.  That don't mean that the Bears wouldn't, though.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2008, 09:27:39 AM »
more drama unfolds....

If Urlacher is healthy, I don't know that I'd trade him for a 7th overall and a late 2nd.  That don't mean that the Bears wouldn't, though.

actually, I think the Bears will trade him...

Briggs is younger & had a much better year than urlacher last year & I think urlachers back is a problem....

also, the Bears are hovering around the salary cap & they don't even have a friggen NFL QB or RB ...

urlacher & now tommy harris know that THIs bears team will never get back to the superbowl & the time for gettin' is NOW......

I think urlacher is tough enough to rehab is back & play for a quality team that supports LB's better than the Bares... (like the Pats 3-4, 2 gap defense that will relieve urlacher of some duties, & gives urlacher 3 more LB's to help, & some REAL MEAT / top notch players on the Dline   ...

urlacher could play 3-5 more years w/ the Pats & win a SB or two....

I hope he gets FAR FAR away from the dumbass Bares organization...

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2008, 08:50:53 AM »
its confirmed, LONG headed to miami.....

wait....Chris Long you say ?? ....

nope, JAKE LONG !!

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d807ac068&template=with-video&confirm=true

the Fins are going over a prelim contract w/ him, but of course, that still doesn't mean they're gonna pick him for sure & he'll agree....

or, Parcels is forcing the Rams or Chiefs to give up something else is a trade for JAKE Long...

I said all along Parcels wouldn't take Chris Long & I still think he'll pick gholston after this whole positioning is said & done...

but wasn't Jumob Elliot a Parcels pick ?

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2008, 12:09:28 PM »
MIA and Jake Long...

yahoo link
The meeting with Condon confirmed the belief among many NFL executives and player agents that the Dolphins will extend contract offers to as many as four players prior to the start of the draft on April 26. That’s far from a new strategy, but it’s nonetheless intriguing because of the subsequent back-door maneuvering as players, agents and teams figure out who will succeed in the cash grab that goes with each pick.

The players that Miami is looking hardest at....

The Dolphins have done extensive work on both Longs, Ryan and LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey. Along with Arkansas running back Darren McFadden

I agree with JCC in some respect. This is just some combo of gamesmanship, due diligence and contract math. The Phin's could save over 10M by picking 4th instead of 1st for example. I would be cool with Miami grabbing Jake Long, if for no other reason than Seattle (and everyone else) can continue to maul the Rams O-line.  :-)

fwiw Jake Long is not as good as last years top tackle Joe Thomas who went at #3 overall to Cleveland. But I think Long will be great and whoever gets him, they will not be sorry.

The countdown continues...   :hyper:
NFL Draft
16 DAYS 02 HRS 49 MIN 44 SEC

- Ayn Rand

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2008, 03:08:03 PM »
MIA and Jake Long...

yahoo link
The meeting with Condon confirmed the belief among many NFL executives and player agents that the Dolphins will extend contract offers to as many as four players prior to the start of the draft on April 26. That’s far from a new strategy, but it’s nonetheless intriguing because of the subsequent back-door maneuvering as players, agents and teams figure out who will succeed in the cash grab that goes with each pick.

The Dolphins have done extensive work on both Longs, Ryan and LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey. Along with Arkansas running back Darren McFadden

I agree with JCC in some respect. This is just some combo of gamesmanship, due diligence and contract math. The Phin's could save over 10M by picking 4th instead of 1st for example. I would be cool with Miami grabbing Jake Long, if for no other reason than Seattle (and everyone else) can continue to maul the Rams O-line.  :-)

fwiw Jake Long is not as good as last years top tackle Joe Thomas who went at #3 overall to Cleveland. But I think Long will be great and whoever gets him, they will not be sorry.

NFL Draft

great points...

and of all the guys parcels could get away w/ paying the least, I'd say it would be gholston ... ...

dorsey doesn't play in a 3-4 currently either & he'd prolly couldn't handle adding 20-30lbs to his frame now & anchor the 3-4....

but Parcels did just bring Fergusson over from the cowboys & he's a pretty stout NT ....he had a bad knee injury last year & I'm guessing thats why the boys let him go so easily.... so the tuna may already have a starting NT in fergusson, then they'd have dorsey lineup at  weakside DT ...

countdown is right....this is real drama this year man !!....so many great players !!...so many teams in need !! :hyper:

also, as to the Pats & a cornerback....  there is a scenario that COULD work for them.... if gholston, both longs, dorsey & albert are all gone, then it COULD be worth it for the Pats to take Cromartie as their 7th round pick...  I didn't realize he has 4.3 speed  :o...

cromartie is faster than his brother & they even say he's a better athlete ....if so, being that the pats coldn't get   the better guys up top, Cromartie would be of great use since he could play in the NFL this season & at least hang w/ any receiver in the league & flatout outrun most of them.... hmmmm
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 03:12:13 PM by john c calhoun »

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2008, 05:17:07 PM »
MIA and Jake Long...

yahoo link

NFL Draft

great points...

and of all the guys parcels could get away w/ paying the least, I'd say it would be gholston ... ...

