Author Topic: "Top 5" Sports Markets  (Read 10490 times)

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Re: "Top 5" Sports Markets
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2008, 04:28:41 PM »
Uh, Boston isn't in the top five?!!

It's an opinion.  Boston would have been in the top 5, along with SF, if the question was "Top 5 Sports Markets for Homos and Assorted Liberal Freaks."  It wasn't.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 04:31:17 PM by USA4ME »
Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2008, 05:44:50 PM »
It's an opinion.  Boston would have been in the top 5, along with SF, if the question was "Top 5 Sports Markets for Homos and Assorted Liberal Freaks."  It wasn't.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA. 

:bawl:  <---   there is no crying in baseball, or sports, or sports forums.   Mmmmmkay? 

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2008, 06:46:36 PM »
Well, you're going to have to accept that your criteria for "Top 5 Sports Markets" may not be what everyone else uses.  Or not.  Doesn't matter to me.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 06:48:57 PM by USA4ME »

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2008, 07:03:07 PM »
Well, you're going to have to accept that your criteria for "Top 5 Sports Markets" may not be what everyone else uses.  Or not.  Doesn't matter to me.

Sparky outlined what the criteria is in the OP.   

Houston, I will giggle about all day...... 

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2008, 07:06:32 PM »
Sparky outlined what the criteria is in the OP.

He said...

My criteria:

Not THE criteria.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2008, 07:14:31 PM »
He said...

Not THE criteria.

::)

He also said Defend your choices and all you have done is whine about "homos" and "liberal freaks" which is relevant how to this conversation? 

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2008, 07:30:11 PM »

::)

He also said Defend your choices and all you have done is whine about "homos" and "liberal freaks" which is relevant how to this conversation? 

I just said that stuff for fun.

Even given his criteria, I still wouldn't have Boston in the Top 5.  It's OK though.  Really, it is.  If someone makes a list and doesn't include NY or Chicago, that's up to them, it wouldn't bother me in the least.  I figure they have their reasons and good for them.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2008, 08:25:06 PM »
I just said that stuff for fun.

Even given his criteria, I still wouldn't have Boston in the Top 5.  It's OK though.  Really, it is.  If someone makes a list and doesn't include NY or Chicago, that's up to them, it wouldn't bother me in the least.  I figure they have their reasons and good for them.

Uh-huh. 

Our Best Sports City rankings, which look at the 12 months from roughly October 2007 to October 2008, are based on point values assigned to various categories, including but not limited to won-lost records, postseason appearances, applicable power ratings, number of teams and attendance.

1. Boston

2. Detroit

3. Dallas

4. New York

5. Philadelphia

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=468401

Team Current Value ($mil) 1-Yr Value Change (%) Debt/Value (%) Revenue ($mil) Operating Income ($mil)
1  Dallas Cowboys 1,612  7  39  269  30.6 
2  Washington Redskins 1,538  5  16  327  58.1 
3  New England Patriots 1,324  10  21  282  39.2 
4  New York Giants 1,178  21  55  214  41.2 
5  New York Jets 1,170  21  68  213  25.9

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/30/sportsmoney_nfl08_NFL-Team-Valuations_Rank.html

Most Valuable MLB Teams
1. New York Yankees
2. New York Mets
3. Boston Red Sox
4. Los Angeles Dodgers
5. Chicago Cubs

http://www.forbes.com/2008/04/16/baseball-team-values-bix-sports-baseball08-cx_mo_kb_0416baseball_land.html

Rank   
1   New York City Area   New York Dragons  New York Mets  New York Red Bulls  New York Knicks  New York Giants  New York Rangers
                                 New York Yankees  New Jersey Nets  New York Jets  New Jersey Devils  New York Islanders
2 Los Angeles               Los Angeles Avengers   Los Angeles Dodgers   Chivas USA   Los Angeles Clippers  Los Angeles Kings
                                 Los Angeles Angels   Los Angeles Galaxy   Los Angeles Lakers  Anaheim Ducks
3 Chicago                    Chicago Rush  Chicago Cubs  Chicago Fire  Chicago Bulls  Chicago Bears  Chicago Blackhawks
                                 Chicago White Sox     
4 Washington / Baltimore  Washington Nationals  DC United  Washington Wizards  Washington Redskins  Washington Capitals
                                    Baltimore Orioles   Baltimore Ravens 
5 Boston                        Boston Red Sox  New England Revolution  Boston Celtics  New England Patriots  Boston Bruins

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TV_markets_and_major_sports_teams

The common factor in a few of the rankings I pulled off google is of course Boston, which supports the criteria as outlined in the OP.   

Boston/New England has a huge market.  Couple in the success its teams has enjoyed this past decade, they are most certainly in the top five and #1 and 2 in many rankings.   

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2008, 06:52:23 AM »
The common factor ..........

Whatever.

Someone PM'd me and told me you've got some hard-on for BeanTown.  That explains a lot.  You've made it quite clear to everyone that, in your opinion, they're in the Top 5.  But to me just because a city has a huge market or their team has had recent success doesn't make them a top sport's market.  There are other criteria that outweigh those and it was left up to the individual to use their own criteria.

Look, it's only Boston.  No big deal.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2008, 01:29:48 PM »
Whatever.

Someone PM'd me and told me you've got some hard-on for BeanTown. 

:lmao:

Amateurs.     

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2008, 09:44:52 AM »
 :rotf:

I just noticed my bitch slaps.   Hurt wittle feelings?  Touch a nerve?

HAHAHAHAHAHA.   

You saying something about homos?........................

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2008, 11:42:40 AM »
2 Los Angeles              Los Angeles Avengers   Los Angeles Dodgers   Chivas USA   Los Angeles Clippers  Los Angeles Kings
                                 Los Angeles Angels   Los Angeles Galaxy   Los Angeles Lakers  Anaheim Ducks

Hey, FL, I thought we were talking about professional teams in professional sports.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2008, 11:54:09 AM »
Hey, FL, I thought we were talking about professional teams in professional sports.

That was a tv market ranking, which included those teams.   LA has a significant market which is evident by the two MLB teams they support in a large fashion moneywise.   

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2008, 11:55:25 AM »
:rotf:

I just noticed my bitch slaps.   Hurt wittle feelings?  Touch a nerve?

HAHAHAHAHAHA.   

You saying something about homos?........................  

Paranoid much?  I'm the one who noted that these lists are just an opinion, hardly anything to get concerned about.  You're the one who got all worked up over it and commented to my choices, not the other way around.

As far as H5's and BS's, I don't pay attention to that junk, so you're barking up the wrong tree.  Just like when there's these threads of "Congrats on 2,000 posts!!!!," I don't mess with that either.  Ask around, there's several people on this site who have known me for at least 4 years.  What you're describing just isn't me.  I pounce on libs, not on junk like this.

Now if you've got something you want to discuss, PM me and I'll be more than happy to address you.  You'll find I'm a very pleasant person.  Otherwise it's an opinion question, I treated that way, and that's all it is.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2008, 11:58:09 AM »
Paranoid much?  I'm the one who noted that these lists are just an opinion, hardly anything to get concerned about.  You're the one who got all worked up over it and commented to my choices, not the other way around.

As far as H5's and BS's, I don't pay attention to that junk, so you're barking up the wrong tree.  Just like when there's these threads of "Congrats on 2,000 posts!!!!," I don't mess with that either.  Ask around, there's several people on this site who have known me for at least 4 years.  What you're describing just isn't me.  I pounce on libs, not on junk like this.

Now if you've got something you want to discuss, PM me and I'll be more than happy to address you.  You'll find I'm a very pleasant person.  Otherwise it's an opinion question, I treated that way, and that's all it is.

I don't pay attention to it either.  In sports it's all smack and that is all it is -- nothing personal so certainly don't take it that way.