Author Topic: California's Drought Is So Bad That Almond Farmers Are Ripping Out Trees  (Read 673 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215557315

Klaralven (4,581 posts)

California's Drought Is So Bad That Almond Farmers Are Ripping Out Trees

Christine Gemperle is about to do what almond farmers fear the most: rip out her trees early.

Water is so scarce on her orchard in California’s Central Valley that she’s been forced to let a third of her acreage go dry. In the irrigated areas, the lush, supple trees are dewy in the early morning, providing some relief from the extreme heat. Walking over to the dry side, you can actually feel the temperature start to go up as you’re surrounded by the brittle, lifeless branches that look like they could crumble into dust.

“Farming’s very risky,” said Gemperle, who will undertake the arduous process of pulling out all her trees on the orchard this fall, replacing them with younger ones that don’t need as much moisture. It’s a tough decision. Almond trees are typically a 25-year investment, and if it weren’t for the drought, these trees could’ve made it through at least another growing season, if not two. Now, they’ll be ground up into mulch.

“I don’t think a lot of people understand just how risky this business is, and it’s a risk that’s associated with something you can’t control at all: The weather,” she said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2021-06-23/california-drought-is-withering-almond-dairy-farms-in-food-inflation-threat

I brought that OP over for a reply to it from MM.  We have all witnessed the DUmmies proclaiming their brilliance and without them we would all be dead, or WORSE!  It's their regulations that keep us all safe, you see.  And if businesses can't deal with the regulations well then, they simply have no place being in business!! 

See below for their brilliance in how they save us all from death, or WORSE!!

MineralMan (138,398 posts)

12. Many Citrus Farmers in California Are Also Pulling up Entire Orchards

The increased irrigation costs due to a long-standing drought and increasing regulations on citrus-growing, have made profits all but impossible for about three years now in many citrus-growing areas.

As an example of increased state health department regulations, orchards must be inspected for animal feces on the ground. If any are found, the entire orchard must be cleaned up or the crop cannot be picked for market. Most orchards are not surrounded by fences that are deer proof, if they are fenced at all. So, deer, coyotes, rabbits, and even black bears are common visitors to orchards, meaning that there are always animal feces on the ground. Since oranges that have fallen on the ground cannot be put in picking bins for processing and sale anyhow, it is a stupid regulation, but the cost of the inspections and inevitable clean-up is just one more expense that cuts into the grower's profits. And that's just one recent regulation that has been added.

Small farmers are hit the hardest by such costs. Often, there is no option but to just pull out the trees. Their profits have been shrinking fast over the past dozen years or so due to climate change, making such farming unprofitable.

Bet he's glad his folks died quickly so he could sell their orchard before others get wise to what's going on in the citrus world.  He got his inheritance (a rather hefty one) and even managed to get all of us to dish out taxpayer funds to cover his dad's funeral expenses.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Liberals are so brilliant that they try to grow crops without the infrastructure (i.e. WATER) and then complain about it.

While I'm sure most of California is beautiful outside of the major cities, they have no natural water source.  It is essentially West Nevada/Arizona.  Most of their water is "stolen" from the Colorado river and bordering states.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Old n Grumpy

maybe they should grow less pot and deport all the illegals. :lmao: :lmao:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline SVPete

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215557315

I brought that OP over for a reply to it from MM.  We have all witnessed the DUmmies proclaiming their brilliance and without them we would all be dead, or WORSE!  It's their regulations that keep us all safe, you see.  And if businesses can't deal with the regulations well then, they simply have no place being in business!! 

I have to admit being amused at a Prog getting burned by the regulocracy he knee-jerkingly adores! :rotf:  :tongue:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
I have to admit being amused at a Prog getting burned by the regulocracy he knee-jerkingly adores! :rotf:  :tongue:

You know, they all run into the regulations at certain times in their lives and when the regulations affect THEM, then it's a bad regulation, but until that happens - ALL regulations are good and MUST be followed!!!

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Beausoleil (2,257 posts)

8. I saw it expressed as gallons (of water) per pound of almonds

1900 GALLONS!
For a single pound.

Potatoes were like 12 gal/lb.

SoonerPride (10,156 posts)

9. yes!! I heard that stat on Bill Maher last week and couldn't find a chart.

it is un-****ing believable.

I have been using almond milk in my daily cereal but will not buy it anymore.

Starting next week I will buy soy milk.

I can't condone the consumption of almond anything.

They are just too wasteful of a precious resource.

Sibelius Fan (23,813 posts)

4. It takes 1.1 gallons of water to grow a single almond.

Not exactly a drought-resilient crop.

Sibelius Fan (23,813 posts)

23. ...and a single walnut takes 4.9 gallons of water.

