Author Topic: NFL FA begins (Philly grabs Samuel)  (Read 27011 times)

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
Re: NFL FA begins (Philly grabs Samuel)
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2008, 03:02:09 PM »
but hey,

how bout the colts losing their premier guard, klecko & ben utecht ??

I also hear Dwight Freeney may not be coming back &/or won't be 100% because of his injury ?

R Colvin had the same injury last year & he's OUT of  the league now  ...

Colts are going down next year  ...even w/ their EASY schedule, they will lose 5-6 games & either JAX or the Titans will take that division.... (prolly the jags, but their defense took a beating this offseason, so we'll see)
How many years have you been saying that?
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2008, 03:05:54 PM »
Yeah. San Fran F'ed up the value at CB big time.

Trufant was in line for a 9.5M year as Seattle's franchise player before he singed a better deal. Even then he got 10M more than MLB Lofa Tatupu on a year shorter contract. (Tatupu's been to the pro bowl in each of his 3 years while Trufant has been once in four years. And only in his contract year to boot.) That is messed up.

"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2008, 03:10:54 PM »
but hey,

I also hear Dwight Freeney may not be coming back &/or won't be 100% because of his injury ?

Colts are going down next year  ...even w/ their EASY schedule, they will lose 5-6 games & either JAX or the Titans will take that division.... (prolly the jags, but their defense took a beating this offseason, so we'll see)
How many years have you been saying that?

not as long as 'tEh coltbots' who were saying 'this is the colts year' for 7 years straight before it finally happened....

this year, its a done deal....peyton womanning's skills have diminished & their division is strong enough to push them out now..

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2008, 03:19:17 PM »
but hey,

Dunno. There is still the draft and Indy did pretty well sans Harrison last year. I imagine they will be about as good as my Hawks. That is, get to the playoffs and not much else. It will take some convinsing (and much seeing) for me to picture JAX or TEN getting the better of the Colts next year.

on edit:

Gotta go clean up/out to dinner before meeting some folks for basketball night. You guys promise to play mean till I get back.  :-)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 03:22:10 PM by ReardenSteel »
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2008, 03:30:48 PM »
but hey,

Dunno. There is still the draft and Indy did pretty well sans Harrison last year. I imagine they will be about as good as my Hawks. That is, get to the playoffs and not much else. It will take some convinsing (and much seeing) for me to picture JAX or TEN getting the better of the Colts next year.

on edit:

Gotta go clean up/out to dinner before meeting some folks for basketball night. You guys promise to play mean till I get back.  :-)

it won't be Tenn.  Vince Young is not an NFL Quarterback.  His team won last year despite him, not because of him.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2008, 03:34:07 PM »
but hey,

on edit:

it won't be Tenn.  Vince Young is not an NFL Quarterback.  His team won last year despite him, not because of him.

I agree to a certain extent.... last year young had a bum leg most the year...

that will be healed this season & if they just let vince be vince & their defense shows up again, they are a TOUGH football team... but yeah, it will take Vince to run his ass off & have that magic again....

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2008, 03:39:59 PM »
but hey,

on edit:

Indy doesn't have any draft picks until late in the 2nd round....depth isn't their strong suit anyway & without their offense scoring a bizzilian points & holding onto the ball 3/4 of the game, they are pretty well only as strong as their easy schedule...

JAX looked REAL GOOD at the end of last year & with any luck, their schedule will be fair next year & will get to play Indy w/ the same amount of rest Indy has ...you do know that Indy didn't play either the game against JAX last year w/out at least 10-14 days rest, matched against the jags 6 & 7 days rest ??

w/out Freeney, their defense is a hair above average...without bob sanders, their defense sucks & last year was sanders first 14 game season....so I'm sure he'll be hurt again next year & if so, w/out their best player, they are toast...

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2008, 09:16:05 AM »
damn steel...

just readthat you guys lost john brown ...

was he like your leading scorer or what ??

now I'm thinking you may have a bit more problems next year...

I don't think hass & your offense can play for the touchdown more than  a couple times per game & w/out brown's great leg, your offensive points & strategy are gonna change ....

who knows, maybe this will force holmy  into pounding the ball more , which may in turn benefit you ...I know it will if the hawks can actually do it... but, thats a big if unless they get a stud Olineman from the draft to helpout...

but if lets say brown was not w/ you last year, I'm doubting the hawks would've even made the playoffs...

