Author Topic: the nl east and the nl west will be a RACE down to the wire.  (Read 48225 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
the nl east and the nl west will be a RACE down to the wire.
« on: August 31, 2008, 10:22:13 PM »
LA won tonight, and the mets won.

THIS is baseball, folks!

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 11:46:56 AM by Wretched Excess »

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: the nl east and the nl west are gioing to be a RACE!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 04:47:46 AM »
It's gonna be a fun month!
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline jendf

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 11:57:06 AM »
I'm heading to Chase today with my sister, nephews, and mom to watch the D-backs play the Cardinals. Should be a nice way to spend Labor Day!

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 12:54:09 PM »
Go DBacks.  Even though I think the Cards are done for the year, being a lifelong Cubs fan, I still like to see them lose.  In the meantime, the Cubs are looking to put the hurt to the Mets. (I'm delusional, so what?)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 04:02:24 PM »
Go DBacks.  Even though I think the Cards are done for the year, being a lifelong Cubs fan, I still like to see them lose.  In the meantime, the Cubs are looking to put the hurt to the Mets. (I'm delusional, so what?)

You are delusional.  The Cubs would play the D'Bags D'Backs in the first round.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 04:31:35 PM »
Oops. Was looking at the wrong thing when I typed.  I was happy the Mets beat the Brewers today.   :innocent:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 04:46:52 PM »

THIS is baseball, folks!

LAD record of 67-70 wouldn't even be in contention in any other division (and is. of course, not even in eyeshot of LAAA). 

The second best record in the wost division in the league doesn't mean a good final run.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 04:54:38 PM »

THIS is baseball, folks!

LAD record of 67-70 wouldn't even be in contention in any other division (and is. of course, not even in eyeshot of LAAA). 

The second best record in the wost division in the league doesn't mean a good final run.

blah, blah, blah. :whatever:  3.5 games = "a close race".  deal with it. 

talk to me later in september about their record.  and with interleague play and the unbalanced schedule, it's impossible to make direct comparisons between teams within the NL.  in fact, the unbalanced schedule and interleague play make even having a wild card team just bizarre.

and screw the damn "identity crisis angels of anahole". 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 04:59:14 PM »

THIS is baseball, folks!

talk to me later in september about their record.  and with interleague play and the unbalanced schedule, it's impossible to make direct comparisons between teams within the NL.  in fact, the unbalanced schedule and interleague play make even having a wild card team just bizarre.

Hey, I'll be happy if the Dodgers win -- I have been a fan, even back when they were a good team.  At this point, I would take it they won two post-season games (you have to walk before you run).

The LAA have been contenders and winners quite a bit more than the LAD.

Just sayin'
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 05:05:41 PM »

THIS is baseball, folks!

Hey, I'll be happy if the Dodgers win -- I have been a fan, even back when they were a good team.  At this point, I would take it they won two post-season games (you have to walk before you run).

Just sayin'

the angles will always be second in socal.  MLB attendance

Offline jendf

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 06:57:05 PM »
Just got back from the D-backs game. So much fun. Tons of homeruns (8--4 from each team). Drew got a cycle and became the first to do so in Chase Field.

We got a win and that's what we needed. Woot!

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 07:03:41 PM »
Just got back from the D-backs game. So much fun. Tons of homeruns (8--4 from each team). Drew got a cycle and became the first to do so in Chase Field.

drew hit for the cycle?  huh.  I'll be.  I am surprised that this is the first one at chase field.  with the gaping alleys in that place, triples (the hard to get leg of the cycle) should be a little easier to get . . . but I suppose home runs would be a bit harder.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 07:05:51 PM »

Proving that Dodgers fans are the stupidest people in all of MLB.  Why you would encourage/reward the Boston Parking Lot Attendant for putting the worst product in MLB on the field is beyond me.  Oh, enjoy your upcoming increase in ticket prices to pay for Jones and Hernandez.

I'll always love the Dodgers, but I won't like them until they have management that gives a shit about them.  Paying for a Dodger ticket is like sitting the election out.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 07:09:00 PM by freedumb2003 »

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 07:13:14 PM »

THIS is baseball, folks!

Just sayin'

Proving that Dodgers fans are the stupidest people in all of MLB.  Why you would encourage the Boston Parking Lot Attendant for putting the worst product in MLB on the field is beyond me.

it's a thousand wonders that you don't have a permanently hyperextended elbow from constantly patting yourself on the back. :-)

"worst product in MLB" is a tiny bit of an exaggeration, isn't it?  and a bad day at the ballpark is still a damn good day . . . maybe dodger fans are just loyal . . . in '92, they lost 100 games, and bad as they were, they still drew 3,000,000 fans.  how can you fault people for watching baseball games?  that's just unamerican  :tongue:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 07:25:15 PM »
it's a thousand wonders that you don't have a permanently hyperextended elbow from constantly patting yourself on the back.
Why?  I didn't do anything.

