Author Topic: I'm living the Republican agenda in Texas.  (Read 658 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
I'm living the Republican agenda in Texas.
« on: June 19, 2021, 09:09:01 AM »
Star Member hamsterjill (11,909 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215539272

This post is meant as a warning. Because the idiots who have done this in Texas are not going to stop at the state border. I’m living the Republican agenda, and it may very well kill me. Which is exactly what the Republicans want.

I have been jobless since the pandemic began. No, please don’t send me suggestions of where to look for jobs. Because I’ve been searching since day one. Actively. Earnestly. Seriously.

Abbott is cutting the pandemic unemployment in another week. I am going to be forced to take a job where I will literally be making less than one-half what I was making pre-pandemic. Why? Because even if there are jobs available, there are none in my field that pay anything. And most won’t hire people of a certain age - which I am.

Once I am forced to take the shit job, I won’t be making enough to cover my expenses. I won’t be able to continue to look and interview because I’ll need to be on premises at the shitty job all the time in order to make as much as I possibly can. So, I’ll be stuck. I’m too old to work more than one job. My body won’t handle that.

I stand to lose everything. Fall to my knees and weep? Every day.

The stress alone will probably kill me. That’s fine with the Republicans. Less SSI coming out of the coffers.

This is the Republican agenda. This is the outcome that Ronald Reagan wanted. They win. I give up.

Short of Stacy Abrams and Beto O’Rourke, I don’t see Democrats fighting for change. You can disagree with me. That’s fine. But I don’t see fire and fight. I see rhetoric and acquiescing. I see big ideas getting watered down to nothing. I see capitulation. I see stupidity.

Where in the hell do we go from here? I don’t have the fight left. Does anyone else? Give me some hope. Please. Give me some hope.

:thatsright:

Star Member jmbar2 (2,185 posts)

1. I am SO sorry you are in this situation

I left Texas 5 years ago because it scared me to grow old there. (In Oregon now). I now enjoy Oregon state health insurance, which was a huge motivator. However, housing is expensive and hard to find.

I don't know what your skillset is, but to paraphrase an old joke, on the internet, they don't know you are old. There has been a growth of online, remote shit jobs since the pandemic, and your age may be less of a barrier. (Check out Indeed.com remote job listings).

I was seeing the writing on the walls 10 years ago, being in the same boat. I taught myself how to daytrade. It took a long time, I lost a lot during the learning phase, but it now provides a small supplement to my social security. If that holds any interest for you, DM me and I'll share how to get started.

Hang in there and don't give up.

Star Member Nay (11,630 posts)

4. Cheap RV Living on YouTube

You are obviously totally stressed for very good reasons. I've included a link for you -- it may be undoable for you, or completely unpalatable to you, but this video (1-5) and the second that follows (6-10) talks about what to do (whether you choose to do it temporarily or semi-permanently) when disaster truly looms.

My hubby and I have always kept this option in reserve -- we traveled in a 1964 schoolbus converted to a camper from out West to the East, with a tiny baby and very little money. We lived in it for months.

Even if you feel you don't want to try this, maybe watch just the videos that are relevant to your situation right now.

I hope things get better for you soon!

P.S. Please feel free to send me A DU Mail message if you have any questions.

Star Member Hortensis (46,099 posts)

19. Your dilemma is new to you, but others have always faced it.

The current problem of Democrats in office as always full of wonderful plans and as always eager to carry them out -- except that voters didn't give them enough power -- is the usual one and pretty much explains it all.

So, your job is to take care of yourself. If you really don't see yourself returning to your previous state of wellbeing, figurer out the life you want to live with less means and go for it. We were both industry-downturned into too-early retirements and have already downscaled to much lesser means, but are happy in retirement. In this portion of life, we go where our kids and my husband's fishing take us but make sure there's still gardening stuff for me.

You may not be ready to consider it, but if you're fortunate enough to have a house you can't afford to keep, maybe start thinking of selling it? Soon? If that's in the future, do it proactively before you're in a hole. It's a seller's market now too. If possible invest at least some of it to give even a little income and/or growth.

The possibility of living in an RV is already suggested  , so I'll leap in with my tried-and-loved alternate way of existence: a MH on land in a pleasant neighborhood or in a park. We've had one on a canal off Tampa Bay with every convenience a bike ride away and one surrounded by wilderness marsh. I feel really sorry for people who down-scale their living to dreary low-end apartment houses in dreary neighborhoods, when they could have a much better lifestyle by choosing first for the most appealing location and neighbors they can afford.

Nice parks aren't full of poor people. MH's are extremely comfortable and economical and can be remodeled to suit. You can have space to garden or make sure you never have to again. Btw, for our vacation homes so far, we've chosen to own the land outright or as part of a cooperative, rather than paying lot rent. Renting while you decide where to end up is of course an economical option. Just a thought, but you have to live somewhere and should examine all possibilities.

keithbvadu2 (21,067 posts)

25. Become a Trumper and you'll have the faith!

Become a Trumper and you'll have the faith!

Become an AMWAY acolyte, sell products and convince others to sell under you.
You'll do great.

(Although the real AMWAY wealth is made by selling pep rallies and motivational supplies to the rubes at the bottom.)

::)

czarjak (4,674 posts)

28. The cruelty is the point for them.

Star Member jalan48 (11,787 posts)

31. Abbott is getting his marching orders from the uber-capitalists that put him in office. These folks

are telling us you will work for what we tell you. Reagan pushed hard against the unions and it's been a decline in membership since the 80's. Without an "identity politics" of the working class things are only going to get worse.

Star Member treestar (78,669 posts)

66. The Democrats are dealing with the republicans

The ones you are living this way because of, you claim. Then you proceed to put them down. Beto is not even in office and he gets credit.

Star Member carpetbagger (3,228 posts)

69. We just don't have the votes.

I lived in Florida from 2007 to 2020 before returning. Lots more fight with Texas Dems.

:yawn:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline SVPete

Re: I'm living the Republican agenda in Texas.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 09:52:34 AM »
Taxpayers are supposed to subsidize Rodent-Jill’s search for a “good enough” job?

A little contrasting personal history … the Dot-Bomb started in 2000. I was laid off in late 2001, after 9/11 compounded the downturn/recession. I searched and sent out resumes daily, for nearly 9 months. When I got a job offer at $12,000 a year less than the 5-figure salary from which I was laid off (i.e. not a minor 12K less than a middle 6-figures salary), I took it. It took 3 jobs and over 10 years to get back to the salary I was earning in late 2001. Other than the normal UEI - insurance for which I had paid (along with my employers) - I didn’t try to get on government social programs.

Taxpayers have subsidized Rodent-Jill’s pride long enough. Why do I suspect that her job skills aren’t enormously greater than entry level?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 10:03:39 AM »
Star Member hamsterjill (11,909 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215539272

This post is meant as a warning. Because the idiots who have done this in Texas are not going to stop at the state border. I’m living the Republican agenda, and it may very well kill me. Which is exactly what the Republicans want.

I have been jobless since the pandemic began. No, please don’t send me suggestions of where to look for jobs. Because I’ve been searching since day one. Actively. Earnestly. Seriously.

Abbott is cutting the pandemic unemployment in another week. I am going to be forced to take a job where I will literally be making less than one-half what I was making pre-pandemic. Why? Because even if there are jobs available, there are none in my field that pay anything. And most won’t hire people of a certain age - which I am.

Once I am forced to take the shit job, I won’t be making enough to cover my expenses. I won’t be able to continue to look and interview because I’ll need to be on premises at the shitty job all the time in order to make as much as I possibly can. So, I’ll be stuck. I’m too old to work more than one job. My body won’t handle that.

The stress alone will probably kill me. That’s fine with the Republicans. Less SSI coming out of the coffers.

This is the Republican agenda. This is the outcome that Ronald Reagan wanted. They win. I give up.

Short of Stacy Abrams and Beto O’Rourke, I don’t see Democrats fighting for change. You can disagree with me. That’s fine. But I don’t see fire and fight. I see rhetoric and acquiescing. I see big ideas getting watered down to nothing. I see capitulation. I see stupidity.

Where in the hell do we go from here? I don’t have the fight left. Does anyone else? Give me some hope. Please. Give me some hope.

So, DUmmie just inadvertently admitted what we’ve been saying all along. As long as the expanded benefits are there, DUmmie didn’t need to work, and didn’t.

Now DUmmie is going back to being a productive member of society. Good.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 10:15:06 AM »
there are none in my field that pay anything. And most won’t hire people of a certain age - which I am.

So!  Texas is fully open, right?  Why didn't this DUmmie's former employer rehire them?

I'm guessing they used some BS excuse about being afraid to work because of the pandemic and voluntarily left their job for the easy money of unemployment. Bitch got use to the high rolling lifestyle funded by taxpayers and don't want a pay cut from getting unemployment.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 10:23:54 AM »
So!  Texas is fully open, right?  Why didn't this DUmmie's former employer rehire them?

I'm guessing they used some BS excuse about being afraid to work because of the pandemic and voluntarily left their job for the easy money of unemployment. Bitch got use to the high rolling lifestyle funded by taxpayers and don't want a pay cut from getting unemployment.

That is exactly what happened to a few of my employees. They claimed fear, then told us to call them back when the expanded benefits ended. Nope. Last I heard they were all still looking for a job. Don’t care. They left me in a bind.

These were people earning between $15/hour and $19/hour.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 10:46:31 AM »

That is exactly what happened to a few of my employees. They claimed fear, then told us to call them back when the expanded benefits ended. Nope. Last I heard they were all still looking for a job. Don’t care. They left me in a bind.

These were people earning between $15/hour and $19/hour.

KC

Retail stores are offering $15/hour with insurance and they still can't find people.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 12:08:26 PM »
Two things:

1) The hamsterjill primitive may live in Texas, but her give-up attitude is not one of a true Texan.