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2008, 12:23:35 PM »
damn steel...

I don't think hass & your offense can play for the touchdown more than  a couple times per game & w/out brown's great leg, your offensive points & strategy are gonna change ....

who knows, maybe this will force holmy  into pounding the ball more , which may in turn benefit you ...I know it will if the hawks can actually do it... but, thats a big if unless they get a stud Olineman from the draft to helpout...

but if lets say brown was not w/ you last year, I'm doubting the hawks would've even made the playoffs...

Tell me about it. The real kick in the head was he turned down a 14M contract just to turn around and accept the same deal from the freakin' Rams. The Rams! Guess he just wanted to get out of "South Alaska" and play close to home. (sigh)

We signed Olindo Mare today (or yesterday?) and he will fight it out with whatever rookie we get in the draft (along with some camp yahoo from the arena league). We will miss his clutch kicking for sure and you are right... I don't think we make the playoffs last year (or in 2006) w/o Brown.

I also agree our stratagy will change but that was in the works in any case. Signing Wahle at LG will let Sims move to his more natural RG spot (or even better a draftee from this year or last steps up). Weaver turned into a much better blocker when Strong went down and will be in front of TJ Duckett when it's time to pound it. I expect grabbing the best O-line coach in the game (Mike Solari) will be no small thing too.

Anywho. Bitterness aside, good luck to Josh Brown. Thanks for your game winners and 50+ yard scores. Thanks for the excitement and the thrills. But thank you most of all for the following moment which likely got a bigger cheer from me than anything else you ever accomplished and maybe ever will...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEQRXzmgEAs
 :hyper: :rotf: :hyper:

- Ayn Rand

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2008, 01:00:32 PM »
damn steel...

Tell me about it. The real kick in the head was he turned down a 14M contract just to turn around and accept the same deal from the freakin' Rams. The Rams! Guess he just wanted to get out of "South Alaska" and play close to home. (sigh)

We signed Olindo Mare today (or yesterday?) and he will fight it out with whatever rookie we get in the draft (along with some camp yahoo from the arena league). We will miss his clutch kicking for sure and you are right... I don't think we make the playoffs last year (or in 2006) w/o Brown.

I also agree our stratagy will change but that was in the works in any case. Signing Wahle at LG will let Sims move to his more natural RG spot (or even better a draftee from this year or last steps up). Weaver turned into a much better blocker when Strong went down and will be in front of TJ Duckett when it's time to pound it. I expect grabbing the best O-line coach in the game (Mike Solari) will be no small thing too.

Anywho. Bitterness aside, good luck to Josh Brown. Thanks for your game winners and 50+ yard scores. Thanks for the excitement and the thrills. But thank you most of all for the following moment which likely got a bigger cheer from me than anything else you ever accomplished and maybe ever will...

damn, sometimes bad is bad..... yeah, hester won't live that one down, but, he will have a chance for revenge when the Bears play the SORRY ASSED rams this season & I'm not thinking the Rams special teams will handle the bears as well as seattles did....

watch for hester to burn brown real good at least once ....

I wouldn't mind seeing  the hawks do well in 08'....that maybe can set them up to SPOIL the cowboys ...

this looks like the cowboys year ....Romo will have a bit more experience & dallas has two first round draft picks, which historically means Superbowl for a team like dallas ....

ain't noway the bears are going to the SB, so, I'm all for the hawks making it instead....

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2008, 01:17:45 PM »
damn steel...

damn, sometimes bad is bad..... yeah, hester won't live that one down, but, he will have a chance for revenge when the Bears play the SORRY ASSED rams this season & I'm not thinking the Rams special teams will handle the bears as well as seattles did....

I wouldn't mind seeing  the hawks do well in 08'....that maybe can set them up to SPOIL the cowboys ...

this looks like the cowboys year ....Romo will have a bit more experience & dallas has two first round draft picks, which historically means Superbowl for a team like dallas ....

ain't noway the bears are going to the SB, so, I'm all for the hawks making it instead....

Josh Brown does have a tendancy to have about half his kickoffs land at the 15 yard line so I can see Hester making him pay for it for sure. (maybe Brown wanted to kick in a dome?)

