Author Topic: MLB Playoff Thread  (Read 16293 times)

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
MLB Playoff Thread
« on: September 29, 2008, 09:13:53 AM »
Bring it, bitches!

Oh, and...

YOUR 2008 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS...

“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
Re: MLB Playoff Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 10:21:42 AM »
I'll be more excited about the playoffs if the White Sox don't screw it up today, but if they don't, I'll be rooting for the American League team in the WS for sure.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 03:31:22 PM »
Vegas has the Angels and Cubs set as the favorites to reach the World Series with Boston as a close third. Milwaukee is done with Sheets shutting it down, but, the LA/Cubs series will be a dogfight. The Twins are hot as can be right now so I think they'll make it and I look for the Angels to get it done with Beckett crying about his obliques now.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 03:58:08 PM »
Ah, Soxtober is upon us, the fresh smell of autumn in the air.   

100 wins means nothing now my friend.   It's showtime.   

Beckett or no Beckett, the game is on and my boys know how to bring it. 

Let the games begin gentlemen.   

:popcorn:

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 04:12:42 PM »
Vegas has the Angels and Cubs set as the favorites to reach the World Series with Boston as a close third. Milwaukee is done with Sheets shutting it down, but, the LA/Cubs series will be a dogfight. The Twins are hot as can be right now so I think they'll make it and I look for the Angels to get it done with Beckett crying about his obliques now.

I understand... Vegas sneezed and totally missed it every time the Phils beat the Cubs this year.  I forgive them.   :popcorn:

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 04:30:57 PM »

I understand... Vegas sneezed and totally missed it every time the Phils beat the Cubs this year.  I forgive them.   :popcorn:

They could go. But, a 4-3 record against the Cubs and a straight split with the Dodgers isn't a strong indication of the potential success they'll face against either teams.

ETA: Modified head to head record
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 08:12:01 PM by Odin's Hand »

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 04:38:26 PM »

They could go. But, a 3-4 record against the Cubs and a straight split with the Dodgers isn't a strong indication of the potential success they'll face against either teams.

Regular season games are not the same animal as the playoffs.   

Who chokes in the playoffs?  Cubs, Phils, Angels......

Does that mean anything this year?  no (well, save for k-rod who aside from 2002 really has not done well in the playoffs -- add to the fact that his media claims he is "tired" and that leaves him a big question mark).   

Baseball, y'all know we live for this game (sorry Manny -- but real baseball fans care).   :afro:

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 05:12:05 PM »

They could go. But, a 3-4 record against the Cubs and a straight split with the Dodgers isn't a strong indication of the potential success they'll face against either teams.

Not to nitpick, but we're 4-3 against the Cubs, with wins against Zambrano and Lily.  And we would have beaten out LA too if it weren't for rotation weaknesses we've since corrected.

All I'm sayin' is we match up nice against anyone.  I'm not gonna say much more than that, baseball gods being the dicks they are, but we match up nice.  That's all.   :cheersmate:

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 05:39:31 PM »

Does that mean anything this year?  no (well, save for k-rod who aside from 2002 really has not done well in the playoffs -- add to the fact that his media claims he is "tired" and that leaves him a big question mark).   

Baseball, y'all know we live for this game (sorry Manny -- but real baseball fans care).   :afro:

:thatsright:  For the last time, we do NOT have a history of choking in the playoffs...

... because we so rarely make it in  :(

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 06:01:24 PM »

:thatsright:  For the last time, we do NOT have a history of choking in the playoffs...

... because we so rarely make it in  :(

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/phi/history/postseason_results.jsp

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 06:20:03 PM »
Is everything set?  As much as I travel, I just can't keep up.

I know the Angels finished with 100 wins and the Dodgers squeaked the West.

Other than that, I got nothing.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 08:09:39 PM »

You'd better hope so, because, the Red Sox got smoked by the Angels and split with the Rays and Twins.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 08:49:38 PM »

You'd better hope so, because, the Red Sox got smoked by the Angels and split with the Rays and Twins.

The season starts Wednesday.    :popcorn:

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 08:18:42 AM »
And we'll just continue where we left off.  K-Rod is tired?  Boo-freakin hoo.  So's half your staff.  So's Pedroia, Drew, Papi, Lowell, and Youk.  You had to pray the Yanks choked in September to make it in.  You didn't control your own destiny.  You still don't.

See ya tomorrow night.  Hope your boys have their vacation plans set up for next week.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 11:36:38 AM »
Are you kidding me right now?   

HAHAHAHAHAHA.   I am sorry, who the hell is in your division again?   You played 54+ games against teams who finished under .500 --- ooh, ya'll are so b-a-a-a-a-d.     

:rotf:

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 11:44:25 AM »

HAHAHAHAHAHA.   I am sorry, who the hell is in your division again?   You played 54+ games against teams who finished under .500 --- ooh, ya'll are so b-a-a-a-a-d.     

