Author Topic: NFL Mock Draft  (Read 3372 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
NFL Mock Draft
« on: February 05, 2008, 09:23:10 AM »
http://nfldraft.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=763411

1. Miami (1-15)
The Pick: Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
The buzz: The Dolphins need a tough, talented leader to get them back to the playoffs. Bill Parcells will not hesitate to select a player like Ryan, who has proven skills and the intangibles necessary to play the game's most important position.

2. St. Louis (3-13)
The Pick: Chris Long, DE, Virginia
The buzz: The Rams will focus on both lines early in the draft, and Long would give them an impact defender and the ability to have a flexible front line.    

x - 3. Atlanta (4-12)
The Pick: Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
The buzz: The Falcons must totally rebuild on each side of the ball, and Dorsey could be the safest selection of the entire draft.

x - 4. Oakland (4-12)
Pick: Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas*
The buzz: Al Davis rarely passes on a star-caliber prospect despite bigger needs in other areas.

x - 5. Kansas City (4-12)
The Pick: Jake Long, OT, Michigan
The buzz: The Chiefs' once-great offensive line has struggled in recent seasons. Long would be a fine addition for a revamped unit.

6. N.Y. Jets (4-12)
The Pick: Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC
The buzz: The Jets want to add a playmaker on their front line, and Ellis has been outstanding for USC.

7. New England (From San Francisco (5-11))
The Pick: Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State*
The buzz: The Patriots are looking for a young impact defender to add to their aging linebacker unit.

8. Baltimore (5-11)
The Pick: Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
The buzz: The Ravens want one of the top two quarterbacks and may have to settle for Brohm at this spot.

9. Cincinnati (7-9)
The Pick: Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami*
The buzz: The Bengals defense gives up too many big passes, and Marvin Lewis needs a playmaker at free safety.

10. New Orleans (7-9)
The Pick: Keith Rivers, LB, USC
The buzz: The Saints defense is not at a playoff-caliber level, and Rivers would quickly help revamp this struggling unit.

11. Buffalo (7-9)
The Pick: Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma*
The buzz: The Bills wants to find a playmaker opposite Lee Evans so their young passers will have more than one option.

12. Denver (7-9)
The Pick: Reggie Smith, CB, Oklahoma*
The buzz: The Broncos secondary lacks talent and depth. Denver needs to address this unit early and often this April.

13. Carolina (7-9)
The Pick: Ryan Clady, OT, Boise St.*
The buzz: The Panthers offensive line would benefit from a top-flight tackle, especially on the left side.

14. Chicago (7-9)
The Pick: Calais Campbell, DE, Miami*
The buzz: The Bears are looking for help on both lines, though their free agency moves will dictate early draft selections.

15. Detroit (7-9)
The Pick: Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College
The buzz: The Lions must improve their pass protection in order to be considered legitimate playoff contenders.

16. Arizona (8-8)
The Pick: Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas*
The buzz: The Cardinals secondary needs another top cover man. Talib has the versatility to help in other areas as well.

17. Minnesota (8-8)
The Pick: DeSean Jackson, WR, California*
The buzz: The Vikings are looking for playmakers at wideout and in the return game, and Jackson could possibly fill both roles.

18. Houston (8-8)
The Pick: Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois*
The buzz: The Texans are looking to add a young feature back to give some balance to this offensive unit.

19. Philadelphia (8-8)
The Pick: Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida*
The buzz: The Eagles want pass rushers to solidify their front seven on defense. Harvey has proven effective against top-flight competition in the Southeastern Conference.

20. Tampa Bay (9-7)
The Pick: Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona
The buzz: The Buccaneers are looking to rebuild a playoff-caliber defense, especially at cornerback.

21. Washington (9-7)
The Pick: Quentin Groves, DE, Auburn
The buzz: The Redskins are hoping to draft into the strong defensive end class to find an impact pass rusher for their front four.

22. Dallas (from Cleveland (10-6))
The Pick: Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida
The buzz: The Cowboys have big problems at receiver and cornerback that could be addressed with two first-round selections.

23. Pittsburgh (10-6)
The Pick: Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh
The buzz: The Steelers will address their offensive line in this draft, and Otah is a tackle who carries a first-round grade.

24. Tennessee (10-6)
The Pick: Lawrence Jackson, DE, Southern Cal
The buzz: The Titans could face big defensive line losses in free agency. That makes this position a top priority in the draft.

25. Seattle (10-6)
The Pick: Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon*
The buzz: The Seahawks are searching for a young feature back because Shaun Alexander's production has slipped over recent seasons.

26. Jacksonville (11-5)
The Pick: Andre' Woodson, QB, Kentucky
The buzz: The Jaguars are looking to the future at this position, and they like a few prospects in this draft class.

27. San Diego (11-5)
The Pick: Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina
The buzz: The Chargers could surprise here with a fast-rising prospect that fits well into their front three

28. Dallas (13-3)
The Pick: Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan*
The buzz: The Cowboys' receiving corps is thin and aging, and this position should be addressed early this April - possibly with more than one prospect.

29. San Francisco (From Indianapolis (13-3))
The Pick: James Hardy, WR, Indiana*
The buzz: The 49ers have neglected their weak receiving corps long enough. San Francisco needs another playmaker to help Alex Smith realize his potential.

30. Green Bay (13-3)
The Pick: Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas*
The buzz: The Packers will look to address their backfield early in this deep class. Jones would give them an impact weapon in several roles.

31. New England (16-0)
The Pick: Pick forfeited.
The Buzz: No first-round pick because of NFL sanctions following "Spygate" controversy.

32. NY Giants (10-6)
The Pick: Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy State
The buzz: The Big Blue defense is in search of another top-flight cover man opposite last year's top pick, Aaron Ross. McKelvin is also a dangerous return man.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

Re: NFL Mock Draft
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 09:23:57 AM »
Not sure how good of a mock draft this is.....after all it has the Lions picking an OT instead of another WR. Last I'd heard Millen is still in Detroit, but this pick would just make too much sense.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 03:15:31 PM »
No way. The Packers don't need a RB with Grant, Wynn, and Morency at the positions. What they would need though is a really good free safety since they might be getting rid of Nick Collins this next year.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 03:29:09 PM »
Even though we went 5-7, my 'Canes streak of first round picks will still be alive. :hyper:

Gotta have something to happy about.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 03:36:28 PM »
I'd be happy with those picks for the Cowboys.

BTW, this thread reminded me that I need to change my avatar now that my mission of cursing the Patriots has been accomplished.  Three rounds.  Three avatars.  Three "take-outs".  Too bad one of them was my team. :bawl:
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 02:56:05 PM »
I like mock drafts when they are thoughtful. rivals does well and so do a few others. None, however, mean very much in the end. (except for the fun and football talk they entail)

That said, here's another (two round mock) that's not all bad.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

I'd be thrilled if my Hawks ended up getting Rashard Mendenhall. (they need O-line and a TE too but there just are not any first round prospects likely to be around when "we" pick)

Go Football.
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 03:11:00 PM »
I like mock drafts when they are thoughtful. rivals does well and so do a few others. None, however, mean very much in the end. (except for the fun and football talk they entail)

I'd be thrilled if my Hawks ended up getting Rashard Mendenhall. (they need O-line and a TE too but there just are not any first round prospects likely to be around when "we" pick)

Go Football.

How is that realistic when you have the Pats getting the 1st round 7th pick? First off, they lost their 1st round pick, and secondly, it wouldn't have been the 7th pick to begin with as they finished as the second team in the country.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 03:21:44 PM »

Go Football.

How is that realistic when you have the Pats getting the 1st round 7th pick? First off, they lost their 1st round pick, and secondly, it wouldn't have been the 7th pick to begin with as they finished as the second team in the country.

-They got that pick in a trade. (NFL didn't take that away)

-They lost their 2008 #1 pick, which for NE, turned out to be #31

-I didn't say it was "realistic" I said I liked mocks that were thoughtful and fun

-No mock draft will be even close to the real draft due to draft day trades, combine scores, coaches/FO's intentionally misleading the media about best picks and needs. Also the FA has yet to start and that will have a large effect on team needs.

-lastly... damn dude.  :p  :-)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 03:24:08 PM by ReardenSteel »
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 03:24:15 PM »
Exactly.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 10:30:42 AM »
Exactly.

To that end...

My other "home" team (Cincinnati) is seeing the same general story from all the mocks i've looked at so far. DEFENSE!  :lmao:

Between the draft above and the 2 round mock I linked to, they have the Bengals taking a DE, OLB and/or a FS and I cant fault any of the choices. Why is Marvin Lewis sucking so bad on that side of the ball?!? (he's been here for years) The man was supposed to be a defensive guru for Pete's sake!  :(

- Ayn Rand