Author Topic: NFL: Which Team is "Your Team"  (Read 7562 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
NFL: Which Team is "Your Team"
« on: February 02, 2008, 08:55:31 AM »
Which team is your favorite and why. I'm curious about why people like a particular team.
For instance...
My favorite team, even tho it's discouraging, is the Lions. They are my hometown team, doesn't matter which players or coaches are there, win or lose.
Of course....they've sucked forever and a day, and the owner has no real interest in having a championship team...but still, they are my hometown team.

I liked Dallas until the Tuna and TO. I decided not to be a Dallas fan again until both are gone. Halfway there.
Watching the Texans being rebuilt under Kubiak is interesting. I like the Texans. But for some troubling reason....they remind me of the Lions.

Early in any season, I don't like Green Bay.
By mid season when it's obvious the Lions are done (altho the Lions did well until mid season this year), I start liking Green Bay. Esp against Chicago and Minn.
I was really hoping for a Dallas/Green Bay playoff game this year, with a GB win.

I don't like any New York teams, in any sport.
I typically don't like NE, but being undefeated and if they win the SB is pretty damn special. Now those guys from Miami can shut up....and I hope NE doesn't make the play offs next year.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 09:00:29 AM by JackZip »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
Re: NFL: Which Team is "Your Team"
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 09:20:56 AM »
The Bears are primarily my team.

I like the Cowboys and Raiders also, and in that order, despite my burning hatred for their team owner's.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 09:38:39 AM »
The Bears are primarily my team.

I like the Cowboys and Raiders also, and in that order, despite my burning hatred for their team owner's.
Both owners, Davis and Jones?
Davis is killing his club. Sometimes I think Jones is a mad genius for the stuff he pulls off.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 09:42:08 AM »
Both owners, Davis and Jones?
Davis is killing his club. Sometimes I think Jones is a mad genius for the stuff he pulls off.

Yep, I don't like Jones because of the way he handled the Landry firing and what I know about him as a person during his Arkansas oil prospecting before owning the Cowboys.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 11:21:06 AM »
I'm from LA originally so I was Ram's fan until the Raiders came to town. But they both left and now I have no team!  :whatever:
There are Raiders and Cowboys fans in my family but I don't really have a favorite team. I just like to see good games and better playoff teams no matter who they are. I really don't care who plays in the Superbowl just as Long as it's not a "Super Blow-Out".
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 11:31:08 AM »
I'm from LA originally so I was Ram's fan until the Raiders came to town. But they both left and now I have no team!  :whatever:
There are Raiders and Cowboys fans in my family but I don't really have a favorite team. I just like to see good games and better playoff teams no matter who they are. I really don't care who plays in the Superbowl just as Long as it's not a "Super Blow-Out".

I too am a native Los Angeleno and rooted for the Rams for a while after they left (and was there in Atlanta at the SB to see them win).  Eventually, I lost interest in them.  I always have liked the Steelers and the Packers -- they represent the best of the AFC and NFC, respectively (or at least have after their dips in the 80s/90s).  I think they have built teams that can win and their owners seem committed to winning.  And they both have a lot of tradition.

In the Brady era, I have come to really respect NE.  At first I was skeptical and thought Brady was just lucky.  But as the years have gone by I have had to admit that he is one of the best in the game ever at QB. And again, NE has built an organization that is dedicated to winning.  This year's team is the result of an amazing commitment to building one of the best teams ever -- which everyone thought was impossible in the Free Agent era.

I am rooting for the Pats, but I tip my hat to NY.  Eli and crew shut a lot of mouths and the NY defense is much, much better than people realize.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 11:55:19 PM »
Seahawks!  :hyper:

"Hometown" team (kinda sorta). Born in Tacoma WA (McChord AFB) and was 4 years old when Seattle got the franchise, buy the time we moved away (age 8) they had a fan for life. We moved to Oklahoma btw so there were no conflicting loyalties the next few years though I picked up a healthy hatred for the Cowboys.  :p

Moved to Dayton Ohio later where it's about a 75%/25% split between Bengals/Browns. I chose that time to remane a loyal Seattle fan but became a hardcore Buckeye's fan.  :-)
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline vftb

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 12:03:07 AM »
I'll sure be happy when the SF Bay Area gets a team again  ::) ::)
To err is human, to really **** things up you need a computer

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 04:17:50 PM »
Detroit Lions.  :censored: losers. :banghead:
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 10:07:09 PM »
Detroit Lions.  :censored: losers. :banghead:
yeah...I know, ain't that a bitch

but you mark my words.......since the Pats couldn't get it done, it'll be the Lions having the perfect season one day!

