Author Topic: one Hell of a problem  (Read 7362 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
one Hell of a problem
« on: October 11, 2008, 05:18:03 PM »
Suddenly this afternoon something popped up on the screen of this computer advising me I had spyware in this computer.

The program is something called "Virus Response Lab 2009," and appears to come from Microsoft, although I'm not sure.

I tried to register it for a free evaluation, but no workee.

Okay, how do I clear all this damned stuff off this computer?

apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: one Hell of a problem
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 05:27:31 PM »
Normally I would say buy a new computer.

But for you, I suggest Spybot: http://www.spybot-se.com/

It is a free download and does a heck of a good job in disinfecting your PC.

If you don't have an antivirus, get AVG -- http://www.avg.com/ -- which is free.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 06:23:19 PM »
Frank DO NOT register for anything using that!

It actually INSTALS spywares and virus programs rather than  fixing them.

Get someone who knows computers to walk you through a system restore to a date a few days back and then buy an anti-virus/anti spyware prog.

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 06:24:48 PM »
Frank DO NOT register for anything using that!

It actually INSTALS spywares and virus programs rather than  fixing them.

Get someone who knows computers to walk you through a system restore to a date a few days back and then buy an anti-virus/anti spyware prog.

Both AVG and Spybot are clean -- I have used both extensively.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 06:44:21 PM »
Both AVG and Spybot are clean -- I have used both extensively.

I think he was referring to the pop-up that "told" frank he had a virus.  Virus Response Lab 2009 is malware.

http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?locale=de&forumId=1&comments_parentId=176301
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 06:52:21 PM »
I use Spybot S & D, also Ad-Aware , Both have found things the other has missed. The third thing I use is Windows Defender , a free program from Microsoft.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 07:11:05 PM »
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 07:24:41 PM »
I use Spybot S & D, also Ad-Aware , Both have found things the other has missed. The third thing I use is Windows Defender , a free program from Microsoft.

Before you use WD, check this out:

[youtube=425,350]jOh6Nh8w6f8[/youtube]

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 11:11:15 PM »
Before you use WD, check this out:

[youtube=425,350]jOh6Nh8w6f8[/youtube]

*snort* LOL

That was good.

Offline asdf2231

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 02:23:25 AM »
I think he was referring to the pop-up that "told" frank he had a virus.  Virus Response Lab 2009 is malware.

http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?locale=de&forumId=1&comments_parentId=176301

Yeah that!

Offline asdf2231

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 02:24:37 AM »
Trend Micro Internet Security is a winner too.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 02:44:57 AM »
Apparently Frank didn't listen.  See my thread elsewhere.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 04:32:27 AM »
Apparently Frank didn't listen.  See my thread elsewhere.

:-)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 03:13:54 PM »
TrendMicro.com, AVG and AdAware, Spybot S&D are all good  malware removers. CCleaner catches some. The one thing I have experienced is that IF one doesn't have these programs already installed, some viruses/ malware will restrict access to those sites. One PC, I had to actually download AVG onto a different PC (I have 4 of them at home), burn it onto a cd and THEN install it from the cd onto the infected PC.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Woody

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 11:44:34 PM »
Credentials:  I fix the damned things for a living. 

Do a System Restore to a time before you installed this.  Get Windows Defender, as mentioned above.  Also get Spybot Search and Destroy, and run it, but don't run the TeaTimer or anything in the background. 

The correct link for AVG's free software is http://free.avg.com/download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition  Avast also has a free antivirus program that's pretty good.

Finally, I recommend that all of my users use Firefox for web browsing.  Internet Explorer just isn't as secure.  (Although you still need it for some things, like Windows Update.)

If it's still causing trouble, there are a few other things you can do.  Reply here if it's still giving you fits, and I can give you some pointers for free diagnosing and repair. 

Woody
Those who see their lives as spoiled and wasted crave equality and fraternity more than they do freedom. If they clamor for freedom, it is but freedom to establish equality and uniformity. The passion for equality is partly a passion for anonymity: to be one thread of the many which make up a tunic; one thread not distinguishable from the others. No one can then point us out, measure us against others and expose our inferiority.
-Eric Hoffer, "The True Believer", 1951

Offline Chris_

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 12:08:33 AM »
Credentials:  I fix the damned things for a living. 

Do a System Restore to a time before you installed this.  Get Windows Defender, as mentioned above.  Also get Spybot Search and Destroy, and run it, but don't run the TeaTimer or anything in the background. 

The correct link for AVG's free software is http://free.avg.com/download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition  Avast also has a free antivirus program that's pretty good.