And finished a combined 15-4 against the vaunted Yankees/Red Sox juggernaut.

Or not. 

Like I said, I like my chances.  And who the hell talks shit when they finish the year looking UP at the Rays? 

Fly that Wild Card 2008 pennant proudly, Red Sox Nation.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 12:47:58 PM »

And finished a combined 15-4 against the vaunted Yankees/Red Sox juggernaut.

Or not. 

Like I said, I like my chances.  And who the hell talks shit when they finish the year looking UP at the Rays? 

Fly that Wild Card 2008 pennant proudly, Red Sox Nation.

You liked your chances in 2004 and 2007 too.   

I know I know... this year is different......

:lmao:

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 02:06:51 PM »
Ya better damned well believe it.  Even your own sportswriters are running scared:

LINK

<excerpt>

As most every Red Sox follower is certain to point out in the next 24-36 hours, there are more than just five months difference between April and October; the games now are entirely different. The Angels had home field advantage against the Red Sox in 2004 only to be unceremoniously swept from the first round of the playoffs in three lopsided games. Last year, the series opened in Boston and the Angels similarly were blown off the field.

In such cases, history is a convenient crutch, though we all know the truth: Those games mean nothing now. The Los Angeles lineups encountered by the Sox in 2004 and 2007 were quite different from the one the Sox will encounter now, and not solely because of Teixeira's arrival. Torii Hunter has since joined these Angels, arriving as a free agent in the offseason. Garret Anderson is healthy this year (unlike last) and someone like Jose Guillen has not been suspended (as he was in 2004), which means that Red Sox pitchers are going to have a far more difficult time pitching to the Angels in 2008 than they did in either '04 or '07.

Please, don't rely on history as a factor in this series. Of all people, Boston fans should know better. If the Red Sox win Game 1 and doubts start creeping into the heads of Angels players, it has a great deal more to do with mental toughness (or lack thereof) than it does with anything that took place on the field last year or in '04.

Relative to '04 and '07, Red Sox pitchers are going to have their hands full in this series because the Angels can score in more ways now. Since joining the Angels, Teixeira has batted .358 with 13 home runs, 43 RBIs, 39 runs scored and 32 walks (against just 23 strikeouts) in 54 games; he has slugged .632 and has an OPS of 1.081. During that same period of time, Garret Anderson has been all but reborn, batting .335. (He went 8 for 10 in his first two games with Teixeira in the lineup.) Meanwhile, Vladimir Guerrero went from batting .284 and slugging .478 (before Teixeira) to hitting .345 and slugging .614 (after Teixeira).

=================================================================================

It's a very different team than the one you faced even last year, toots.  Fly that 2008 Wild Card banner with pride.  It's the only one you're going to get.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 03:38:55 PM »
Until you win one against them in the playoffs, then the Angels have the monkey on their back.    It is the Angels who have to deal with that tomorrow night, not the Red Sox. 

I can't stomach Massarotti when he was on the big show and I sure as hell am not reading anything he writes.    Ron Borges junior.   

Boston has injuries and we lost a slugger this year.  They are the underdogs across the board.   You better pray the Angels sweep them, cause anything less than that and I will never...

ever

ever

....let you live it down.   E-V-E-R.

I have no worries cause I know how this team performs in the clutch.  You really can't say the same can you?

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 10:12:13 PM »
Twins lose.  :( Damn it. I wanted to give ALS hell for the White Sox sliding their way out of the playoffs.

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 01:10:02 AM »
Twins lose.  :( Damn it. I wanted to give ALS hell for the White Sox sliding their way out of the playoffs.

And what a win, baby!  :-)

I just hope the Sox can keep up the steam as they head to Tampa. The Sox are 2-5 against them this year, but it's October, so who knows.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 08:06:45 AM »
I have no worries cause I know how this team performs in the clutch.  You really can't say the same can you?

Actually, I do.  And I've no doubt you'll soon find out.

Like I said, don't go buying those WS tickets yet unless you have a hotel in Anaheim set up.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 03:27:26 PM »

Actually, I do.  And I've no doubt you'll soon find out.

Like I said, don't go buying those WS tickets yet unless you have a hotel in Anaheim set up.

Your line-up pads their stats this season against chump teams and it's  --- watch out, things are different people.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2008, 05:39:47 AM »
That's one.*

How's that monkey on your back feeling?    :popcorn:

* y'all knew they weren't going to lose on my birthday right? 

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2008, 08:41:19 AM »
Jesus H. Tapdancin Christ.  One friggin win and you'd think you've got the World Series all wrapped up.

Lighten up, Francis.  You and bully ought to get together--seems you two share the same brain.  Then again, it's the Red Sox Nation, so maybe all of you share a single brain.

A single, teenie, weenie, decayed brain.