Author Topic: NFL FA begins (Philly grabs Samuel)  (Read 27012 times)

Offline john c calhoun

Re: NFL FA begins (Philly grabs Samuel)
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2008, 01:26:08 PM »
as to the Pats dumping assante samuel ...

things to know about samuel:

#1. he was a mini T.O. & heldout last year, missing all of training camp & preseason...

#2. he DROPPED the game winning INT in the superbowl

#3. only 1 of his 8 INTs last season came from a real good team & that was against the hobbled chargers in the AFC championship ...all the rest came from backup QB's from the likes of the Bills & Eagles, plus the bengals, redskins & browns....

#4. the pats philosophy on defense, is pay the guys from the LOS on back, so their money/focus is on their Dline first....same goes for the Giants & their 2ndary SUCKED ....

bottomline is, the Pats will be as good or better next year w/out samuel, whereas the iggles just screwed the pooch because their problem wasn't really defense, but is offense... & now they're 60 million more in the hole

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2008, 02:15:08 PM »

THERE YOU ARE STEEL !!!...

man I missed you  playoff time & now w/ F/A !!!

Yeah! Long time no see. Always love the sportstalk man. Welcome.

well, remember when I told you signing Alexander for everything & the kitchen sink was a mistake 2 years ago...

No.

what do you say now ??.....

You were right.  :lmao: (I do remember talking about Shaun's contract in the past some now that ya mention it)

and yeah, adding duckett & jones won't do a thing for your offense, unless you get better blocking & a deep passing threat.... ....

We will have better blocking. Wahle was a good signing as was keeping locklear on the team. New O-line coach will help too. We are hurting at WR but Hass keeps getting better every year.

alexander will get traded to the broncos, chargers or chiefs perhaps??

IF he restuctures his contract, LOL. In his defense the line has been troubled for 2 years and he's been hurt each of the last 2 years as well. He might still be pretty good, at least for another year or two. (though never 2005 good, and not "worth his contract" good)

and yeah, next year could be the cowboys year since they'll have two  1st round picks & theres at least 5 top running backs in their reach.....(mcfadden paired up w/ Barber is downright scary)

They need another RB for sure. As well as help at CB and some youth at WR. But yeah, they will be good and good in a tough as Hell division too.

JCC- "as to the Pats dumping assante samuel ..."

Pats will be great again but better? No way. (though their div. is crap so... playoff bound)

I agree D starts up front but Samuel has been pretty good for years. He's not "shutdown" but he is elite. NE's secondary will suffer w/o him. Meh, who cares when you play the Bills, Dolphins and Jets twice a year.  :-)

Your right about the market for CB's though. (f'n 9ers and their Clements deal) On that note will someone please tell Seattle's Marcus Trufant that he is not Champ Bailey or Darell Green! 
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2008, 02:32:01 PM »
the Pats will be better, heres why:

#1. their 1st dound draft choice is gonna be a GAME CHANGING defensive end. Add Cedric Ellis, Chris Long, Vernon Gholston or Glenn Dorsey to their wilfork, seymour, warren, green rotation, and IT WILL NOT MATTER WHO IS in THEIR  2ndary... their 2ndary will stil lbe good because of coaching...

#2. Adialius Thomas will move back to MLB & they'll have some speed & some youth to replace bruschi/seau/colvin  w/ TJ Slaughter & a draft pick...

#3. 1 more year w/ Brady/Moss/Welker will see them more comfortable w/ each other

#4- sammy morris will be back at runing back & they'll pick up a 2nd round OT to help out that Oline

#5- they'll have dave thomas back at TE too (lost all year to injury last season)

their division will be better, they will lose 3-4 games, but they will be a stronger team & w/out injuries this time, they'll win the SB
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 02:47:13 PM by john c calhoun »

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2008, 02:36:18 PM »

#1. their 1st dound draft choice is gonna be a GAME CHANGING defensive end. Add Cedric Ellis, Chris Long, Vernon Gholston or Glenn Dorsey to their wilfork, seymour, warren, green rotation, and IT WILL NOT MATTER WHO IS in THEIR  2ndary... their 2ndary will stil lbe good because of coaching...

#2. Adialius Thomas will move back to MLB & they'll have some speed & some youth to replace bruschi/seau/colvin  w/ TJ Slaughter & a draft pick...