Yeah, Dallas could be very good which always give me mixed feelings. I love to hate em. You have probley heard but the Boys are going after Pacman pretty hard. If they get him they might go RB and WR in round one and be pretty freakin set in the offensive threats department. F'in cowboys, lol. Hopefully their division beats them up some.

It will be interesting because Seattle plays the NFC East in 2008. Thankfully, they get both the Giants and the Cowboys IN Seattle. Those should be good games for sure.

- Ayn Rand

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2008, 01:33:15 PM »
damn steel...

Josh Brown does have a tendancy to have about half his kickoffs land at the 15 yard line so I can see Hester making him pay for it for sure. (maybe Brown wanted to kick in a dome?)

Yeah, Dallas could be very good which always give me mixed feelings. I love to hate em. You have probley heard but the Boys are going after Pacman pretty hard. If they get him they might go RB and WR in round one and be pretty freakin set in the offensive threats department. F'in cowboys, lol. Hopefully their division beats them up some.

It will be interesting because Seattle plays the NFC East in 2008. Thankfully, they get both the Giants and the Cowboys IN Seattle. Those should be good games for sure.

if the cowboys go RB & WR, they may not make it to the SB....

they need some MEAT on their Dline.....if they don't address that, they will get run over by the Giants again, or someone else...

if you think pacman had problems w/ the law in Tennesse....wait till he lives in DALLAS ...

I GUARANTEE  he will get into trouble & cause problems for the cowboys....they would be stupid to pick that beotch up ...

the cowboys don't need corners w/ their top 2 draft slots......henry & T-New are good enough...they need to pick at least a 315lb nose guard & maybe another 280-300lber w/ another pick & of course, a running back   ...

if the boys really want mcfadden, which they prolly really do since Jerry Jones is a razorback himself & they obviously need a running back, they made have to swap their 2 picks w/  one of the teams who has an  earlier pick... (PATRIOTS will do that & so would the Tuna)

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2008, 01:48:30 PM »
I agree with going with line help most of the time. Still, both Owens and Glenn are my age, lol. There has been talk of Jones moving up for McFadden but it's cooled off lately. Jones can still get Ark's Felix Jones late in the first.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part that teams like Dallas go WR/RB and the Pats get a CB to replace CB's Samuel and Gay so that maybe a guy like DT Balmer, G/T Brenden Albert or OT Otah fall to my Hawks. (??)

The smart move for the Phins is clearly to trade down. The hard part about that is finding a sucker to do it with.  :-)

- Ayn Rand

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2008, 01:58:18 PM »
I agree with going with line help most of the time. Still, both Owens and Glenn are my age, lol. There has been talk of Jones moving up for McFadden but it's cooled off lately. Jones can still get Ark's Felix Jones late in the first.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part that teams like Dallas go WR/RB and the Pats get a CB to replace CB's Samuel and Gay so that maybe a guy like DT Balmer, G/T Brenden Albert or OT Otah fall to my Hawks. (??)

The smart move for the Phins is clearly to trade down. The hard part about that is finding a sucker to do it with.  :-)

theres a huge sucker in dallas to trade down with & he'll do it...

bendon albert will be a BEAR... Otah is going to pittsburgh ...

and yeah, T Glenn is finished, but, T.O. still draws double coverage & their other two WR's are good enough ...

but the boys Dline is SMALL & you cannot have that in a 3-4....its the death of the 3-4, which then exposes all the boys weakness's in the 2ndary & at LB...

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2008, 02:19:07 PM »

and yeah, T Glenn is finished, but, T.O. still draws double coverage & their other two WR's are good enough ...

but the boys Dline is SMALL & you cannot have that in a 3-4....its the death of the 3-4, which then exposes all the boys weakness's in the 2ndary & at LB...

Maybe we should start a new thead on the draft, LOL.

I've seen Otah going to da Bears, Lions and Pitt. Seen Albert go as high as Carolina (1 pick before Chi-town).

The Bears have a lot of good options. Brendon Albert would be tops. They will also consider Otah, maybe RB Mendenhall or even a QB with Brohm.

