Author Topic: What Motivates Joe Manchin?  (Read 526 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
What Motivates Joe Manchin?
« on: June 07, 2021, 08:38:47 AM »
Star Member MineralMan (138,117 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215502211

The same thing that motivates most elected politicians - getting re-elected. It's a great job, being a US Senator.

So, if Manchin wants to keep that job after the 2024 election, he has to get a majority of votes in his state - West Virginia. If you live in that state, he cares what you think. If you don't, he doesn't. It is just that simple.

So, if you live in WV, get in touch with him right away. If you don't, start thinking today about your own Senators and their next election.

:yawn:

Star Member doc03 (27,795 posts)

1. Perhaps the way to Joe Manchin is to show the people of WV what Joe Manchin is holding up

that they would benefit from. Do an ad campaign in WV not against Manchin but showing them what they are going to lose.
The Governor of WV a Republican and Trump supporter seems to be more in line with helping his state than Manchin. Maybe try and get Governor Jim Justice publicly behind the plan. Everyone in WV complains about the roads.

Star Member CousinIT (6,065 posts)

2. Koch Bros. US Chamber of Commerce. And their money.

All of which are AGAINST For The People Act and voting rights.

Star Member spinbaby (14,214 posts)

3. I keep remembering a trip to Farmington

Sometime in the 80s, my husband and I took a drive to see the site of the Farmington Number 9 mine disaster. Some years earlier, he had had a job in which, during a mine strike, he went into the mine by himself to take gas readings. He had described the feeling of being in a mine that still contained bodies and smelled burnt.

There wasn’t really anything left to see at the mine site, but I distinctly remember the drive through the small town of Farmington. Every business in town seemed to have the Manchin name on it. I remember a convenience store, a clinic of some kind, and a couple of other businesses. The message was clear—Manchins owned this town.

:rotf:

Xolodno (4,680 posts)

6. I used to joke around...a Republican in California is a Democrat in Kansas. Not true anymore, but it does point out in deep red states, in order to keep their jobs, they have to do some things the rest won't agree with. Reality is, they are easily replaced with someone with to Mitch's liking.

We shouldn't be focusing on him, but looking to others we can flip.

wackadoo wabbit (458 posts)

7. There's that, but it's mostly dark money

It's the same with Sinema. She knows she's not getting reelected, but she doesn't care so long as she can get that sweet, sweet dark money now.

9. One does not become a Senator without a powerful ego.

I think Sinema does think she can be re-elected. So does Manchin.

As for "dark money," I'd like to see some data on that for individual Senators. It's certainly possible, but I'm not seeing any data, just assumptions.

:stoner:

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline SVPete

Re: What Motivates Joe Manchin?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 09:31:39 AM »
Yeah, Manchin could not possibly believe he's doing what is right. OTOH, DUmmies should reflect on their own theory, that the voters of WV reject them.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 10:08:06 AM »

apparently not george soros $$$$
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 10:48:20 AM »
Ah yes, money. The left's lazy, simplistic explanation of why anyone who isn't a far-left loon behaves the way they do.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 11:19:50 AM »
Maybe actual principles rather than pandering to the whim of the moonbats?
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 12:22:59 PM »
Maybe actual principles rather than pandering to the whim of the moonbats?

I thought it a mistake in 2018 for Republicans to try so hard to defeat him in West Virginia.

Of course Republicans had an obligation to run someone for that position, gut given who he is, they didn't have to try that hard to beat him.

Manchin would probably be a Republican senator by now, but he isn't because of hard feelings left over from that race.

Republicans need to use their resources on Republican candidates running against Democrats more hostile to us, not those who could be our good friends.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline old dog 2

• pork eating infidel
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 12:23:31 PM »
In addition to the filibuster, he's recently come out against the HR1/SR1"Steal the Vote" and court packing.  He wants to insure re-election despite his impeachment vote. 
Truly, whoever can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.  - Voltaire

Offline old dog 2

• pork eating infidel
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2021, 12:25:32 PM »
In addition to the filibuster, he's recently come out against the HR1/SR1"Steal the Vote" and court packing.  He wants to insure re-election despite his impeachment vote.

I agree 100%.  We have bigger fish to fry in '22 and '24.
Truly, whoever can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.  - Voltaire

Offline old dog 2

• pork eating infidel
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 12:29:08 PM »
 I meant to quote franksolich's post not my own.   :rotf:

Offline SVPete

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2021, 12:54:37 PM »
I meant to quote franksolich's post not my own.   :rotf:

I hear that talking to yourself is a sign of ... I forget what ... ummmmm, well, something. :rotf:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2021, 05:48:45 PM »
Well, talk about alienation.

https://justthenews.com/government/congress/durbin-spokeswoman-deletes-tweet-criticizing-manchin-locks-account

Durbin spokeswoman posts tweet critical of West Virginia Democrat Sen. Manchin

Senators tend to have touchy egos, and this is the time Democrats need to be kissing Joe Manchin's ass, not kicking it.

Oh well.  Their fumble, not ours.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2021, 06:34:26 PM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215502211

The same thing that motivates most elected politicians - getting re-elected. It's a great job, being a US Senator.

So, if Manchin wants to keep that job after the 2024 election, he has to get a majority of votes in his state - West Virginia. If you live in that state, he cares what you think. If you don't, he doesn't. It is just that simple.

So, if you live in WV, get in touch with him right away. If you don't, start thinking today about your own Senators and their next election.

The DUmmies hating on Joe Manchin like they do with Kyrsten Sinema. Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema are the new targets of DUmmies rage since Tulsi Gabbard is no longer in Congress.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du