#3. 1 more year w/ Brady/Moss will see them more comfortable w/ each other

#4- sammy morris will be back at runing back & they'll pick up a 2nd round OT to help out that Oline

#5- they'll have dave thomas back at TE too (lost all year to injury last season)

their division will be better, they will lose 3-4 games, but they will be a stronger team & w/out injuries this time, they'll win the SB

Who do you expect them to take with their 2nd first round pick? :tongue:
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2008, 02:39:14 PM »
as to Seattles running game...

I'm still not thinking a former starter for the cowboys is gonna do any better than the 500 yards he got running for them ...

seriously, this guy was the cowboys starter & he ran behind their mamouth Oline , w/ the  2nd best passing game in the NFL, & yet he still only mustered 588 yards & got moved back to 2nd string at the end of the season...

duckett can't be any better than the 'thunder' you've got now w/ Weaver...so I dunno what that is gonna do....

jones is another maurice morris, which isn't exactly a bad thing, but at least it may get eveyrone working harder perhaps ??

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2008, 02:40:22 PM »

yo momma  :hyper:  :evillaugh: ...

most definitly kidding man !! :-*

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2008, 02:53:36 PM »

yo momma  :hyper:  :evillaugh: ...

most definitly kidding man !! :-*
Good to have you here in the sports forum.  Now I can just stay here to talk sports with ya.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2008, 03:02:47 PM »

I'm still not thinking a former starter for the cowboys is gonna do any better than the 500 yards he got running for them ...

seriously, this guy was the cowboys starter & he ran behind their mamouth Oline , w/ the  2nd best passing game in the NFL, & yet he still only mustered 588 yards & got moved back to 2nd string at the end of the season...

duckett can't be any better than the 'thunder' you've got now w/ Weaver...so I dunno what that is gonna do....

jones is another maurice morris, which isn't exactly a bad thing, but at least it may get eveyrone working harder perhaps ??

Yeah, competition for jobs and all that. Sometimes a change of scenery does wonders) Weaver is the "thunder" but also all we have at FB. (think TJ running behind Weaver... no more short yardage issues) Jones is another MoMo but faster and stronger. We got depth, a new coach and Wahle may not be the only new O-lineman post April's draft.

As to the Pats, I didn't know by "better" you meant "lose more games".  :tongue: Yes. I do get your drift there. But don't forget, Stallworth is gone and not replaced, and Troy Brown is about to be let go. (OK dropping Brown does nothing to production but he was a NE institution) Moss will see tougher coverage and EVERYONE is going to throw the kitchen sink at sacking Brady all year per the Giants example. (granted with less success than NY but Tom will see more pressure)

Speaking of Stallworth, how about those Browns! (??) Looking pretty freakin good IMHO and yes I'm talking about the freaking Browns.  :-) Steelers better watch out. Heck the AFC better watch out for Cleveland next year. I'm not a big fan of giant crazy FA moves but the Browns have been bold and smart. (rare FA combo) Maybe they get Alexander, lol, they can afford him anyway.
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2008, 04:20:18 PM »

Yeah, competition for jobs and all that. Sometimes a change of scenery does wonders) Weaver is the "thunder" but also all we have at FB. (think TJ running behind Weaver... no more short yardage issues) Jones is another MoMo but faster and stronger. We got depth, a new coach and Wahle may not be the only new O-lineman post April's draft.

As to the Pats, I didn't know by "better" you meant "lose more games".  :tongue: Yes. I do get your drift there. But don't forget, Stallworth is gone and not replaced, and Troy Brown is about to be let go. (OK dropping Brown does nothing to production but he was a NE institution) Moss will see tougher coverage and EVERYONE is going to throw the kitchen sink at sacking Brady all year per the Giants example. (granted with less success than NY but Tom will see more pressure)

Speaking of Stallworth, how about those Browns! (??) Looking pretty freakin good IMHO and yes I'm talking about the freaking Browns.  :-) Steelers better watch out. Heck the AFC better watch out for Cleveland next year. I'm not a big fan of giant crazy FA moves but the Browns have been bold and smart. (rare FA combo) Maybe they get Alexander, lol, they can afford him anyway.

#1- stallworth got bumped down to #5 receiver at the end of the season....thats why you saw very little of him basically from week 10 on ..... Jabar  Gaffney took his slot when stallworth got bumped down & jabar gaffney is the guy that caught 2  game winning TD's last year....stallworth caught ZERO game winners .... the stallworth  loss is overrated, but, will be good for the Browns (unless they paid too much for him)

#2-  there was only 4 teams that were capable of putting pressure on brady last year.... Colts, Eagles, Giants, Ravens ...nobody else was able to & only the giants were capable  of doing it 4 quarters in last years SB...nobody else lasted 4 quarters...