On edit:

Countdown to the Draft
29 DAYS 00 HRS 40 MIN 00 SEC

- Ayn Rand

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2008, 02:56:58 PM »

Maybe we should start a new thead on the draft, LOL.

I've seen Otah going to da Bears, Lions and Pitt. Seen Albert go as high as Carolina (1 pick before Chi-town).

The Bears have a lot of good options. Brendon Albert would be tops. They will also consider Otah, maybe RB Mendenhall or even a QB with Brohm.

On edit:

Countdown to the Draft
29 DAYS 00 HRS 40 MIN 00 SEC

Bears need to get a stud Olineman before they dare try & get  a QB....which will put luck on their side, cause by waiting until the 2nd round for the QB pick, they may FINALLY get a winner AND be able to block for the guy ....

bears can't take mendenhall, because they have no oline.... they dumped 2 of last years starting Olinemen this offseason.........but, never say can't with those dumbass's & they very well may take mendenhall, just because he's from illionois & they do need a RB...

but if they finally get smart, they'll realize sticking ANYONE in the NFL behind a quality oline, will be good enough...but I'm not holding my breath ...

I don't think that felix guy from Arkansas has enough north /south in him to be NFL caliber....mccfadden is pushing it too, but, he's built like a brick shithouse & faster than hell...so, he may be able to fake it quite well behind dallas's oline & passing threat...

I'm not putting mcfadden in AP's legue just yet, because AP is north /south & likes to pound opponents.....mcfadden has a fumble probelm too...

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2008, 10:24:42 AM »
NFL networks reporter was saying the Rams or Falcons are gonna take glenn dorsey ...

poor glenn dorsey ...

what a waste of talent if he ends up there....

I say only the falcons would consider dorsey, because the rams just paid their QB 60 million bucks & he GOT HIS ASS KICKED last year, because they had NO OLINE....

I would have to say the Rams have no choice but to protect their #1 investment, their QB, as a priority..... the Rams will pick Jake Long if he's still available...

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2008, 09:52:01 AM »
darren mcfadden going to visit the  patriots this week  :o

ok dallas....get ready to PAY UP  :cheersmate: ...

we'll give you mcfadden if you give us your two 1st round picks & a current player  or your top pick next year perhaps ??

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2008, 12:10:06 PM »

we'll give you mcfadden if you give us your two 1st round picks & a current player  or your top pick next year perhaps ??

That sounds about right if they go by the trade value chart.
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/valuechart.html

That sounds about crazy IMO.  :-) Maybe your right. Maybe Jones is that foolish. lol

Anywho, high five for talking football in April.  :cheersmate:

- Ayn Rand

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2008, 12:48:11 PM »

That sounds about crazy IMO.  :-) Maybe your right. Maybe Jones is that foolish. lol

IMO, jerry jones is crazy enough (or flamboyant enough perhaps) ... ....

& I'd say he may well know this year could be make it or break it.... Parcels coaches are dwindling & next year alot more of parcels players will be up for new contracts &/or leaving... ...

the boys are paying big bucks for too many players right now & are heading towards the Bears future IMO ..(not good having too much salary wrapped up on multiple players going on their 2nd round of contracts)

does wade phillips have what it takes to keep the boys together for future SB runs after this season ?? ....

answer: NO...

jerry has to go for broke this year & landing mcfadden 'could' be  huge....

but if it were me, I'd take the Pats #7 overall to get a  stud Dlineman....thats what the Boys REALLY need w/ their tiny 3-4 .....  better yet, the fins #1 overall...

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2008, 12:24:50 PM »

& I'd say he may well know this year could be make it or break it.... Parcels coaches are dwindling & next year alot more of parcels players will be up for new contracts &/or leaving... ...

the boys are paying big bucks for too many players right now & are heading towards the Bears future IMO ..(not good having too much salary wrapped up on multiple players going on their 2nd round of contracts)

does wade phillips have what it takes to keep the boys together for future SB runs after this season ?? ....

but if it were me, I'd take the Pats #7 overall to get a  stud Dlineman....thats what the Boys REALLY need w/ their tiny 3-4 .....  better yet, the fins #1 overall...