"worst product in MLB" is a tiny bit of an exaggeration, isn't it? 
2nd or 3rd highest team salary, less than .500 -- again.  I am willing to wager dollar for dollar it is far and away the worst product in the MLB.

and a bad day at the ballpark is still a damn good day . . . maybe dodger fans are just loyal . . . in '92, they lost 100 games, and bad as they were, they still drew 3,000,000 fans.  how can you fault people for watching baseball games?  that's just unamerican
So it isn't about the Dodgers, it is about lining the pockets of the parking lot attendant a day at the park.  If people really cared about the Dodgers, they would withhold their hard-earned dollars and gas to get to Chavez Ravine until a decent team is assembled.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 07:36:11 PM »
it's a thousand wonders that you don't have a permanently hyperextended elbow from constantly patting yourself on the back.

2nd or 3rd highest team salary, less than .500 -- again.  I am willing to wager dollar for dollar it is far and away the worst product in the MLB.

and a bad day at the ballpark is still a damn good day . . . maybe dodger fans are just loyal . . . in '92, they lost 100 games, and bad as they were, they still drew 3,000,000 fans.  how can you fault people for watching baseball games?  that's just unamerican
So it isn't about the Dodgers, it is about lining the pockets of the parking lot attendant a day at the park.  If people really cared about the Dodgers, they would withhold their hard-earned dollars and gas to get to Chavez Ravine until a decent team is assembled.

I don't care how much they spend, or how much they suck, and I don't really care how much tickets cost.  I just care what time the first pitch is. :-)  it was 20 minutes ago, by the way.

and it's also not lost on me that just about none of the moves that ned colletti has made have actually worked . . .  jones, schmidt, pierre, and you could probably put furcal on that list.   but who is "hernandez"? :-)   I'm not sure how you can blame mqquart for for giving colletti all the rope he needed to hang himself . . .

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2008, 09:45:27 PM »

there were two players that hit for the cycle today.  adrian beltre (yes, formerly a dodger) just hit for the cycle for the mariners against texas.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2008, 09:49:15 PM »

I don't care how much they spend, or how much they suck, and I don't really care how much tickets cost.  I just care what time the first pitch is. :-)  it was 20 minutes ago, by the way.

and it's also not lost on me that just about none of the moves that ned colletti has made have actually worked . . .  jones, schmidt, pierre, and you could probably put furcal on that list.   but who is "hernandez"? :-)   I'm not sure how you can blame mqquart for for giving colletti all the rope he needed to hang himself . . .

I think I mean Ramirez.

Offline morningAngel

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2008, 09:55:22 PM »

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2008, 10:03:25 PM »

Proving that Dodgers fans are the stupidest people in all of MLB.  Why you would encourage/reward the Boston Parking Lot Attendant for putting the worst product in MLB on the field is beyond me.  Oh, enjoy your upcoming increase in ticket prices to pay for Jones and Hernandez.

I'll always love the Dodgers, but I won't like them until they have management that gives a shit about them.  Paying for a Dodger ticket is like sitting the election out.

you mean manny ramirez, don't you?

I don't know that they will even try.  from what I hear, he wants a 5 year/$20M+ per yr contract, and his agent is the evil dr. scott bora$$.

off the top of my head, contracts expiring this year are schmidt, furcal, kent (who is probably done for the year after a knee injury over the weekend), garciapara, penny, saito, lowe . . . that's about $55 million bucks.  but that's also a lot of holes to fill with a salary budget bloated by the dead weight of the pierre and jones contracts.  well, not THAT many holes, or not holes that don't already exist anyway, I guess, considering that schmidt has spent his 3 years with the dodgers on the DL, furcal played a very hot april, and promptly broke.  penny has been hurt this year . . . . and I already mentioned kent.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2008, 10:04:39 PM »

too late.  :-) I am going to have a running baseball thread, mA.  you can't stop me. :uhsure:

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2008, 10:08:28 PM »
LA beat the padres tonight to remain 2.5 behind Az.  that's 3 wins in a row. if they do this again tomorrow night, that would be a winning streak :hyper: :-)

Offline morningAngel

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2008, 10:21:24 PM »

too late.  :-) I am going to have a running baseball thread, mA.  you can't stop me. :uhsure:
now you are hiding them from me? did you think I wouldn't find out?
all the signs were there:
coming home late
not wanting to spend time with me
not really listening to my needs, my wants...
staying up all night
"nothing" when I asked what you were doing...
 :bawl:

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2008, 10:23:33 PM »

coming home late
staying up all night

the pine rosin on my collar was the final straw, wasn't it? :(

Offline morningAngel

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2008, 10:26:12 PM »

I could smell it a mile away!
Can't believe you were so brazen

coming home late
staying up all night

the pine rosin on my collar was the final straw, wasn't it? :(