3 reasons why this happened in the SB, but not during the reg season
   1.  Brady was hurt & less mobile/effective than usual

2. Sammy Morris was out, therefore their better blocking halfback was gone

3. it was the SB & the giants were allowed more freedom to late hit & therefore didn't holdback when blitzing...if the Pats would've taken a 2 score lead, the game would've been over because coughlin would've abandoned the running game & the giants D would've ran out of steam because the Pats would've ran more....

yeah, the Browns are looking the AFC sleeper awright....I have them picked to take that division too, but, we need to see them play first to be more certain.... .... 

but the Titans made some great pickups too & V Young will be healthy again (titans picked up TE Crumpler, WR Mcareins, G Scott from the Colts & a couple other good players ) ... 

tough call on AFC sleeper next year....

as far as NFC, I picked the 49ers last year & that ain't EVER gonna happen.... but the CARDS may just do it finally

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2008, 05:04:15 PM »
Alright. We'll see, I guess I just have a hard time seeing any team being better than the Pats were last season. (despite losing the big one)

I think ya nailed most of the reasons NE fell last year in the SB. I'd add the "miracle play" by NY and Belicheck going for it on 4th and forever rather than kick an easy FG.

Sleepers? In March? Sounds like us.  :lmao: (thought you picked da Raiders last year? LOL) ssOK, I picked the Lions who were 6-2 before turning into, well, the Lions.

My pre-draft/end of FA sleepers...

AFC- Cleveland

NFC- Tampa Bay

On edit:

Gotta go (for a few hours anyway) but just wanted to say again, welcome JCC. Sports talk is improved with you here for sure. It's good to have another sports fan who can dish it out, take it, trash talk and knows the topic well (or can fake it with the best of us).  :cheersmate:

« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 05:10:25 PM by ReardenSteel »

- Ayn Rand

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2008, 09:01:55 AM »
good to be any place we can talk football w/out having PC homo's watching over you & banning you  :-) (like  over at chicago bears blog  :evillaugh:) ...

I guess they didn't like the fact I bashed my sorry assed bears team last year more than 'non fans'    :hyper: ....

but, as far as the 'Pats' being better, you are correct....they officially won't be 'better' statistically,  but, when push comes to shove, they will take it all the way this time.....thats what I mean by better... ...

seriously, that 7th round pick could be HUGE for them.....if they land a chris long, cedric ellis, vernon gholston or glenn dorsey, their front line will be downright scary as far as pass rush & better run stoppers than the giants .... too bad the pats didn't lose to the jets that 2nd game last year, that would've moved the pats up another slot in the draft  :lmao:

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2008, 06:10:33 PM »
Don't forget, NE lost the Superbowl.

oooooooo  (louder now) oooooooooooooo  :lmao:

I would be shocked if Chris Long gets passed up by both Miami and the Rams who pick 1 and 2. Anyone else you mention is possible depending on how the cookie crumbles. Man I sure hope NE does not get Gholston though! It's bad enough that I have to root one Buckeye LB in NE already but two would be to much. (farkin Pats, LOL) About half the mock drafts I've read have NE reaching for a CB (Leodis McKelvin) but many have Vernon falling to the Pats. (scary)

Man, wth did happen to the Bears anyway? (oh yea, "the curse" lol) They really fell apart last year and don't look to be all that put back together this year either. (save, for keeping Briggs) Will they go O-line or RB in round one? I think they would be smart to trade down from #14 into the high 20s in round 1 at get QB Brian Brohm + an extra draft pick or two. I really want to see the Bears winning again.   

- Ayn Rand

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2008, 09:36:14 AM »
Don't forget, NE lost the Superbowl.

oooooooo  (louder now) oooooooooooooo  :lmao:

I would be shocked if Chris Long gets passed up by both Miami and the Rams who pick 1 and 2. Anyone else you mention is possible depending on how the cookie crumbles. Man I sure hope NE does not get Gholston though! It's bad enough that I have to root one Buckeye LB in NE already but two would be to much. (farkin Pats, LOL) About half the mock drafts I've read have NE reaching for a CB (Leodis McKelvin) but many have Vernon falling to the Pats. (scary)

Man, wth did happen to the Bears anyway? (oh yea, "the curse" lol) They really fell apart last year and don't look to be all that put back together this year either. (save, for keeping Briggs) Will they go O-line or RB in round one? I think they would be smart to trade down from #14 into the high 20s in round 1 at get QB Brian Brohm + an extra draft pick or two. I really want to see the Bears winning again.   

the rams  need an Oline.....if they pick a defender, they are stupid...

parcels is too smart to not go oline or QB  too....

the only ones shopping for D would be raiders, jets ....but the jets would still be better off going for a Oline or running back ....

and whoever you are reading that says the Pats will burn a #7 overall pick on a CORNERBACK, should be taken out back & hung..... ...

ain't NO WAY the patriots will pick a cornerback over the TREMENDOUS  Dline/LB talent in this years top 10 .... ...

the giants this year & the Pats pretty well everyyear prove the key to top defense is the Line, then LB's, then Safeties & last, cornerbacks.... (assante samuel was like a 6th round pick or something, that the Pats MADE GREAT...)

the Pats worry about  CB last ...& last years SB proved they need LB's & DE's ....

I have my doubts about them wanting gholston over ellis, dorsey, merling, C Long or even Jake Long (cause if jake long is still hanging around, you'd have to take him, then the pats defense won't matter as much, cause brady will have 5 minutes to throw  a pass)

gholston is a tremendous talent, but not football smart or experienced........ but, if the Longs, Dorsey, Ellis are gone, gholston will be snatched up by the pats for sure....(or traded for 2-3 other top picks)

the Pats won't be cursed w/ the SB loss syndrome....
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 09:42:37 AM by john c calhoun »

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2008, 10:45:14 AM »
the rams  need an Oline.....if they pick a defender, they are stupid...

parcels is too smart to not go oline or QB  too....

the only ones shopping for D would be raiders, jets ....but the jets would still be better off going for a Oline or running back ....

and whoever you are reading that says the Pats will burn a #7 overall pick on a CORNERBACK, should be taken out back & hung..... ...

ain't NO WAY the patriots will pick a cornerback over the TREMENDOUS  Dline/LB talent in this years top 10 .... ...

the giants this year & the Pats pretty well everyyear prove the key to top defense is the Line, then LB's, then Safeties & last, cornerbacks.... (assante samuel was like a 6th round pick or something, that the Pats MADE GREAT...)

the Pats worry about  CB last ...& last years SB proved they need LB's & DE's ....

I have my doubts about them wanting gholston over ellis, dorsey, merling, C Long or even Jake Long (cause if jake long is still hanging around, you'd have to take him, then the pats defense won't matter as much, cause brady will have 5 minutes to throw  a pass)

gholston is a tremendous talent, but not football smart or experienced........ but, if the Longs, Dorsey, Ellis are gone, gholston will be snatched up by the pats for sure....(or traded for 2-3 other top picks)

the Pats won't be cursed w/ the SB loss syndrome....

- The Rams need everything. (except RB, QB and lately a K, the latter pissing me off to no end)

- Parcells is a smart guy and had a good look at Matt Ryan I'm sure. (and Jake Long) But the Dolphins also have holes everywhere and none of the QB's are sure things by far. They could realisticly get Brian Brohm at the top of round two. The best talent, the elite guys and the safest (huge money) guys are all DT, DE or RB in this years draft. (Bill also runs a 3-4, I think and Howie's pup is money)

Sure the Pats will be great again. Also I agree the curse thing is dumb. (thought you of all people would see that as a joke) I see the logic of NE getting Ellis or Dorsey or Gholston. But unless Chris Long gets hit by a bus, he will be gone an hour before the Pats pick at number 7 for sure. Jake Long will be long gone as well. (but Ryan Clady is an OT who has been shooting up the draft boards lately)

- Ayn Rand

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2008, 01:41:50 PM »
Big week for Seahawks fans.

Seattle locked up two pro-bowlers to long term contracts. (fairly cap friendly deals too)

LB Lofa Tatupu got a deal through 2015
http://sea.scout.com/2/739691.html

CB Marcus Trufant signed a 6 year deal today
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/03/26/bc.fbn.seahawks.trufant.ap/index.html

Seattle also brought back LB D.D. Lewis for depth on a one year deal and kicker Olindo Mare is in town to take a shot at being Brown's replacement. In short, everything is in place to be able to draft the BPA in every round come April. Yee haa!!

:-)

- Ayn Rand

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2008, 02:05:23 PM »

Seattle locked up two pro-bowlers to long term contracts. (fairly cap friendly deals too)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/03/26/bc.fbn.seahawks.trufant.ap/index.html

Seattle also brought back LB D.D. Lewis for depth on a one year deal and kicker Olindo Mare is in town to take a shot at being Brown's replacement. In short, everything is in place to be able to draft the BPA in every round come April. Yee haa!!

seachickens look like they'll be strong again...

but, I'm still not sold on their 'new running game', or offense in general ...

they'll lose in the first or 2nd round of  the playoffs ....AGAIN ....but at least you'll have a good team to watch all year round....better than my Bears this go round...thats for sure...

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2008, 02:25:42 PM »

they'll lose in the first or 2nd round of  the playoffs ....AGAIN ....but at least you'll have a good team to watch all year round....better than my Bears this go round...thats for sure...

Dang it, who let you in? :banghead:
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2008, 02:32:19 PM »

John's cool in the sports forum.  And just remember, in the other forums, he don't believe his bullshit.  He's just playing the bad guy.

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2008, 02:32:45 PM »

someone who thinks the cowboys SUCK :tongue:

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2008, 02:36:01 PM »

someone who thinks the cowboys SUCK :tongue:

:tool: :dn: :bigbird: :lame:
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2008, 02:38:02 PM »

I'm unsure about the offense too. (thank God my guys are in the NFCW, lol)

What's the deal with the Bears anyway? Seattle has problems at the skill spots, notably RB and WR but Chicago has zip there. (+ QB issues besides) They better pull their shite together and have a heck of a draft besides.Chi-town needs to be ready in case GB stumbles w/o Favre*.

*If GB does not have Favre.  :p
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7951584/Favre-hasn't-filed-...-is-it-just-a-formality?

- Ayn Rand

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2008, 02:43:47 PM »

What's the deal with the Bears anyway? Seattle has problems at the skill spots, notably RB and WR but Chicago has zip there. (+ QB issues besides) They better pull their shite together and have a heck of a draft besides.Chi-town needs to be ready in case GB stumbles w/o Favre*.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7951584/Favre-hasn't-filed-...-is-it-just-a-formality?

the ONLY thing that could possibly have the Bears take their division is their defense,that will be strong again next year w/ a healthy nathan vasher, urlacher & HOPEFULLY some beef on the Dline from the draft to help T Harris.... plus briggs is sticking around & thats HUGE for their D...

the bears offense will suck badly & I'm thinking its gonna be REAL close between the Vikes, Bears & Pack ....REAL CLOSE...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 02:54:01 PM by john c calhoun »

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2008, 02:53:44 PM »

the ONLY thing that could possibly have the Bears take their division is their defense,tha twill be strong again next year w/ a healthy nathan vasher, urlacher & HOPEFULLY some beef on hte Dline to help T Harris....

the bears offense will suck badly & I'm thinking its gonna be REAL close between the Vikes, Bears & Pack ....REAL CLOSE...

Yeah they have to do it on D for sure. As to that, the Briggs signing was a surprise to me. But the 9ers "tampering" to steal Briggs was HI-larious to this Hawk fan. It cost San Fran 2 draft picks this year (a 3rd and 5th) which should help keep those guys in the basement a wee bit longer.
 :lmao:

- Ayn Rand

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2008, 02:55:47 PM »

the ONLY thing that could possibly have the Bears take their division is their defense,tha twill be strong again next year w/ a healthy nathan vasher, urlacher & HOPEFULLY some beef on hte Dline to help T Harris....

Yeah they have to do it on D for sure. As to that, the Briggs signing was a surprise to me. But the 9ers "tampering" to steal Briggs was HI-larious to this Hawk fan. It cost San Fran 2 draft picks this year (a 3rd and 5th) which should help keep those guys in the basement a wee bit longer.
 :lmao:

yeah, Dick Nolan seems to be more of a dickhead ...

they doomed themselves when they paid 80 million bucks for a CORNERBACK :lmao: ...

god almighty, where are the priorities ?? ...

if they didn't have frank gore & patrick willis, I don't think they would've won a game last year...

next year, they'll win 4 games

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2008, 03:01:06 PM »
but hey,

how bout the colts losing their premier guard, klecko & ben utecht ??

I also hear Dwight Freeney may not be coming back &/or won't be 100% because of his injury ?

R Colvin had the same injury last year & he's OUT of  the league now  ...

Colts are going down next year  ...even w/ their EASY schedule, they will lose 5-6 games & either JAX or the Titans will take that division.... (prolly the jags, but their defense took a beating this offseason, so we'll see)