Finally, I recommend that all of my users use Firefox for web browsing.  Internet Explorer just isn't as secure.  (Although you still need it for some things, like Windows Update.)

If it's still causing trouble, there are a few other things you can do.  Reply here if it's still giving you fits, and I can give you some pointers for free diagnosing and repair. 

Woody

Are you not thinking you should be installing these software devices? 

If answering the phones you are then assuming in India you are being?

;)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 04:43:32 PM »
Okay, as others have probably figured out by now, I could never get that Virus Research Lab 2009 thing to respond.  At first thinking it legitimate, I tried to register, but it wouldn't let me register.  It took 15 or so minutes before I speculated, uh, this doesn't seem legit.....but it never did allow me to register anyway.

So no harm done. 

However, I am curious about something.  I already had Norton--updated and good and all that--but Norton never caught this thing.  I took the suggestion of freedumb, and downloaded and installed that thing.....but it never detected this virus lab either.  I downloaded and installed a third anti-virulent.....but it never detected that thing either.

At that point, I decided, oops, it might be a good idea to get off the internet.

Just before doing that, I checked Outlook Express, which opened, and then something similar to a three-mile-long strip of adding-machine paper stubbornly adhered to the right side of the screen of Outlook Express, repeating hundreds and hundreds of times the same thing, the same line over and over and over "connecting to [my internet service provider]."

That was when I yanked the connection cord to the internet.

And thus my comment to Mr. Wiggum, which perhaps seemed odd to him, given that Mr. Wiggum had no knowledge of the script I had devised for our telephone conversation, that I find anti-virulents all but useless.  Why did their "findings" vary so much, from 19 threats to 211 threats?

The next morning, Sunday morning, I gave it all one last Boy Scout try.  I turned on the computer (with the connection to the internet still unconnected), and ran a disc scan.  The disc scan said everything was okay, and after it got done, up again popped the Virus Research Lab 2009.

This time, however, the message was different; it said if I paid $79.95, it would remove the threats.

Immediately after which I got out the wire-cutters, screwdrivers, and hammer, reducing the thing to Rice-Krispies-sized pieces of black plastic and metallic metal.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008, 05:12:17 PM »

Immediately after which I got out the wire-cutters, screwdrivers, and hammer, reducing the thing to Rice-Krispies-sized pieces of black plastic and metallic metal.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Woody

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2008, 08:37:01 PM »

That's definitely one option.  My brother "drop tested" his PC once - Surprisingly, it failed the three-story drop.  I took a frustrating hard drive to the shooting range once, and it turned out to be the best possible use of that drive.

Part of the problem was that clicking on the "alert" installed the software.  Most anti-malware programs won't stop user actions, and try to warn you beforehand.  Although MS is working on this with Vista (by popping up an "are you sure?" that everybody clicks anyway...  We learn to crawl before we learn to walk, I guess.)

I don't normally do this, but you might want to look at a Mac.  Apple computers work "as advertised".  They're a bit more expensive, but you don't get targeted by software like that.  (Because Apple is only 15% of the market.)  And the software is very user-friendly. 

On the downside, if you buy a Mac, you need to get regular manicures and start wearing v-neck sweaters...
Those who see their lives as spoiled and wasted crave equality and fraternity more than they do freedom. If they clamor for freedom, it is but freedom to establish equality and uniformity. The passion for equality is partly a passion for anonymity: to be one thread of the many which make up a tunic; one thread not distinguishable from the others. No one can then point us out, measure us against others and expose our inferiority.
-Eric Hoffer, "The True Believer", 1951

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2008, 09:19:02 PM »
That's definitely one option.  My brother "drop tested" his PC once - Surprisingly, it failed the three-story drop.  I took a frustrating hard drive to the shooting range once, and it turned out to be the best possible use of that drive.

Part of the problem was that clicking on the "alert" installed the software.  Most anti-malware programs won't stop user actions, and try to warn you beforehand.  Although MS is working on this with Vista (by popping up an "are you sure?" that everybody clicks anyway...  We learn to crawl before we learn to walk, I guess.)

I don't normally do this, but you might want to look at a Mac.  Apple computers work "as advertised".  They're a bit more expensive, but you don't get targeted by software like that.  (Because Apple is only 15% of the market.)  And the software is very user-friendly. 

On the downside, if you buy a Mac, you need to get regular manicures and start wearing v-neck sweaters...

And crocs.....

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2008, 11:58:33 AM »
Macs are not immune to viruses. Hell, I'd opt for a pc that runs Linux. That's even less virus prone than the Macs.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2008, 03:51:44 PM »
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2008, 07:45:46 PM »
Hey Sarge, I'll bet you wear those Camo Crocs.........   :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: