Author Topic: Grandma no Excel expert  (Read 2221 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Grandma no Excel expert
« on: May 12, 2009, 04:14:19 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=242x25123

Oh my.

Seeing Grandma tootling around the computer forum on Skins's island is about as much a surprise as seeing George Steinbrenner hanging around a Gay Pride Parade in San Francisco, but here she is:

hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Mon May-11-09 04:27 PM
Original message

Excel spreadsheet problem.

I did not build this spreadsheet but I used to use it and it was fine. Since then it has been given over to someone who is barely computer literate to keep updated (I've removed all the data so only the spreadsheet is available.) I have had to use it the past couple of weeks and have had to clean up numerous problems but there is one I cannot for the life of me figure out how to repair, because while I can use Excel without too much problem, I am not an Excel expert.

The lines that you see that extend past the borders of the sheet - vertical between columns D and E and horizontal between rows 2 and 3 - are causing this to print numerous blank sheets. I have tried changing the borders on all the adjacent columns but I cannot get rid of those two lines. If I highlight and select in order to delete, it just goes on into infinity and doesn't solve the situation.

Does anyone have any ideas? I would greatly appreciate anyone who could help me solve this problem.

after which large image of a blank Excel worksheet

Help immediately comes.

canetoad  (1000+ posts)         Mon May-11-09 04:50 PM
Response to Original message

1. Is is a split pane?

Check Windows menu, Split & Freeze

Problem apparently solved.

hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Mon May-11-09 04:56 PM
Response to Reply #1

2. That's it!

It worked! Thank you so very, very much! That was about to drive me buggy
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Baruch Menachem

• In a handbasket, heading to a warm destination
  • do the best you can with what you can
Re: Grandma no Excel expert
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 09:51:42 AM »
That is a bug that smart people can work around.  I have to admit I would have been stumped too.    What possessed the folks at Redmond to make it so blank pages would get printed if you split the pane?    It is a VRWEE conspiracy to waste paper, thats what that is! :fuelfire: :tongue:

Of course, I would never split the pane anyway.

Anyway, even though I do work with computers a lot, I still feel for her.
An optimist sees the glass as half full, a pessimist sees the glass as half empty, an engineer sees that there is twice the glass required to contain the beer

My name is Obamandias, King of Kings, 
  Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!