Author Topic: Former Yankees pitcher Sturdivant dies at 78  (Read 1145 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Former Yankees pitcher Sturdivant dies at 78
« on: March 02, 2009, 06:55:11 PM »
I never heard of him, but he won a WS ring or two . . .

Former Yankees pitcher Sturdivant dies at 78

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP)—Tom Sturdivant, who pitched the New York Yankees to victory in Game 4 of the 1956 World Series on the day before Don Larsen’s famed perfect game, has died. He was 78.

Sturdivant threw a complete game in a 6-2 win against the Brooklyn Dodgers on Oct. 7, 1956, to even the best-of-seven series at 2-2 and set the stage for the only perfect game in World Series history. Whitey Ford, Sturdivant, Larsen, Bob Turley and Johnny Kucks threw five straight complete games in that series— a feat that hasn’t been accomplished since.

Sturdivant was a member of the Yankees teams that played in the World Series in three straight years, beginning in 1955. He went 16-8 in 1956 and 16-6 in 1957, when he led the American League in won-lost percentage and was second with a 2.54 ERA.

He hurt his arm the following year and spent the rest of his career pitching with six different teams—Kansas City, Boston, Washington, Pittsburgh, Detroit and the New York Mets.

The link is at:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-obit-sturdivant&prov=ap&type=lgns

Let's go back to the second paragraph above--5 straight complete games by that staff.  Wow.  Just wow--and not in a bad way.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline formerlurker

Re: Former Yankees pitcher Sturdivant dies at 78
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 06:59:31 PM »
Let's go back to the second paragraph above--5 straight complete games by that staff.  Wow.  Just wow--and not in a bad way.

No kidding -- wow.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
Re: Former Yankees pitcher Sturdivant dies at 78
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 07:12:30 PM »
Oh, wow. I met him a couple of times. I went to school and played baseball with his grandson who wasn't too shabby a pitcher himself.

RIP, sir.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi