Author Topic: connection question  (Read 2809 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
connection question
« on: October 19, 2008, 05:17:22 PM »
Last night, Saturday night, just out of simple curiosity, I plugged the internet connection into this woefully-inadequate computer (because it has Windows 98; something better is coming along, but one must be patient).

It would not connect last night, so I figured, well, connecting is more complicated than what I had done.

But just minutes ago, after the computer had been shut down for a day, just out of curiosity, I tried it again, and presto! it connected.

Now, this is just TEMPORARY.

It would not connect to all web-sites tried (freerepublic, connectingpoint), but by magic it connected here.

Now, am I screwing something up by doing this, rather than waiting for the new unit and having it professionally installed?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: connection question
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 05:33:04 PM »
Last night, Saturday night, just out of simple curiosity, I plugged the internet connection into this woefully-inadequate computer (because it has Windows 98; something better is coming along, but one must be patient).

It would not connect last night, so I figured, well, connecting is more complicated than what I had done.

But just minutes ago, after the computer had been shut down for a day, just out of curiosity, I tried it again, and presto! it connected.

Now, this is just TEMPORARY.

It would not connect to all web-sites tried (freerepublic, connectingpoint), but by magic it connected here.

Now, am I screwing something up by doing this, rather than waiting for the new unit and having it professionally installed?

No.

Your connection is like a blind and deaf prostitute -- it doesn't care who is screwed in.

All network connections are pretty much "agnostic."  Again, like a prostitute, they look for the nearest (or only if it is a wireful connection) machine and the 2 talk, negotiate the protocol ("hello" "my name is xxxx" "we gonna get it on?", etc.).

This is NOT a problem -- rather, it is a good sign.

FWIIW, older computers would cache data in the network cards -- so you would have to shut them off 5-10 minutes for them to clear out old info.

You are fine, Coach.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 05:38:40 PM »

No.

Your connection is like a blind and deaf prostitute -- it doesn't care who is screwed in.

All network connections are pretty much "agnostic."  Again, like a prostitute, they look for the nearest (or only if it is a wireful connection) machine and the 2 talk, negotiate the protocol ("hello" "my name is xxxx" "we gonna get it on?", etc.).

FWIIW, older computers would cache data in the network cards -- so you would have to shut them off 5-10 minutes for them to clear out old info.

You are fine, Coach.

Well, it has since connected with the other web-sites, including that of my internet service provider.

It's just a temporary fix, as a new tower and hard-drive are on the way, but it's good to have at least tenuous precarious connection.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 05:42:34 PM »

No.

LOL !

That's Good !

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 02:23:08 PM »

No.

You are fine, Coach.

Till you get a virus!    :tongue:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.