dorsey doesn't play in a 3-4 currently either & he'd prolly couldn't handle adding 20-30lbs to his frame now & anchor the 3-4....

but Parcels did just bring Fergusson over from the cowboys & he's a pretty stout NT ....he had a bad knee injury last year & I'm guessing thats why the boys let him go so easily.... so the tuna may already have a starting NT in fergusson, then they'd have dorsey lineup at  weakside DT ...

countdown is right....this is real drama this year man !!....so many great players !!...so many teams in need !! :hyper:

also, as to the Pats & a cornerback....  there is a scenario that COULD work for them.... if gholston, both longs, dorsey & albert are all gone, then it COULD be worth it for the Pats to take Cromartie as their 7th round pick...  I didn't realize he has 4.3 speed  :o...

cromartie is faster than his brother & they even say he's a better athlete ....if so, being that the pats coldn't get   the better guys up top, Cromartie would be of great use since he could play in the NFL this season & at least hang w/ any receiver in the league & flatout outrun most of them.... hmmmm

:-)

Hey JCC. Looks like your doing your own due diligence here, lol. We agree about the importance of the front seven but Cromartie is a damn fine pick especially if the guys you mention are gone. (and minus Albert I've long maintained those guys would be gone) It would not be easy to pass on Sedric Ellis or a o-tackle but I agree with you that Cromartie can start right away and that's no small thing.

Miami will be on the road to recovery with Parcels there even when they can't trade down. Heck, they still got like nine draft picks and two in the first round. (If you count the top of "round two" as number 32 ovverall given the Pats forfit) Of course, I still don't know what the heck they are going to do with those picks. LOL

Cool sidenote, now the draft is only 5 DAYS 21 HRS 42 MIN and 22 SEC's away!  :p

- Ayn Rand

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2008, 11:41:44 AM »
MIA and Jake Long...

yahoo link

NFL Draft

great points...

:-)

Hey JCC. Looks like your doing your own due diligence here, lol. We agree about the importance of the front seven but Cromartie is a damn fine pick especially if the guys you mention are gone. (and minus Albert I've long maintained those guys would be gone) It would not be easy to pass on Sedric Ellis or a o-tackle but I agree with you that Cromartie can start right away and that's no small thing.

Miami will be on the road to recovery with Parcels there even when they can't trade down. Heck, they still got like nine draft picks and two in the first round. (If you count the top of "round two" as number 32 ovverall given the Pats forfit) Of course, I still don't know what the heck they are going to do with those picks. LOL

Cool sidenote, now the draft is only 5 DAYS 21 HRS 42 MIN and 22 SEC's away!  :p

if cromartie is ANYTHING like his brother, peyton manning is TOAST for sure !! :lmao:

think about this..

rodney harrison, ty law & now antonio cromartie are THE peyton manning killers..... between the 3 of them, they've picked him off over a 12 times or so....

think about this scenario, ty law getting resigned in NE, & they pick up the rookie cromartie & he's even a fraction of his brother ....

that'd be 3 peyton manning predators on NE at the same time   :naughty: ....

well, we'll see... I think I'd still rather have gholston or dorsey as far as defense goes.... in fact I know it

and remember, there are at least  12 top notch cornerbacks in this draft...the Pats can always pick 1 up in the later rounds (like they did w/ Assante Samuel)

most mock drafts have cromartie 3rd or 4th on the cornerback list, which means he may not be taken until late in the 2nd round....but what do most of these mock drafters know :p
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 02:40:50 PM by john c calhoun »

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2008, 10:51:05 AM »
more BEARS want 'new contracts' (ie:, or want a trade) ...

first B Urlacher, then Tommy Harris, now DEVIN HESTER   ...

ouch...

my advice... RUN DEVIN RUN   :o ...get the hell out of chicago !!...

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2008/04/deion_hester_isnt_happy_with_h.html

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2008, 12:18:20 PM »

ouch...

I wouldn't mind seeing him in ATL.  But I know it won't happen.

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2008, 12:49:15 PM »

ouch...

I wouldn't mind seeing him in ATL.  But I know it won't happen.

the one guy da bears  will not part w/ anytime soon, will be devin hester....

he is their #1 attraction these days & they will keep him until his contract runs out and then franchise that guy   as long as they can...

he's trapped because everyone wants him, but no one can afford him because how do you pay a 'special teams'  player 60 million ?? ...you can't, unless you plan on having B & C players occupying 1/2 the other spots on the team (more important spots as well)...

plus people do not realize how good chicagos special teams are  ....Hester is a remarkable talent, but I dare say he wouldn't have had a fraction of his success playing on most other teams in the league ...(because they have BAD special teams play)...

1/2 the time hester runs the ball back, he's got a convoy of blockers surrounding him....

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2008, 09:54:21 AM »
hey steel...

just read up on Derrick Harvey from florida....

and,  he is more Pats material than I expected ...

of course, not a DE, but, a 3-4 OLB ....

he's only 276 lbs, but he's tall /fast.... & he's a great pass rusher  & excellent overall football player.... they could shave him down  a bit if necessary, but considering A Thomas is 270 lbs, Harvey may not need to lose any weight...

hmmmm :p ....so much to choose from !!