2) She should be happy that the reduction of her carbon footprint will benefit the rest of the world.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 12:17:55 PM »

I call BS. Here in North Idaho employers cant get workers. If on the dole they don't want to work. An example:  A local Ace Hardware started advertising jobs. Starting wage was 13.00 hr. No not much but it par for the course here. Then they upped it to 14.25, now 15.00 hr with full bennies. The ad is still up.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2021, 01:50:48 PM »
Abbott is cutting the pandemic unemployment in another week. I am going to be forced to take a job where I will literally be making less than one-half what I was making pre-pandemic. Why? Because even if there are jobs available, there are none in my field that pay anything.

So, here are a few suggestions:
1. live within your means, cut your expenses.
2. learn new marketable skills, it's easy and well worth it.

What happened to your old job? are you so useless they don't want you back?

Since you live in Texas I assume the weather is mild so go to a big box appliance store and get several heavy duty refrigerator and washing machine boxes and build yourself new digs. I am sure there are parks and public land you can set up your own little hooverville.
Check Harbor Freight flyers as they often have blue tarps on sale really cheep. Good luck and next time vote republican. :loser: :loser: :loser:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline SVPete

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2021, 02:29:46 PM »
Unless Rodent-Jill is a model or a stripper, age matters little when you have needed skills. When I was hired for my current job I was almost 62. Rodent-Jill is just blowing smoke to hide her unwillingness to take a job she feeeeeeeeeeeeels is beneath her dignity.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2021, 04:48:17 PM »

Could you PLEASE record and post it?  I would even get tik toc on one of my extra laptops to see it.  It would be shceduled popcorn.

See above comment about tik tok.  But this might be one time so please warn me so I don't set up a recurring reminder.

What is your field again that you cannot make what you were making before the pandemic?
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline BamaMoose

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2021, 05:50:28 PM »
From last year:

hamsterjill (11,913 posts)  Tue Jan 28, 2020, 10:18 PM

For Boomers who still work, a question.

Full disclosure, I’m in my early sixties and I cannot wait until the moment I can retire.

I was employed in the same company for 16 years. In 2017, the owner of the small business retired and the business closed. I was out of a job.

I’m now on my third job since that time and seriously hate it.

Question: am I just an old Boomer who expects more than should be expected, or has the job situation really changed that much? I am in an administrative position, but so far at this new job, I’ve been asked to move heavy boxes, put book cases together that required full assembly, and take out the garbage. I’m capable of taking out garbage. I’m no better than the cleaning person. But wasn’t there a time long ago where a job description generally indicated your area of responsibility? It was a little difficult moving the boxes and putting the shelves together, too.

What say you fellow Boomers? And yes, I do know that I should be grateful to have a job. I’m just interested in others’ experience. This is a relatively small company and there’s no HR department, but even still. What if someone got hurt? Don’t employers even think of that any more? 

https://www.democraticunderground.com/11811331

So, she's a secretary who got fired 3 times in three years.  She's worked at small businesses and wants to sit behind her desk and not do a thing that isn't explicitly called out in her job description (which doesn't fly at a small office).  And, she's counting the days until she can get Social Security, and probably made that fact known to everyone she's ever worked with.  I think I see why she's having issues getting a job, and it's not because of Republicans.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2021, 06:48:45 PM »
Because even if there are jobs available, there are none in my field that pay anything. And most won’t hire people of a certain age - which I am.

My guess: Programmer or stripper.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2021, 07:28:48 PM »
My guess: Programmer or stripper.

It mentions somewhere an office clerk for a real estate development company?
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Kc25

• **** your feelings.
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2021, 09:31:28 PM »

So, DUmmie just inadvertently admitted what we’ve been saying all along. As long as the expanded benefits are there, DUmmie didn’t need to work, and didn’t.

Now DUmmie is going back to being a productive member of society. Good.

KC

That's it exactly...

Offline Delmar

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2021, 12:01:53 AM »
Response to druidity33 (Reply #38)Fri Jun 18, 2021, 05:29 PM
Star Member hamsterjill (11,918 posts)
39. Thank you, and I would in a heartbeat if I could.

I run a small cat rescue and the property I have is configured for that.
I could not possibly uproot that operation unfortunately. I also have elder family members here.

But I thank you SO much for your desire to help.

Her image in my mind's eye is getting clearer now--a crazy cat lady.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline SVPete

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2021, 09:01:09 AM »
Crazy Cat Lady or one-person rescue, it means she has substantial pet food and vet bills. She may also take more personal (cat) calls during work hours than ordinary, leading to reprimands and firings.

She has strikes against her that are not of Abbott’s or Trump’s doing. Despite being 60-something, her job skills are very moderate. Her recent job history has frequent changes. She comes with her own ideas of what her duties should be (attitude!). She probably hasn’t kept up her skills to all that is expected of an admin, limiting her usefulness and ability to grow/advance.

She needs to cut back her optional expenses, and one should be pausing her “rescue” - take in no more cats and find homes for all but one or two of those she has. If she’s taken advantage of the temporary no-evictions reg and not paid rent for much of the past year she’s got a bigger problem hanging over her - eviction - that will forcibly shut down her “rescue” and possibly have her living in her car or worse.

All in all, the more she puts off taking survival jobs the more her attitude will make her unemployable and the worse her situation will grow.