I love this next one.  This is a true liberal.  Complete fascist.

hunter (33,104 posts)

22. The dairy industry sucks up more water than almonds. And it stinks.

If all the factory farm dairies were replaced with almonds it would be a vast improvement and use less water.

NOBODY needs dairy products or the cheap meat products made from mutant cows raised in abusive conditions on great mounds of shit.

What really needs to happen is the restoration of land that is not really viable for farming to some sort of semi-natural state.

That land might support a few dairy animals, peacefully eating grass, but those meat and dairy products wouldn't be cheap.

I really don't give a damn if a gallon of milk or a pound of hamburger costs $50.

Subsidizing and protecting farmers who are not making the world a better place is a bizarre U.S.A. obsession.

As a nation we really ought to shut down the most environmentally and spiritually destructive forms of agriculture.

We could even pay farmers who are still living in the homes of their grandparents to restore their land to something sustainable.

Nobody would starve.

So a couple of things here.  It always amazes me when people talk about "wasting" water.  You're not really wasting it.  It's not going anywhere, but it may take a bit for it to get back to where you can use it.  All the water this planet had when it was created is still here!  (with the noted exception of any water we've shot into space which is minimal)

The people who throw these hissy fits act like that water is gone and it's never coming back.  Once we 'use' all the water on the planet that it, we're all going to die!!  Someone needs to explain the water cycle to them and see what their reaction is.

Secondly, I would LOVE to see them compare this to a freaking LITHIUM MINE!!  They are all agog and atwitter about their electric vehicles and how they should punish those of us who don't buy them.  Give me a break!  You're going to stop using almond milk because of the water that passes through the nut, but you're going to go out and buy an electric vehicle?  LOL

KC

*Stolen

Offline thundley4

What really needs to happen is the restoration of land that is not really viable for farming to some sort of semi-natural state.

That land might support a few dairy animals, peacefully eating grass, but those meat and dairy products wouldn't be cheap.

I really don't give a damn if a gallon of milk or a pound of hamburger costs $50.

Subsidizing and protecting farmers who are not making the world a better place is a bizarre U.S.A. obsession.

As a nation we really ought to shut down the most environmentally and spiritually destructive forms of agriculture.

Sounds like a whiny bitch vegan or something.  I say shut down all farm products being shipped into cities and see how long Democrats remain in control.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
How about So. Cal going desalination so they dont "suck up" all the water from the north? Dummies dont realize that Oroville Dam can have years worth of water if it didnt get shipped off to the south.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline SVPete

How about So. Cal going desalination so they dont "suck up" all the water from the north? Dummies dont realize that Oroville Dam can have years worth of water if it didnt get shipped off to the south.

The Enviros have blocked desalination. Besides, the experts in that process are the EEEEEeeeeeeevile Israelis, whom good little Proggies hate.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Old n Grumpy

I have been using almond milk in my daily cereal but will not buy it anymore.

Starting next week I will buy soy milk.

None of that shit is MILK, stupid!! MILK comes from a COW!!!

Like when you ask for butter and they bring you a little container with a bunch of chemicals they came from a factory, not a farm :thatsright:

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

Offline Ralph Wiggum

Naturally (no pun intended), the notoriously stupid AoC for her amazement that plants grow from the ground:

https://youtu.be/QVQWttPD0Cc

Offline landofconfusion80

According to my extension agency, I might have the only orchard in my county. When planning it, watering was obviously a huge concern. The acreage has 3 creeks on 3 sides and the highest point will be supplied by gray water coming from the house. ALL farming activities require water, I don't care if it's vegetables or animals. The primitives would freak about the intake of a moderate poultry operation
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline SVPete

According to my extension agency, I might have the only orchard in my county. When planning it, watering was obviously a huge concern. The acreage has 3 creeks on 3 sides and the highest point will be supplied by gray water coming from the house. ALL farming activities require water, I don't care if it's vegetables or animals. The primitives would freak about the intake of a moderate poultry operation

Many/most DUmmies are clue-free about where their food comes from. And the fact that most of the water used by a farm either goes back into the water table or back into the water cycle would probably be advanced science for them.

Offline Old n Grumpy

And I don't give a damn if a pound of tofu or a veggie burger costs $100.00.

You arrogant ass hole. :loser: :loser: :loser:

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Many/most DUmmies are clue-free about where their food comes from. And the fact that most of the water used by a farm either goes back into the water table or back into the water cycle would probably be advanced science for them.

I get the feeling a lot of the DUmmie types think that if an almond requires so much water to grow a single nut, it must be like eating a water balloon. LOL

KC

*Stolen

Offline Ralph Wiggum

They think their food was made at Whole Foods.  And they believe they're smarter than us... :mental: