Author Topic: If we lose control of Congress in these upcoming midterms, ...  (Read 533 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Star Member Atticus (10,929 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215502227

If we lose control of Congress in these upcoming midterms, do not assume that there will be a "next election" that means anything.

I think it likely that a Trump Party Congress would impeach, convict and remove President Biden and possibly also Vice President Harris. The 2024 "election" would be decided by Congress as they simply would refuse to confirm ANY Democrat.

That the Trumpies are intent on stealing the midterms is no longer really a subject of debate.

GOP state legislators are working tirelessly across the nation to make it as difficult as possible for people who might "vote wrong" to cast their ballots. Taking their cue from their Dear Leader, they no longer hesitate to "say the quiet part out loud" and have adopted shameless arrogance as "the Republican way". They are ready and willing to do ANYTHING---no exceptions or restrictions--- to win control of the Congress, the next and last election and the nation's future.

Those citizens who are able to stay registered or get re-registered and make their way to the long lines at the new distant polling places chosen by Trump loyalists may find themselves confronted by angry partisan Trumpist "poll watchers". And, you know what? They've got to do that and we've got to help them.

As long as we are healthy, we will be voting early in Illinois so we will be free to canvass again in Ohio or Wisconsin or WHEREVER we can help get our voters out on election day. We will be contributing financially to help fund a legal strike force capable of responding to the Trump cults theft attempts. If we lose the Congress in 2022, I don't want it to be because I was sitting on my ass whining about how "mean" those damn Trumpies are. Stuff needs doing.

Again---don't assume there'll be another election if we lose this one. All our chips are on the table.

:whatever:

Pobeka (3,481 posts)

1. The 67 votes in the Senate hurdle won't let them remove Biden or Harris.

But you're right, they'll impeach multiple times just for the sound bytes.

On edit: Yes, with minority votes suppressed in 2024, I see no way to retain a DEM in the WH, we got there in 2020 by margins that were too narrow to lose any votes to suppression.

Star Member Silent3 (10,924 posts)

26. They can also refuse to confirm the 2024 election results

...if Biden wins, and a simple majority is required for the vote to be confirmed, not 2/3 against the confirmation.

That should be, as it always has been, simply a ceremonial act, but if a Republican majority simply refuses to confirm a Democratic presidential victory, we'd be in uncharted territory, with a 6-3 Republican SCOTUS deciding the outcome.

Star Member uponit7771 (77,405 posts)

4. K&R, there are still people who think you're being hyperbolic despite the evidence that is in front

... of the world regarding the intentions of the GQP and voting access.7

People think the dems can just brute force our way into winning elections after GQP reduces access to voting when that hasn't worked anywhere in the world consistently after a reduction to voting access.

We need to push our representative to turn up the rhetoric and themes against voter suppression and put this a top of the list of threats to America along with 1/6 terrorist.

Where is Bloomberg or the other wealthy dem candidates when it comes to our democracy being threatened ?!!?

Star Member Crunchy Frog (23,970 posts)

7. The DOJ and the House may want to consider getting their acts together.

(There need to be Bengazi type hearings in the House, and SOON.)

Star Member gab13by13 (3,535 posts)

19. I'm still waiting for the DOJ to show up in Arizona where federal election laws are being violated.

This thread tells it like it is, people don't realize how serious this shit is. Schumer should be bringing up bills every day, every week to break the filibuster. He should be bringing up S1 every day.

What makes people think that the new GQP will adhere to the Constitution for impeaching Biden and Harris? They don't play the same game that Democrats play.

23. As Max Boot just said on CNN as I type this at 9:09 p.m. in Illinois, it is "very possible"

that we are witnessing the death of American democracy.

Yes, what I said is alarming and extreme and it "has never happened before", but the assumption that "it will all work out" because "it always has" is what Germans and Czechs and Russians said before autocratic regimes replaced their governments. "On Tyranny" by Timothy Snyder details this.

"You don't know, when you make love for the last time, that you're making love for the last time. Voting is like that."

:thatsright:

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Old n Grumpy

Re: If we lose control of Congress in these upcoming midterms, ...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 09:09:35 AM »

If we lose control of Congress in these upcoming midterms, do not assume that there will be a "next election" that means anything.

I think it likely that a Trump Party Congress would impeach, convict and remove President Biden and possibly also Vice President Harris. The 2024 "election" would be decided by Congress as they simply would refuse to confirm ANY Democrat.

We should be so lucky, that would be a dream come true!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Using the left's strategy against them! :thatsright: :thatsright:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 09:39:07 AM »
No, Rs are not as partisanly unprincipled and hatred-driven as Pelosiroo and Schifftyroo.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 10:14:09 AM »

I think it likely that a Trump Party Congress would impeach, convict and remove President Biden and possibly also Vice President Harris.

Pobeka (3,481 posts)

and just like that, the DUmmies are against using impeachment as a political weapon against the majority party's opposition....
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 10:45:56 AM »
Pobeka (3,481 posts)

DU guilt by projection, exhibit 125864398974.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 04:00:50 PM by ADsOutburst »

Offline SVPete

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 10:58:59 AM »
Pobeka (3,481 posts)

Nope, Congressional Rs are smarter than Pelosiroo and Schifftyroo. Not that they are an especially high standard of intelligence.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 11:03:49 AM »
If...
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline old dog 2

• pork eating infidel
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2021, 11:34:25 AM »
If...

If they can't pass HR1/S1, they are dead meat in '22.  Even if they pass it they are 50/50 to lose Congress.  There's gonna be more poll watchers and lawsuits than Steinmeyer has beans.
Truly, whoever can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.  - Voltaire

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 11:50:49 AM »
If they can't pass HR1/S1, they are dead meat in '22.  Even if they pass it they are 50/50 to lose Congress.  There's gonna be more poll watchers and lawsuits than Steinmeyer has beans.
Wouldn't it end up in the Supreme Court, since it involves a Constitutional question? If it does, I would assume that it wouldn't be decided, one way or the other, before the mid-terms.

Offline old dog 2

• pork eating infidel
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2021, 05:05:35 PM »
Wouldn't it end up in the Supreme Court, since it involves a Constitutional question? If it does, I would assume that it wouldn't be decided, one way or the other, before the mid-terms.

It SHOULD end up in the supreme court IF John Roberts doesn't do another "duck and cover" under his desk when the mob starts screaming.
Truly, whoever can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.  - Voltaire