McFadden won't be around for the Pats at number 7 but a stud D-lineman will. (they get like 30 visits so my guess is NE was just doing their due dilligance) The NFL network is now saying Miami will take Jake Long. According to the un-named muckity mucks and grand pooh bahs of the scouting world and various insiders. Who knows? It's way early and plenty of coaches are tossing out misinformation like chum for the sharks.

Some mock drafts I've been following...

The Sports Xchange, Pete Prisco, Clark Judge
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/draft/mock

Scout
http://michigan.scout.com/a.z?s=162&p=2&c=738692

Rob Rang
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/mockdraft.php?round=1&year=2008

Chad Reuter
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/mockdraft2.php?round=1&year=2008

- Ayn Rand

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2008, 02:32:00 PM »

McFadden won't be around for the Pats at number 7 but a stud D-lineman will. (they get like 30 visits so my guess is NE was just doing their due dilligance) The NFL network is now saying Miami will take Jake Long. According to the un-named muckity mucks and grand pooh bahs of the scouting world and various insiders. Who knows? It's way early and plenty of coaches are tossing out misinformation like chum for the sharks.

Some mock drafts I've been following...

The Sports Xchange, Pete Prisco, Clark Judge
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/draft/mock

Scout
http://michigan.scout.com/a.z?s=162&p=2&c=738692

Rob Rang
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/mockdraft.php?round=1&year=2008

Chad Reuter
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/mockdraft2.php?round=1&year=2008

new england ain't taking derrick harvey......he's a 4-3 DE & ain't big enough to be a DT on NE ....maybe the cowboys, but not NE...

if they can't get glenn dorsey or vernon gholston, NE will prolly take Brandon Albert or Jake Long if he's still available... afterall, it was NE's HORRIFIC Oline performance in the SB that cost them THE GREATEST SEASON EVER ...so my guess is, NE's top 5 list is:

glenn dorsey (NE loves LSU players), Vernon Gholston, Jake Long, Brandon Albert, Darren Mcfadden

great/good defensive players are always available via free agency & draft, so NE won't waste a #7 pick on somebody like derrick harvey.... ....

so between dorsey, gholston, Long, Albert & Mcfadden, they are pretty well assured a GREAT player that will make their team significantly better, one way or another...

as far as miami, yeah Chris Long looks like a Parcels kinda guy & rebuilding the D first, is the best way to go...

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2008, 04:41:37 PM »
NE's top 5 list is:

glenn dorsey (NE loves LSU players), Vernon Gholston, Jake Long, Brandon Albert, Darren Mcfadden

Sure. I bet that's Seattle's top five too.  :-) Still, Albert is the only guy there that will survive the first five or six picks. The Jets pick at six and they will get Mcfadden if he is even around and if he's not, they will take Vernon.

There are six mock drafts up there and I think only one dumb@ss has Derrick Harvey going to the Pats. (a point I agree with you on. NE will not take him.) But Jake and Chris Long, as well as Dorsey and Mcfadden will be gone for sure. (that's only 4 btw) Matt Ryan will likely be gone as well but the Pats could care less about a QB pick. Still, one other top guy will be missing from NE's wish list. Probley a top tackle. (if Atlanta gets Ryan then KC has to go O-line IMO)

- Ayn Rand

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2008, 10:02:08 AM »
NE's top 5 list is:

Sure. I bet that's Seattle's top five too.  :-) Still, Albert is the only guy there that will survive the first five or six picks. The Jets pick at six and they will get Mcfadden if he is even around and if he's not, they will take Vernon.

There are six mock drafts up there and I think only one dumb@ss has Derrick Harvey going to the Pats. (a point I agree with you on. NE will not take him.) But Jake and Chris Long, as well as Dorsey and Mcfadden will be gone for sure. (that's only 4 btw) Matt Ryan will likely be gone as well but the Pats could care less about a QB pick. Still, one other top guy will be missing from NE's wish list. Probley a top tackle. (if Atlanta gets Ryan then KC has to go O-line IMO)

how many of those other mock draft dumbass's are saying the Pats will pick a cornerback ??   :mental:

I say that the chiefs & rams HAVE NO CHOICE in the matter....they HAVE TO take THE BEST Olinemen available in the draft & that looks to be Brandon Albert/Jake Long..... cause as of right now, it doesn't matter who is playing QB for either of those teams, cause their QB's are getting killed by the pash rush ....and BOTH of their  STUD running backs got knocked by injuries last season...which again suggests their PISSPOOR Olines had alot to do with that...

