Author Topic: the nl east and the nl west will be a RACE down to the wire.  (Read 48224 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: the nl east and the nl west will be a RACE down to the wire.
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2008, 06:52:57 PM »
That was abyssmal. Webb's and Cruz's crappy pitchy outings. Upton's missed catch in the outfield. Argh. We can't blame this on anyone else but ourselves. Our bullpen and offense are on life support. What happened? 

It's just a 1 1/2 game lead by the Dodgers in the division but based on today's D-backs performance, I suddenly have this urge to go cry in the corner.  :bawl:

I think the organization cursed it. Yeah, that's it.  :evillaugh: They started taking entries for the postseason tickets lottery. I signed up the first day. I blew it!  :-)

it's just a .5 game lead, I believe.  don't despair, my dear.  there is at least one more 5+ game losing streak in this year's dodgers, I feel
it in my bones.

I knew it would come down to september, and I even said it would come down to the last week.  Az has a trip to StL left, if I recall.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2008, 05:59:50 AM »
That was abyssmal. Webb's and Cruz's crappy pitchy outings. Upton's missed catch in the outfield. Argh. We can't blame this on anyone else but ourselves. Our bullpen and offense are on life support. What happened? 

It's just a 1 1/2 game lead by the Dodgers in the division but based on today's D-backs performance, I suddenly have this urge to go cry in the corner.  :bawl:

I think the organization cursed it. Yeah, that's it.  :evillaugh: They started taking entries for the postseason tickets lottery. I signed up the first day. I blew it!  :-)

it's just a .5 game lead, I believe.  don't despair, my dear.  there is at least one more 5+ game losing streak in this year's dodgers, I feel
it in my bones.

I knew it would come down to september, and I even said it would come down to the last week.  Az has a trip to StL left, if I recall.

Funny--I said the same thing about the NL East to Red.  And it will come down to the last week.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2008, 09:44:49 PM »
:badmood: :maddernhell:

Being a Phillie fan is a lot like being a coke fiend.  You know you're wasting your life, but you just... can't... stop!   :banghead: :bawl:

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2008, 05:21:22 AM »

Being a Phillie fan is a lot like being a coke fiend.  You know you're wasting your life, but you just... can't... stop!   :banghead: :bawl:

Games like last night are why we went out and spent $137.5 million.  Red, one more thing--from the post immediately above yours:

Quote from: BlueStateSaint
Funny--I said the same thing about the NL East to Red.  And it will come down to the last week.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2008, 07:01:39 AM »

Games like last night are why we went out and spent $137.5 million.  Red, one more thing--from the post immediately above yours:

Quote from: BlueStateSaint

:cheersmate:  How is it I get more encouragement from a Mets fan on this board then my own kind on Philly.com?

Wait... don't answer that :lalala:

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2008, 12:49:53 AM »

LA looked like they were about to drop two in a row to the last place padres, but rallied for
2 runs in the 8th and 3 more in the 9th to beat SD 6-2.  andre ethier was 2-4 with 4 RBIs --
he was responsible for all 5 runs scored in the last two innings -- and scored what was then
the go ahead run in the 8th to put the dodgers up 3-2.  he followed that with a 3 run double
in the ninth.

Az lose a tough one in the bottom of the ninth against SF, and LA takes a very shaky 2.5
game lead in the west.

it's getting hard to watch. :-)

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2008, 04:36:11 AM »
Carlos Delgado has very near 1600 feet-worth of HRs in his last two games (four HRs in those two games).  The first one he hit, last night, was 20 feet up on the part of the scoreboard closest to center field--it was conservatively estimated to be 440 feet.  That one put the Mets up 5-2.  But, after Ollie Perez allowed the Nats to go up 7-5, the Mets tied it at 7, then allowed the Nats one more run . . . at which point I went to bed, knowing that the Mets would come back.  Cur the bottom of the sixth.  Carlos Beltran hit a 2-run shot in the bottom of the sixth, making it 9-8, and two pitches later, Delgado hit one to the back of the Mets' bullpen.  The chants of "MVP!  MVP!  MVP!" are getting louder as the days wear on . . . Mets win 10-8, and Florida held up their end by beating the Phillthies, by the same score.  Mets back up by 2 1/2.

If I were a pitcher facing Delgado now, I'd walk him, even if the bases were loaded.

Chase her.

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2008, 07:11:04 AM »
The Phils sure know how to throw their seasons away with style, huh.  Kendrick's given up something in the neighborhood of fifteen hundred runs in his last 3 starts... I don't know why Happ isn't making his starts for him.  It'd would've have been nice to not be down 7-1 in the top of the second.  It was nicer to see us come ALLLLLLLLLLLL the way back from 9-1, to lose 10-8.  With two men on base in both the 6th, 7th, and 8th. 

Bluestate, if Kendrick were facing Delgado now, I wouldn't trust him to hit his spot on the IW.  I'd have to bring in Durbin to do it.

Offline jendf

« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2008, 06:07:17 PM »
That's it. I give up. Anyone recommend a nice cliff I can jump off of? :banghead:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2008, 06:14:42 PM »
That's it. I give up. Anyone recommend a nice cliff I can jump off of? :banghead:

Follow uh-bam-uh.  You might see an unused throne/crown combination off to the side.  Ignore it.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2008, 08:26:16 PM »

I saw that your guys lost in the ninth again this afternoon.  but this isn't over, jen.  these teams seem to like each other too much to let much space get between them in the standings. :wink:

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2008, 09:44:40 PM »

I feel your pain.  In fact, it's a painful infection.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2008, 12:34:14 AM »

manny ramirez was 2-5 with 2 HRs and 4 RBI.  ramirez was OPSing 1.235  (395/.491/.744)  as a dodger before tonight.
james loney also homered.  brad penny, who just came off the DL, was brought in to start the 7th and was unable to get an
out.  corey wade managed to get out of a bases loaded no out jam with only a run scoring.

manny iced a close game with a 2 run HR in the ninth.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2008, 12:39:14 AM »

Don't completely freak out.  I mean, an MLB team in AZ is more a concept than an actual reality.

Just enjoy having Baseball in your area and consider any "run" as gravy.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jendf

« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2008, 11:27:33 AM »

Don't completely freak out.  I mean, an MLB team in AZ is more a concept than an actual reality.

:bird:

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2008, 01:27:23 PM »

I don't think the franchise is doing too shabby, considering the fact that they won the world series in their fourth year of existence.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2008, 05:41:14 PM »

I don't think the franchise is doing too shabby, considering the fact that they won the world series in their fourth year of existence.

Gotta agree with you, Wretch.  Jen, WE said something about this going to the last week.  I've said the same thing to Red, about the NL East.  I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that both the NL West winner and the Mets (hey, even though I said the NL East would go to the last week, I did say that the Mets will win the division) will go to the NLCS.  Mets go to the WS, though . . . and pull off an upset.  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Chase her.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2008, 05:59:23 PM »

True, true.  But the game today isn't like the old days.  New teams do well, then fade.

Are you hoping for a freeway series?  The Angels clinched yesterday...

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2008, 06:35:42 PM »

You want reality, WE?  When was the last title you guys won?  When did the D-Backs win the Series?  Where were you last year when the D-Backs were in the NLCS?

Physician, heal thyself. 
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2008, 07:31:53 PM »

You want reality, WE?  When was the last title you guys won?  When did the D-Backs win the Series?  Where were you last year when the D-Backs were in the NLCS?

Physician, heal thyself. 

I think that perhaps you may want to go back and look more carefully at who said what.  I have generally been very respectful of Az.  They beat us flat last season.

and it was the rockies that won the NLCS, by the way.  I assume you meant the NL west, which Az indeed won.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2008, 07:33:26 PM »

Gotta agree with you, Wretch.  Jen, WE said something about this going to the last week.  I've said the same thing to Red, about the NL East.  I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that both the NL West winner and the Mets (hey, even though I said the NL East would go to the last week, I did say that the Mets will win the division) will go to the NLCS.  Mets go to the WS, though . . . and pull off an upset.  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

no predictions out of me.  it would offend the baseball gods.  hell, I am almost afraid to post at all during a winning streak. :-)

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2008, 07:39:06 PM »

no predictions out of me.  it would offend the baseball gods.  hell, I am almost afraid to post at all during a winning streak. :-)

It's been a most peculiar phenomenon... every time I bitch out the Phillies and write the campaign off, they go on a winning streak.  We need a streak now but I can't muster up another melt-down.   :(

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2008, 07:42:06 PM »

It's been a most peculiar phenomenon... every time I bitch out the Phillies and write the campaign off, they go on a winning streak.  We need a streak now but I can't muster up another melt-down.   :(

eric karros, the dodger first baseman 5 or so years ago, was a demonstrably better hitter when I screamed "you are a worthless piece of sheeeeeitt, eric karros!!" at my TV . . . from 1700 miles away . . .  it's science. :-)

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2008, 07:46:54 PM »

eric karros, the dodger first baseman 5 or so years ago, was a demonstrably better hitter when I screamed "you are a worthless piece of sheeeeeitt, eric karros!!" at my TV . . . from 1700 miles away . . .  it's science. :-)

:cheersmate: :-)  Howard and Burrell are pretty good at that, too. 

Offline jendf

« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2008, 07:54:34 PM »

I told you that when the D-backs organization started taking entries for the ticket lottery for postseason tickets, that we would be toast. They totally jinxed it. Those jackasses.

Our shitacular bullpen and non-existent offense have absolutely nothing to do with it. I swear. :-)