Author Topic: Jeff Kent makes retirement from Dodgers official  (Read 982 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Jeff Kent makes retirement from Dodgers official
« on: January 24, 2009, 08:25:16 PM »
I wouldn't be a Dodgers fan if I didn't post a thread about the retirement of jeff kent.

I was ambivalent about him signing with LA, but it bothered giants fans so much, I figured that it had to be a good thing.

good luck, jeff kent.  his defense was, in my opinion, denigrated without a real reason.  his range was an issue as he grew older,
but whatever plays that he got to, he usually made.

Jeff Kent makes retirement from Dodgers official

The power-hitting second baseman, 40, retires after 17 seasons. 'I leave this game proud that I have treated this game with the utmost respect. But my time's over,' he says.

Repeatedly biting his lower lip and wiping away tears, Jeff Kent announced his retirement today at a news conference at Dodger Stadium.

Kent, 40, who leaves the game as its most prolific power-hitting second baseman in history, said he knew this day would come two years ago, when the Dodgers signed him to his final contract extension.

"I leave this game proud that I have treated this game with the utmost respect," Kent said. "But my time's over. Thank you."

Kent said he never seriously considered playing another season even though his agent, Jeff Klein, fielded calls from various teams this winter. He said he avoided Klein's calls and didn't work out.

Kent said he was at peace with walking away from the game without ever having won a World Series. His received a World Series ring from the Toronto Blue Jays, who traded him in the middle of their 1992 championship season. Being part of a losing effort with the San Francisco Giants in Game 7 of the 2002 World Series against the Angels was enough for him.

More

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: Jeff Kent makes retirement from Dodgers official
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 08:26:10 PM »
a first ballot hall of famer, to be sure.  a news clip:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9qWyOzqnFk[/youtube]