JCC's mock draft: top 7, cause thats all that matters

1. miami - vernon gholston ...(LT / McGuiness /  D Ware type linebacker that will gang rape QB's.......thats parcels style & jason taylor will be gone next year) plus, the Fins are a division rival of the Pats, who until the combine, had gholston locked up...so Parcels can kick the Pats in the balls while also getting prolly THE BEST big defensive athlete in the draft.... a knuckledragger for sure, but, Parcels will be able to help him learn how to play football in the NFL..

2. st louis- jake long  (rams have 100 mil invested into Jackson & Bolger, gotta protect that)

3. atlanta - matt ryan (need Qb, already has decent oline & ryan looks able)

4. raydas - glenn dorsey (raydas have just resigned 3 decent RB's, so unlikely to grab mcfadden....... their Dline got ganged raped last year  & they released sapp & clemmens, so they are in need of DT ..dorsey is THE BEAST o the draft ...

5 chiefs - brandon albert  (chiefs are a running team, last year they couldn't pass or run.... & brandon albert is a bulldozer who can pass & run block) ...plus herm will want to pick a brotha' & this one can actually help their decent QB's have some time to throw ..

6. jets - chris long ( Jets are dealing robinson, therefore are preparring for a new DT...chris long is a 4-3 DE ONLY, but the Jets will make the mistake of drafting him as an OLB to primarily pass rush, then  when that doesn't work out because his lack of lateral speed will get him owned out in the flats on pass coverage/pitchouts, they'll move him to DT, where he will be undersized in a 3-4 defense...stupid jets) ...but maybe howie will convince his son to hold out & avoid the jets like the plague...

7. Pats- cedric ellis ...if other teams are smart (highly unlikely), the best player left will either be cedric ellis or darren mcfadden ... but he lack of power running/pass protection  at the end of last season was evident (which means the Pats could even go mendenhall, who's built like a mack truck) ........or  the pats may just go ryan clady or somebody else they think will be right for them at the Oline ...

so its up in the air for the Pats if JCC's top players all go before the Pats have a chance to grab them ....but, Cedric Ellis could be a real good fit as an OLB/DE  for them....he's kinda undersized already, but very fast & has got a great football mind.....they could have him lose 10-15 lbs or so & have him play the OLB/DE in a 3-4 by the end of this season.... belichick loves to take undersized star  Dlinemen & turn them into LB's...  & remember, Pete Caroll, USC's headcoach who drafted Ellis, used to coach the Pats ....so, there is a link already....
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 10:09:46 AM by john c calhoun »

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2008, 06:27:20 PM »

how many of those other mock draft dumbass's are saying the Pats will pick a cornerback ??   :mental:

I say that the chiefs & rams HAVE NO CHOICE in the matter....they HAVE TO take THE BEST Olinemen available in the draft & that looks to be Brandon Albert/Jake Long..... cause as of right now, it doesn't matter who is playing QB for either of those teams, cause their QB's are getting killed by the pash rush ....and BOTH of their  STUD running backs got knocked by injuries last season...which again suggests their PISSPOOR Olines had alot to do with that...

JCC's mock draft: top 7, cause thats all that matters

1. miami - vernon gholston ...(LT / McGuiness /  D Ware type linebacker that will gang rape QB's.......thats parcels style & jason taylor will be gone next year) plus, the Fins are a division rival of the Pats, who until the combine, had gholston locked up...so Parcels can kick the Pats in the balls while also getting prolly THE BEST big defensive athlete in the draft.... a knuckledragger for sure, but, Parcels will be able to help him learn how to play football in the NFL..

2. st louis- jake long  (rams have 100 mil invested into Jackson & Bolger, gotta protect that)

3. atlanta - matt ryan (need Qb, already has decent oline & ryan looks able)

4. raydas - glenn dorsey (raydas have just resigned 3 decent RB's, so unlikely to grab mcfadden....... their Dline got ganged raped last year  & they released sapp & clemmens, so they are in need of DT ..dorsey is THE BEAST o the draft ...