:rotf:  :rotf:  :rotf:  :rotf:  :rotf:  :mental:

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 10:12:01 PM »

Packers, baby. Been my team since '95 when I saw Favre beat the Bengals at Lambeau. Kind of sucks that they didn't make it to the SB, but I'm glad to see the team that beat them won. Kind of says something.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline VelvetElvis

• Misunderestimated
  • Drill Sgt for the DeathSquadHateForce
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 06:57:17 AM »
Green Bay Packers.

I've lived most of my life in Northeast Wisconsin, and the Pack is probably the #1 religious denomination in the area, based on attendance at Lambeau for Sunday home games.  How else can you explain the appearance of St. Vince at every game? :-)
Proud Member of the Death Squad Hate Force Since  1980

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 07:48:47 AM »
Titans.  They're the home team.  I know several members of the staff including Jeff Fisher and Alan Lowry.  They're good people on and off the field.  The head office has made quite a few mistakes in the past few years though...they dissed Steve McNair and Eddie George, then hired Pacman Jones.   :mental:

Offline Tucker

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 08:01:20 AM »
Titans.  They're the home team.  I know several members of the staff including Jeff Fisher and Alan Lowry.  They're good people on and off the field.  The head office has made quite a few mistakes in the past few years though...they dissed Steve McNair and Eddie George, then hired Pacman Jones.   :mental:

They'll be my home team as well, after I complete my move back to Tennessee later this year. I will get the Directv Sunday Ticket to watch the Lions tho.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 08:19:22 AM »

NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2008, 08:32:39 AM »
Jacksonville Jaguars. Home team for me. Before the Jags my teams were the Steelers and the 'Fins.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008, 09:09:22 AM »
I don't want to hear anyone bitch about their team.  I have the Falcons as a "hometown" team.  They've never had back to back winning seasons in the history of the franchise.  That's about as bad as it gets.

On a side note, I root for players more than teams.  If you played college ball at "the U" then I root for ya.  So I like some players on all the teams.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 09:14:04 AM »
I don't want to hear anyone bitch about their team.  I have the Falcons as a "hometown" team.  They've never had back to back winning seasons in the history of the franchise.  That's about as bad as it gets.

On a side note, I root for players more than teams.  If you played college ball at "the U" then I root for ya.  So I like some players on all the teams.

I can see that. For me, I absolutley HATE the Bears, but I like Urlacher. The guy has heart, works his ass off on the field, and basically.... if the Bears didn't have him, they'd be ****ed with a capital F.

A lot of Bears fans feel the same way about My Packers and Favre. They hate the Pack, but like and admire Favre.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Tucker

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 09:23:16 AM »

I'm not sure that the Lions have had a winning season since 57. :sarcasm:

Offline HACKSAW

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2008, 12:14:32 PM »
Here are my 2 faves..

And whatever team is playing the Patriots!
Liberals are like Slinkies...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2008, 12:58:58 PM »
Here are my 2 faves..

And whatever team is playing the Patriots!

Last night was the first time I've ever rooted for a Manning.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 01:03:52 PM »

I can see that. For me, I absolutley HATE the Bears, but I like Urlacher. The guy has heart, works his ass off on the field, and basically.... if the Bears didn't have him, they'd be ****ed with a capital F.

A lot of Bears fans feel the same way about My Packers and Favre. They hate the Pack, but like and admire Favre.

FWIIW, I voted last night for Uminyura (sp?) in the 3rd quarter.  He clarly dominated the entire first 3 quarters and was why NE couldn't get on track.  Naming Ely was a cop-out.

Offline Tucker

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2008, 01:13:08 PM »
FWIIW, I voted last night for Uminyura (sp?) in the 3rd quarter.  He clarly dominated the entire first 3 quarters and was why NE couldn't get on track.  Naming Ely was a cop-out.

He did score two 4th quarter points when the pucker factor was in full force, against NE. That's gotta count for something.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2008, 01:25:18 PM »

He did score two 4th quarter points when the pucker factor was in full force, against NE. That's gotta count for something.

Yes it was, but he just jumped into the bed Umenyura made for him.  If the NE D. hadn't held Brady down completely, Eli would have been 21 points behind and never had a chance for the last minute heroics.  You have to look at the whole game, not just the fun part at the end.

The guys in the trenches are who got it done on this SB.  Keeping Eli vertical and Brady horizontal was the difference in the game.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 01:33:45 PM by freedumb2003 »

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2008, 01:31:30 PM »
Yes it was, but he just jumped into the bed Umenyura made for him.  If the NE D. hadn't held Brady down completely, Eli would have been 21 points behind and never had a chance for the last minute heroics.  You have to look at the whole game, not just the fun part at the end.

The guys in the trenches are who got it done on this SB.  Keeping Eli vertical and Brady Horizontal was the difference in the game.

::) How many games has a defense ever won? I mean, let's just assume that the offensive line just stays in the locker room.  :whatever:

The defensive line performed amazingly. The offense is what scored 17 points.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site