Author Topic: A blind squirrel finds a nut  (Read 691 times)

Offline Mary Ann

A blind squirrel finds a nut
« on: December 02, 2022, 01:21:50 PM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100217427609

ripcord (3,564 posts)

Can someone explain how the windfall profits tax and oil companies will help consumer

Am I wrong in thinking that the tax won't come out of the company's profits but will be passed on to drivers thereby increasing the cost of gas?
I have pointed this out to a couple of my lib friends of FB. Their reaction is usually along the lines of "OMG." Like I'm really stupid, or something.

Offline SVPete

Re: A blind squirrel finds a nut
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 02:15:29 PM »
Be careful not to point out that corporations never pay taxes, because the tax $$ comes from what customers pay for the corporations' products/services. Telling them that might cause some of your Prog friends to need to go to the ER. :rotf:

As for LIEden's "windfall profits" tax, have oil companies' profit percentages increased to a significant degree? Or is LIEden just making meaningless Prog-placating noises?

LIEden and other Progs would not understand this, but besieged people dig in and strengthen their defenses, not engage in risky ventures.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online jukin

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 03:03:00 PM »
Yes this is very, very stupid. Been tried in the past several times and produced the opposite of its supposed intention but pales in comparison to what the EU has just done, They have price capped the amount they will pay for Russian oil at $60/bbl. Sue it is insanity but they did it.

I envision the conversation between the EU and Russia to go somewhat like this:

EU: We will not pay more than $60/bbl of your Russian oil.

Russia: Then you will have none of our oil.

EU: But... But... but we need your oil you must sell it to us.

Russia: NYET!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 10:55:02 AM by jukin »
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 05:34:45 PM »
ripcord (3,564 posts)

Can someone explain how the windfall profits tax and oil companies will help consumer

Am I wrong in thinking that the tax won't come out of the company's profits but will be passed on to drivers thereby increasing the cost of gas?

Ripcord, you DO NOT have the post count to survive asking a question like that at the DUmp.

I foresee a midnight visit from a MIRT team in your future, lad...
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 09:03:03 PM »
More like a nut just happened to fall from the tree, hitting the unsuspecting squirrel in the head.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 11:24:45 AM by ADsOutburst »

Offline Karin

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 08:18:04 AM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100217427609

I have pointed this out to a couple of my lib friends of FB. Their reaction is usually along the lines of "OMG." Like I'm really stupid, or something.

How do you react to OMG?  Remember when Jen Psaki said "that's absurd" about the effect of these sorts of taxes.   

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2022, 08:50:25 AM »
How do you react to OMG?  Remember when Jen Psaki said "that's absurd" about the effect of these sorts of taxes.
There is no response to someone who refuses to acknowledge that anyone else can have a legitimate opinion. As my DH says, "Cesspools are gross, so you don't swim in them." Good advice. I stay away from FB "discussions."

Offline SVPete

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2022, 09:08:20 AM »

Many people, when faced with a choice between facts and what they want to be true choose the latter and lash out at the messenger communicating facts. Shoot the messenger is a human thing so old that I'm sure it dates to the first humans.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.