5 chiefs - brandon albert  (chiefs are a running team, last year they couldn't pass or run.... & brandon albert is a bulldozer who can pass & run block) ...plus herm will want to pick a brotha' & this one can actually help their decent QB's have some time to throw ..

6. jets - chris long ( Jets are dealing robinson, therefore are preparring for a new DT...chris long is a 4-3 DE ONLY, but the Jets will make the mistake of drafting him as an OLB to primarily pass rush, then  when that doesn't work out because his lack of lateral speed will get him owned out in the flats on pass coverage/pitchouts, they'll move him to DT, where he will be undersized in a 3-4 defense...stupid jets) ...but maybe howie will convince his son to hold out & avoid the jets like the plague...

7. Pats- cedric ellis ...if other teams are smart (highly unlikely), the best player left will either be cedric ellis or darren mcfadden ... but he lack of power running/pass protection  at the end of last season was evident (which means the Pats could even go mendenhall, who's built like a mack truck) ........or  the pats may just go ryan clady or somebody else they think will be right for them at the Oline ...

so its up in the air for the Pats if JCC's top players all go before the Pats have a chance to grab them ....but, Cedric Ellis could be a real good fit as an OLB/DE  for them....he's kinda undersized already, but very fast & has got a great football mind.....they could have him lose 10-15 lbs or so & have him play the OLB/DE in a 3-4 by the end of this season.... belichick loves to take undersized star  Dlinemen & turn them into LB's...  & remember, Pete Caroll, USC's headcoach who drafted Ellis, used to coach the Pats ....so, there is a link already....

I don't think it's crazy for the Pat's to grab the best CB in the draft. I agree the front seven matters far more and the Giants put the exclamation point on that fact in the SB. NE knows that as well as anyone and knew so well before the Giants game. A great front seven means you can get by with an average CB group. A killer front seven means you can get by with a below average CB group. The problem is, the Pats have a crap CB group right now. They got a lot of nothing.

The RS mock draft: (because thats all I really have to do right now)  :tongue:

1 - MIA - Chris Long, DE
Long did play the 3-4 at Virginia fwiw. (Vernon tore up the combine but Chris put up better numbers on the field and it's not like he blew off his workouts either) This is the safest pick in the draft for a team that desperatly wants out of the number one spot.

2 - STL - Jake Long, OT
Smart move. Top guy on the board and a position of great need for the Rams. Michigan student can learn fron the Buckeye master. (Orlando Pace)

3 - ATL - Glenn Dorsey, DT
Why not? They need everything and Jake is off the board. They have multiple picks in round two and can pull a Cleveland Browns type move. (shoot for Brohm in the bottom of the first/top of the second round)

4 - OAK - Darren McFadden, RB
Yeah it's not the smartest move. Hey! It's not the smartest organization. Raiders are all flash and no go. Lots of talent at o-line later anyway and Al Davis gets what he wants so screw em.

5 - KC - Matt Ryan, QB
They need it. It's not the best class but Ryan sits at the top of it anyway. He will never be Brady or Manning but he could be a Hasselbeck type in a few years.

6 - NYJ - Vernon Gholston, DE/OLB
Won't miss a chance to stick Belichek in the eye with this one. It's a need. They like their Buckeye picks from the last few years. Guy is a stud in a need pos.

7 - NE - Ryan Clady, OT
Elite pass rushers are gone. Pats know how to win and will add a really good guy where it counts. Will not be embarassed again up front on the O-line. Unlike most NFL franchises, the learning curve in NE is sharp. They make adjustments better than anyone. (so hard not to pick a CB just to cheese JCC off) 
 :lmao:

#9 - CIN - Sedrick Ellis, DT
Big big need. Solid guy. Will not fall farther than this for sure. Nuff said. (#8 BAL needs a CB, or a QB)

#25 - SEA - James Hardy, WR
Why? Hackett signed a new deal in CAR, Engram is 35 and Branch has ACL issues. TE is a bigger need but I don't grade any of em as round one material this year. Other WR's like Sweed, Kelly and Jackson I assume are gone. (Kentwan Balmer DT and Brenden Albert OG also assumed gone) Hardy is the big and smart target that Hass has missed since Jurevicius was around. (they finish the top three rounds adding a G or OT and TE or DT depending on best player available.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 06:30:31 PM by ReardenSteel »

- Ayn Rand